PDA

View Full Version : My dc5r oil consumption question

franki
16-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Hello all,
Ive noticed that my car goes through heaps of oil and its the same for my dads dc5r. both of our integras need oil long befor 5000 kms is up. is this common or are we pushing our cars too much, my mate recons that hondas motors dont recycle the used oil like most othe cars. is this true or is he talking crap. Is there a problem with my motor or is this norma? :honda:

aaronng
16-01-2006, 02:49 PM
I think he is talking crap. I think the engines were not run in properly when new, thus the piston rings don't seal as well as it should. For racing engines, it is better to give the engine load when brand new. The internals are already very smooth from the start and it is the piston rings that need the most running in. Most people are too gentle with their Type Rs from new, and therefore end up with piston rings that don't seal well, leading to the engine oil getting into the combustion chamber and out the exhaust.

If you ever rebuild your engine, run it in by putting the engine under medium load. Under load, the pressure will force the piston rings to seat nicely and form a better seal between the piston and the cylinder wall.

franki
16-01-2006, 03:29 PM
thanks man, but is there any way that this can be fixed now?

bennjamin
16-01-2006, 03:31 PM
thicker oil to reduce the useage abit...or replace the PCV , or install a oil catch can too.
All will help reduce oil useage...

aaronng
16-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Like what ben said.

Also, the oil catch can can be used as a diagnostic tool. If you end up collecting a lot of oil, then your piston ring seals are fine. If you collect very little oil and still end up burning oil to a dangerously low level before your service interval is up, then it could be the rings or some other seal.

And check your oil level every month and top up the oil to maintain it between the minimum and maximum levels.

Weq
16-01-2006, 04:02 PM
umm if u have a heep of crank case pressure it means ur rings are gone. so a catch can will fill up. As for ur oil usage, im assuming ur using a recommended oil? Any leaks anywhere?

spanks
18-02-2006, 01:58 AM
Type R and S2000 oil consumption specs are twice that of all other Honda engines.Do an accurate consumption test and let us know how much oil after 5,000kms checking oil level and refilling to correct level every 1,000kms