PDA

View Full Version : Need help with head unit install

yourfather
15-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Hi guys,

I had a Sony MD unit in my car, which I removed, and since removal, my clock doesnt work anymore

I bought a new unit to replace the shitty MD unit that was in there,

and when I plugged it in, it doesnt work either.

My girlfriends dad and I tested to see if I was getting power to the wire harness kinda thing that goes into the back of the unit, and if I earth the circuit tester to a metal point on the car, and I touch the red lead, I have power.

But still my clock isnt working and the unit isn't powering on.

I reset my car alarm just in case it was some kinda anti-theft thing that is built in, but I didnt know about.

But yeah, im not much of a technical person, I just bought the unit because I was told it was a direct plug and play, plus the back paneling is exactly the same as the previous unit. RCA output for my subwoofer, Aux in, remote for the amplifier. ETC.

Any ideas on why its not working?

Oh and my dashboard clock isnt working either. **** Update ****

Driving home from the girlfriends, I noticed that the clock WAS working, but it was very faint, and could only be seen when I had my headlights on. A dim back-light kind of thing.

And incase you're still wondering what kinda car,

its a 97 Integra VTi-R

destrukshn
16-01-2006, 01:54 PM
one of your wires could of shorted out.
check fuses yet?
i know the clock relies on the h/u power.
the way i have overcome this is getting power from somewhere else, like the ignition swtich harness.

check the wires for the plug as well.. for the headunit.
also check that all the wires are connected properly and have not become loose.

EGB16A
16-01-2006, 03:36 PM
it should be the option fuse (from memory it was called option) in your fuse box in the engine bay. I had an ipod adapter that kept blowing this fuse. From memory its 10 or 12amp fuse.

yourfather
17-01-2006, 03:06 AM
OK ~ so I had a look at the wiring...

There's ONE blue wire, a lightish coloured blue that comes from the wire loom, but its not connected to anything....

Everything else seems to be in working order, yet the blue wire, well, its plugged into the loom, and if I try to earth it with that wire, nothing happens, yet if I use that thing to test if theres a circuit, and its earthed, it lights up.

All fuses are fine.

The thing that confuses the crap outta me is that the clock KINDA works, like I can see the numbers if its late at night, and my headlights are on

My cigarette lighter works, and the light in the ash tray...

Fhrx
17-01-2006, 07:32 AM
That one blue wire isn't touching any metal anywhere is it? Remember when the head unit is on that blue wire has 12v going down it.

Vinh
17-01-2006, 07:45 AM
Your fuse is def. gone. Same thing happened to me whilst installing my headunit. Just have a look at your clock back up fuse i think from memory.Just play around with all the fuses relating to the clock and you'll be right. :D

yourfather
17-01-2006, 11:07 AM
i did play around with all the fuses, and they all seem to be working fine...

Remember, the clock fuse runs off the same circuit as the cigarette lighter, which works fine

destrukshn
17-01-2006, 02:16 PM
That one blue wire isn't touching any metal anywhere is it? Remember when the head unit is on that blue wire has 12v going down it.

i second that.
if that doesn't work, i'd say you've shorted out the power wires.
just get power from another source.

yourfather
19-01-2006, 04:43 AM
.. how do I fix this stuff, I dont want power from another source... I want power the OEM way... sigh

yourfather
22-01-2006, 09:51 PM
well, as stated earlier in the thread, it was the fuse that was blown...

Just took me a little while to figure out how to fix it and all that. The wiring was fine completely.

:)

Well ~ Thanks for the help