PDA

View Full Version : servicing questions 92 civic

kstar
10-01-2006, 04:55 PM
ok so i just had my first service and im sure you will all tell me off (im running for cover) i took it to kmart auto since the mechanic is a family friend.

anyway - all is well car is running fine - however i have now been advised of all these other things that need doing such as:
wheel alignment
radiator coolant replacement
and apparently i have two torn cv boots?

does this make sense to anyone and are the other things easy to do yourself - i have serviced a car before myself but that was an 87 corolla - very different to what i have under the hood now.

any help will be great - thanks guys :)

civ_sik
10-01-2006, 05:05 PM
you can most likely do the boots and coolant yourself, but id leave the wheel allignment to a pro.

kstar
10-01-2006, 05:41 PM
cool so im assuming all id need is the cars manual to figure out how to do it?

i dont want to get ripped off just cos im a girl.

or if anyone can point in the direction of a good mechanic in the bayside area?

heist
10-01-2006, 06:05 PM
wheel alignment and wheel balancing cost me all up $50 yesterday....so dont get charged more than that....

there is a DIY coolant change in the articles/reviews section...search for it....

as for cv boots, i usually cahnge the whole drive shafts so yeah, get your mechanic friend to do it....shouldnt be too exxy

EuroDude
10-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Go to an auto shop such as AutoOne and get yourself a Haynes Maintanence manual for your car model. It will tell you how to do pretty much everything yourself except for the professional stuff like gearbox reconditioning.

The coolant can be a bit tricky but its do-able for a confident Do-It-Yourselfer.
The coolant drainage bolt on the exhaust side of the engine detered me away from doing this myself - I just could not reach the freekin thing properly, plus it was very tight.

U can get the wheels aligned by a tyre place such as Bob Jane T-Mart.

The CV boots are tricky as well as you need to disassemble the suspention and knock out the wheel nutt. IMO you should get a mechanic to do this cause its alot of hard work. Get a Mobile Mechanic to come to you if you rather not be without your car for too long. My mech did both CV boots in about an hour (would have taken me all day lol)

EG5[KRT]
10-01-2006, 06:54 PM
coolant is easy drain and fill.. leave the rad cap off and wait for fans to cut in.

wheel alignment get bob jane or beurepaires to do it coz they use machines n stuff to align

cv boots u have to take off hub bolt and ball joint and take out the driveshafts
then take off the old boots,.. clean them off making sure u dont get any dirt in there... put new grease around the joints and new boots on and secure tightly then reinstall.

kstar
10-01-2006, 07:24 PM
how much should cv boots cost to get done?

Weq
10-01-2006, 08:09 PM
cv's should cost around 100-150~ for the pair. kmart sucks for servicing though.

panda[cRx]
10-01-2006, 08:18 PM
kmart sucks for servicing though.

:!:

kstar
10-01-2006, 08:49 PM
yeah ive learnt my lesson and now ill find someone decent

thanks for your help its much appreciated :)

EG5[KRT]
10-01-2006, 10:05 PM
cvs are much easier to get someone to do i.e pay someone coz its a really dirty job lol

servicing u can really do urself :P if u have the correct tools.

kstar
11-01-2006, 09:24 AM
cool i was thinking of taking like a short course in how to do basic things unless of course someone here can point me in the direction of the right threads to read. yes, i know, my newbie colours are shining through - so thankyou so much for all your help :)

VTC-8OY
11-01-2006, 12:26 PM

wynode
11-01-2006, 12:27 PM

kmart sux period.......don't know why anyone would even work there LOL

krasyvy
11-01-2006, 12:35 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70&page=1&pp=12

look there for service manuals

they are very good for servicing ur car

krasyvy
11-01-2006, 12:52 PM
actually i just realised that the 92-95 civic manual isn't up there

wyn - i've got a copy of this

u want me to upload it somewhere for everyone else?

huynh12345
12-01-2006, 02:41 AM
hey kstar bleeding the coolant outta the radiator is pretty ez cos i got a civic 93 but ... same shit the cars radiator is tiny and the bleed screw isnt much further from the radiator .. then unscrew that .. then MASS coolant will come out .. wait till its all out then get a water hose wash it completely till the coolant and water comes out ALL water then after that rescrew the bolt in .. then get your coolant and fill it to the top then when u see the coolant is filling to the top.. then run ur engine and the coolent will get sucked down then keep filling then rescrew in the cap and thats it your done hahaha =P

kstar
12-01-2006, 09:06 AM
if you could put those manual up that would be awesome :)

so draining the coolant sounds like an easy process - thanks :)

EuroDude
12-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Those online manuals have broken links, were they in PDF format?

krasyvy, you can buy a 92-95 Civic Haynes manual (hard copy) from Repco stores, and possibly other auto shops. Though the one I got was only for SOHC engines, not sure if the DOHC one is available here.

krasyvy
13-01-2006, 09:31 AM
Those online manuals have broken links, were they in PDF format?

krasyvy, you can buy a 92-95 Civic Haynes manual (hard copy) from Repco stores, and possibly other auto shops. Though the one I got was only for SOHC engines, not sure if the DOHC one is available here.

yeh i have one, i dont get what your trying to say.?

EuroDude
13-01-2006, 10:42 AM
No worries, I didnt realise you already have one. I was suggesting you get a manual from Repco if you had no luck finding one online.

ctr kid
13-01-2006, 11:21 PM
u can take ur drive shafts out and take them to a cv joint they should exchange the torn boots for about 20 to 25 each boot then all u have to do is put them back!