PDA

View Full Version : Window Tint

Chris73
12-01-2006, 09:30 AM
I have read through many posts on window tinting and noticed that without the felt applied to the door trim scratches can be left in the tint.

Does anyone know (or new owners!) if this affects the MY06 model as well?

I am getting the car tinted (not at dealer) once I receive it so want to make sure that it's done properly :) .

EuroAccord13
12-01-2006, 11:33 AM
On the safe side, tell them that you wish to have the felt put inside the trim...

Chris73
12-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Does anyone have details on the type of felt, exact placement, thickness etc... used on the trim?

[ricer]
12-01-2006, 03:40 PM
howcome its so hard to get your windows tinted?
just take it to somewhere well known and let them worry
if you have any problems take it back

i know the camrys have very tight window seals and are often bought back because the tint starts to peel from the corners so im guessing if theres any defects with them putting the tint on ur accords then they should fix that too

Chris73
12-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Not saying it is hard. But prefer not stuffing around if it can be done properly the first time.

coyote
12-01-2006, 05:49 PM
For those of you in Melbourne, my mate runs The Tint Shop, at 506 Spencer St in West Melbourne, and has been tinting cars for 10 years.

He also owns a Euro, and is extremely particular when it comes to tinting car windows - you can be assured he will look after your ride as if it were his own.

He can offer a wide range of films (non metalised for Euro) and has competitive pricing.

If you're keen to get a quote, or some ideas of film types, call 03 9326 7899 and ask for Damien. Tell him you were refered by Corey...

I'm getting him to apply 20% tint to my Euro this weekend...

coyote
12-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Just spoke to Damien (at the Tint Shop) and he's not had any complaints regarding this topic. Just to make sure, when he tints mine on Saturday we'll have a good look at the existing trim and see if we can figure out why this may happen in some of your cars. He also mentioned that for anyone who wants it, he has a roll of felt specifically designed for this purpose...

I'll post more on this after we've had a look on the weekend.

Alpine
12-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Take a read of this thread on another forum. I think it may shed some light on the topic.

http://www.tintprofessor.com.au/forum/tinting-a-2005-honda-accord-vt165.html

Chris73
12-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks Alpine for the link.

Do I assume from this (Not that I should assume!!!!) that the late 2005 and therefore the MY06 should not require the felt??

Can any MY06 owner shed any light on this on whether there is felt on the door trim?

Alpine
12-01-2006, 08:50 PM
You would think that Honda would address this problem with its new models, especially since it is a known problem with Honda.

However, despite what it says in that other forum, asking your local Honda dealer would be the best way to get confirmation.

Chris73
16-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Coyote,

Any feedback after your weekend on the tint in the MY06?

yfin
16-01-2006, 03:32 PM
For those of you in Melbourne, my mate runs The Tint Shop, at 506 Spencer St in West Melbourne, and has been tinting cars for 10 years.

He also owns a Euro, and is extremely particular when it comes to tinting car windows - you can be assured he will look after your ride as if it were his own.

He can offer a wide range of films (non metalised for Euro) and has competitive pricing.

If you're keen to get a quote, or some ideas of film types, call 03 9326 7899 and ask for Damien. Tell him you were refered by Corey...

I'm getting him to apply 20% tint to my Euro this weekend...

Any place that is prepared to fit a darker than legal tint is somewhere I wouldn't recommend.

coyote
17-01-2006, 07:44 AM
Well, the tint looks great! Damien did a wonderful job (despite the fact that it is illegal, Euro 6mt). There was no obvious obtrusion to the glass from any object inside the door, but I had felt on the door trim installed just in case. I specifically asked for 20% film, but there are a wide range of films available that are legal also. It's up to the individual how dark they wish to go. I will post some photos soon...

BiLL|z0r
17-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Any place that is prepared to fit a darker than legal tint is somewhere I wouldn't recommend.
I think you'll find all tint places will put at least 20% on if asked for. I dunno about southern states but in QLD, because it's so hot, the cops don't worry about 20%. 5% is another matter though.

coyote
17-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Indeed, 5% is for Ambulance windows, and anyone who puts 5% on their car will likely find out the hard way that it should ONLY be for Ambulances...

As the film required for the Euro needs to be non metalised, the 20% doesn't actually look as dark as the metalised 20% film, presumably because it doesn't quite have the reflective qualities of the metalised film...?

MichaelW
17-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Indeed, 5% is for Ambulance windows, and anyone who puts 5% on their car will likely find out the hard way that it should ONLY be for Ambulances...

