PDA

View Full Version : ENGINE NOT REVVING WELL...NEED HELP!!!

JO3
03-04-2004, 07:31 PM
hey ppl..
i just bought a civic vtir not too long ago and this was what happened..

if i drive my car real hard and changing gears only around 8000 rpm ...
after i stop....the car rev's up and down when on neutral gear with my leg on the accelerator constantly...
ie: say if i rev it up to 2000rpm..it'll drop to 1000rpm and bring it up again constantly....
but this only happens on low rev..bring it up to 4000rpm and it'll be ok..

and this only happens after i drive the car real hard...
drive it smoothly and everything will be fine..

i've got no mods on the car at the moment..
well i did have a pod filter and thought that was the problem..
but now that it's on standard air box it's still giving the same problem...

really need advice from ppl who has experience something similar...
could it be my v-tec as it screams around 6000rpm-8000rpm..
i tried taking the battery out and putting back in again to reset the com..

thanks ppl...
or is there anyone i can bring to check this out...
i'm in sydney and i'm not in a position to fork out a lot to bring it back to honda...

ne suggestions?????
thanks..
joe

Javed
04-04-2004, 01:08 AM
sorry have to say this... Stop driving your car so hard maybe? How often do you thrash your poor stock little bugger to 8000 rpm? maybe your timing is out? Im not sure... some of the more experienced fellas will give detailed info, but if you could tell us how long it takes to go away after a thrash (does it go away if you keep driving the car normally afterwards? OR does it only go away when the car is switched off after the problem, then started again later for the next run?). Also to reset the ecu i dont think taking the battery out does it, im pretty sure you have to remove a fuse or something for a certain period of time, if its anything similar to the integra.

EuroAccord13
04-04-2004, 02:15 AM
Mmm.. Maybe your ISC needs to be checked or The ECU is trying to learn your driving stlye(Not sure if Honda ECU can do that)...

CHEERS

Kit
04-04-2004, 04:58 AM
JO3, is this an EK civic?

Ek civics tended to have idle control problems. the idle control module might need to be replaced, however, if this is happening when your foot is on the accelerator then it may not be an idle problem.

if you slow down and stop, but only step on teh clutch at the last second, does the revs drop to about 500rpm before slowly coming back up to about 8-900?

2ds
04-04-2004, 05:01 AM
sif thrash, that engine loves being reved out to 8k =p
it will do it all day long

but seriously man, take it a mechanic.

-2ds

r|Ce_bOi
04-04-2004, 09:07 AM
seems like one of your sensors in the engine could be faulty
the way you explain it, it seems that the car's engine is "hunting"
"hunting" is where the engine will rev up and down at idle from 1k to 2k.
This is because one of the engine sensors are faulty and are not giving any readings to the ECU and therefore attempts to figure out its air/fuel ratio.

The car's engine needs to be checked out under a computer to see what errors are coming up and what sensors are not responding and yes, resetting the ecu is not going to help in this instance.

I've experienced this before with a previous car and was advised the same thing.

I hope this helps... Can anyone else shed some light here and confirm if this is the case ?

Correct me if im wrong.

Cheers...

Dion

[[d a n n y]]
04-04-2004, 09:38 AM
bad fuel mayb?

JO3
04-04-2004, 10:28 AM
hey ppl..
thanks for the advice so far..

i tested the car again yesterday on few occasions and the problem comes and goes and it happended even when i'm not driving the car really hard...well say changing gears around the 6000rpm..

Kit - the problem only happens when my foots on the accelerator.. when it's off...the car idle's perfectly...and the idle does not drop to 500 b4 going back up again to 800rpm when i step on the clutch in the last minute when i stop..

r|Ce_bOi - the problem only occurs when my legs on the acc..when it's it's off...it idle's perfectly...

[[d a n n y]] - yeah..i was told so too...changed it from OPTIMAX to BP Premium Unleaded yesterday...so have yet to try out...but the car was running fine in the first 1/2 tank of petrol which was on OPTIMAX...

EuroAccord13 - whats an ISC...

ok..one last question ppl...
where should i bring this car to right now to get it checked...
i'm deciding between hanny's (as many recommended) or honda..
let me know...
thanks..
joe

[[d a n n y]]
04-04-2004, 11:20 AM
if ur in Sydney take it to hannys

bengbear
04-04-2004, 11:40 AM
It is a vaccuum leak. check all vacuum lines (black rubber hoses) going into the intake manifold as well as into the purge solenoid. Look for cracks or disconnections.

JO3
06-04-2004, 10:09 AM
thanks ppl for the help..
found out the problem..
my throttle body was dirty..
i think thanks to the pod filter it had previously..
but anyways..got the throttle body and injectors cleaned and and engine tune..
and now it's working great..
thanks again..
joe

Javed
08-04-2004, 01:42 AM
Glad to see you solved the problem :)

XXpl0Sive
08-04-2004, 02:13 AM
It sound like some sort of leak I think.
Take it to a mechanic to be safe, don't listen to anyone who hasnt tested the car first hand.

soul4real
08-04-2004, 10:37 AM
What did it cost you to get it cleaned ?
How did they clean it out ?

JO3
08-04-2004, 12:45 PM
well...it costs me $180 to get the whole air flow system cleaned up by honda just to find out that the problem happened again a day after that..
then i took it to my own mechanic and they told me that the throttle body was still dirty on the side hinges and that the ppl in honda applied some grease on the hinge of the throttle body..well it cost me $30 to get it all cleaned up again and now it works great...

so for me it was $210 when u could have got it done for $30...damn!!

joe

A'PEXi
08-04-2004, 01:13 PM
lol honda normally rip people off :D