PDA

View Full Version : Steelies VS Rims - handling advantage?

Weq
11-01-2006, 03:14 PM
OK,

Lets say i want to keep my car as a sleeper. I currently run a set of lightweight 15" rims. If i source a set of 15" steelies and use the same profile tyres on each setup, same total weight, which will perform better? Or will the both perform the same? ANd why? :)

wynode
11-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Steelies will bend/flex so I wouldn't rely on em for going around corners (and u do cause you have a sway bar lol)

EuroAccord13
11-01-2006, 03:24 PM
For a start :) Alloy wheels are more rigid in terms of strength so what the alloy can take in force, the steel version might not... Alloy wheels are also better at dissipating heat and can take higher temp than steels wheels too....

|N|
11-01-2006, 03:25 PM
if u serious abt handling .. ie havin sway and coils and all that.... it ll put alot more stress on the wheels... and steelies r not exactly stong enf.,... might enf up with a oval steelies ...

ctn
11-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Get better rubber before better wheels.

tank
11-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Steelies are just fine for the street.

Cop V8 pursuit cars have been using steelies for years.

Light weight alloy or forged alloy rims are better for handling because they are lighter than steelies.

A lighter rim will result in lower unsprung mass which is good for handling. Your suspension will have a easier time keeping the tyres/wheels in contact with the road.

A car will also accelerate better with a lighter wheel.

BlitZ
11-01-2006, 06:34 PM
i always thought steelies were stronger than alloy...

the disadvantages are the width. I reckon if u can get the same weight alloy and steelie (with the same width (perfer 7")) running 205 than i dont see a difference, unless someone can proves steelies is softer than alloys that is...

EuroAccord13
11-01-2006, 07:50 PM
A lighter rim will result in lower unsprung mass which is good for handling. Your suspension will have a easier time keeping the tyres/wheels in contact with the road.

Good point and true, but Weq stated that both the steelies and alloys are of the same weight, so the unsprung mass can't be taken into account as it is not lighter than the steel wheel, then again, where to find a "just as light" steel wheel the same weight as the alloy unless the width is narrower...

bennjamin
11-01-2006, 08:45 PM
steelies are far weaker than any "mags" - both at the rim point and at around the hub - i rode on steelies for some time and after a few decent potholes + some spirited driving there was a noticeable warp to the steelie. Great for the straight line tho

Weq
11-01-2006, 09:39 PM
steelies are far weaker than any "mags" - both at the rim point and at around the hub - i rode on steelies for some time and after a few decent potholes + some spirited driving there was a noticeable warp to the steelie. Great for the straight line tho

Yes i also noticed this.

This isnt my car btw, its for a mate, so basically its hypothetical. I was also unde the impression that steelies wouldnt hold there form as well as ridgid alloys... Intersting...

WHen asking this quesiton, i assume both wheels weigh the same and both wheels take the same profile tyres. Basically, which material is better. I know steelies dont allow cooling as much as allows do (Both brakes and tyres)

bennjamin
11-01-2006, 09:44 PM
even any oem mags are far superior IMO in everyway.

|N|
11-01-2006, 09:46 PM
even any oem mags are far superior IMO in everyway.

wat abt my rrims?

bennjamin
11-01-2006, 10:18 PM
wat abt my rrims?

yes Nick. your "mags" are far better than "steelies".

xtercii
12-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Are steelies even possible to be the same weight as lightweight mags? They are heavy as…

STTICH
12-01-2006, 12:19 PM
an almost similar thread on this u may refer to.. :) ==> http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19183 (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19183)

BlitZ
12-01-2006, 12:30 PM
steelies are lighter then 70% of the alloy rims out there..

but if people experience flex than i dont think they are any good.. but for outright acceleration.. steelies rock...

bennjamin
12-01-2006, 01:52 PM
i think our main concern here is strength of the actual wheel more than actual "Weight"

BlitZ
13-01-2006, 09:16 AM
when people say the steel wheels flex.. are you's sure its the wheel and not the tyre?

bennjamin
13-01-2006, 10:34 AM
when people say the steel wheels flex.. are you's sure its the wheel and not the tyre?

Normally it is the "tyre" flexing , due to most "steelies" running big profiles (60+) giving less response than other wheels.~ Under normal conditions ofcourse. But yes, they do "flex/warp" and stay unbalanced much much easier than normal cast mags etc.

wynode
13-01-2006, 11:55 AM
steelies are lighter then 70% of the alloy rims out there..

I don't know about that figure but yes, I would say they are lighter than most of the alloy rims out there.

I measured the weight of 205/50/15 tyres on a super light rim (3.9KG) and it was only about 1-2KG lighter than steelies with a 60 profile tyre (or whatever it is that comes stock with a EG civic).

Both wheels were inflated to around the same PSI.

Weq
14-01-2006, 10:57 AM
well his getting the steelies anyway, so i guess i'll be able to answer this question in more detail later.

Domokun SPL
15-01-2006, 09:20 PM
What makes everyone think a steelie will flex? Just coz it comes with the car standard?

I am sure the honda put the car through testing etc before releasing it on the market and said, well, these wheels are suitable for the limits that this car has. Dont forget, you are driving Integras/Preludes/Civics, which are really designed for "sporty" feel, not an NSX where clearly they didnt come with steel wheels so dont put them on.

Saying that, I am sure a mag wheel will perform better then a steel wheel when you take the car to the LIMITS, or mod it beyond factory and then take it to the limits. But really, it depends on the wheel that you are using.

Give honda a call and say "why should i put the upgrade option alloy wheels on my civic, will it be any better handling?" and get transfered through and through until you reach the R+D dept. :)