As the film required for the Euro needs to be non metalised, the 20% doesn't actually look as dark as the metalised 20% film, presumably because it doesn't quite have the reflective qualities of the metalised film...?

Doesn't need to be non-metalised at all. I fully investigated this and made the decision to go the full metal. There is no reduction in either AM or FM reception on my car.

Chris73
17-01-2006, 12:36 PM
MichaelW. Where do you live? Maybe this is a contributing factor.

Has anyone used metalised film that has resulted in radio problems?

MichaelW
17-01-2006, 04:44 PM

Chris I am in Melbourne. You can have a non-metallised film on the rear but their is a slight colour difference b/w the rest. I used Tint-A-Car who do all of Robert Lane Honda's cars.

PS I regularly drive from Melbourne to Ballarat (100km away) and have reception equivalent to my prior car the whole way.

hogs
17-01-2006, 05:51 PM
does anyone know the difference btw 3M Scotchtint and the rest of films been offered in ordinary shops??
cheers

djcloud
31-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Hi guys,

does anyone have any wind noise after having their euro tinted? I'm beginning to hear small wind noise from the driver's window...at the moment, waiting for honda to get back to me to see if they have a fix for this.

I have nothing but headaches with the tint ever since I had my 06 euro...small bubbles were forming on the driver's side window, got that tinted again, then the back left window had bubbles, got that re-tinted, and now...small bubbles the size of sand is beginning to form again on the driver's side window...i've rang my dealer up and they said they will talk to the guys at the tinting place again (apparently, they get their cars done at tint-a-car!) the guy also said it's pretty normal to have these bubbles..I told him I don't so as my last car had perfect tints with no bubbles! Do you think I should take this up with Honda Australia or am I just being paranoid about this sand-size bubbles forming on my tints??

I think they must hate me by now lol :D

blitz_euro
31-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Bubbles are perfectly fine when fresh tint goes on.
You will need to allow it to dry for about 4 weeks, if there are still bubbles then i would take it back.

I had bubbles and after a week some have dissappeared they are still dissappearing.

hotout
31-01-2006, 03:15 PM

Got SolaTint metallised on my 2005 VTi, no problems with reception whatsoever...

djcloud
31-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Bubbles are perfectly fine when fresh tint goes on.
You will need to allow it to dry for about 4 weeks, if there are still bubbles then i would take it back.

I had bubbles and after a week some have dissappeared they are still dissappearing.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind and see if it'll go away in the next 4 weeks. By the way, did they remove the seal between the door and window when they did tinted your windows? apparently that seal was suppose to prevent wind noises. I'm still awaiting news from honda about whether there is anything they can do about it.

blitz_euro
01-02-2006, 10:45 AM
I didnt see the tint procedure but i havent noticed anything different when i looked closely to the windows. Im very fussy person so i would have noticed a change, but im pissed off they un hooked my rear brake lights on the rear window and i cant find the wiring that goes up there need to take it to honda to get it fixed i guess?

Any helpers out there for me?

yfin
01-02-2006, 11:51 AM
I didnt see the tint procedure but i havent noticed anything different when i looked closely to the windows. Im very fussy person so i would have noticed a change, but im pissed off they un hooked my rear brake lights on the rear window and i cant find the wiring that goes up there need to take it to honda to get it fixed i guess?

Any helpers out there for me?

You looked in the boot aye?

blitz_euro
01-02-2006, 10:09 PM
I looked in the boot for a good half hour, there is now wires.
How do u manage to get off the rear parcel shelf they might of hid it there i guess.

EuroAccord13
01-02-2006, 11:22 PM
The reason they unhooked third brake light is so that the tint will look nicer rather than having a spot of untinted windows outlining the brake light.

Are you looking for the wiring to the bulb of the third brake light?

Butso
02-02-2006, 01:28 AM
how did they unhook it?

for me they just unscrewed the Bulb socket, together with the bulb and the wiring, all i had to do was pop it in place and turn it. but on a second thought i think im not supposed to put the light backin as yet? maybe wait for the tint to dry?

BiLL|z0r
02-02-2006, 06:46 AM
I've gotta wash my car this morning so I'll be checking to see if my brake light is still working too.

blitz_euro
02-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Yeah im looking for the third brake light wiring which is on the rear window. There is also no bulb, but the bulb holder which i clicked into place.

Well im a bit worried coz the tint goes over the light and apparently that is illegal and needs to have no film around the rear light.

BiLL|z0r
02-02-2006, 10:37 AM
You'd think that a light covered by tint would be better than no light at all.

Ferrarista
03-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Mine has a spot cut around it, its regulations.

No problems so far, just got it done a few weeks ago