PDA

View Full Version : Help . clicking noise.

STTICH
16-01-2006, 07:02 PM
just found out this afternoon whilst driving..there're some clicking noice coming from both my front wheels area. its the kind of soft yet not too soft clicking noise tat can only b heard when driving low speed. so i pulled over and stop to find out where's coming from. then i found tat the clicking noise seems to b there to stay :o . the noise will come when there's a change in direction when turning. ie: if i keep turning right there will b no sound, then the point where i change direction, it'll click.

i've asked someone to turn the steering wheel when im out listening. turning the steering wheel left right left right constantly when the car's standing still. the clicking noise keeps on going.

anyone has any idea where and why this is happening? or hav i confuse everyone already? :o

fadz
16-01-2006, 07:23 PM
cv's dude...ther gone...Change em b4 they get worst.

EuroDude
16-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Yep CV joints. Happened to my car not long ago and cost me around 500 for an aftermarket pair if I recall correctly. The Genuine Honda ones were two or three times the price.

bennjamin
16-01-2006, 08:07 PM
if its a Jazz , i cant see why your car's CV joints would be "gone" already ( unless it is lowered at all)

PErhaps something is loose in the suspension somewhere or a stone is stuck in one of the tyres etc ? Try everything before spending big on new parts...

Slow96GSR
16-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Check the wheel nuts. Might be loose!

STTICH
16-01-2006, 09:41 PM
damn. not the wheel nuts, not any stone. its happening quite often, evrytime now tat turn into a change in direction.

cv joint? :o is it meant to go so soon? car's 2004, does lowering hav much an impact on it? and yes its lowered.

car still safe to drive at the moment?

bennjamin
16-01-2006, 09:43 PM
yes loweering changes alot of things - and prematurely wears out your CV joints.
Instead of 10 + years , now you mght have worn them out in 2 lol.

Live and learn !

STTICH
16-01-2006, 09:49 PM
i see. yea :o never stop learning. :)

is the aftermarket once realiable? obviously its out of warantty since sussy work has been done to it?

Ben..besides from lowering.. wat else could cause damage to it?

and is the car safe to drive for the time being?

EuroDude
16-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Clicking while turning left/right is a tell tail sign of worn CV's, but before you spend $$$ get a mechanic to confirm its the CV's.

Ive been using aftermarket ones and have had no problems :) I think they were a Japanese brand which means they should be decent.

STTICH
16-01-2006, 10:22 PM
roughly how much would it cost normally?

EuroDude
16-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Cant remember exactly ($800 maybe?), ring a Honda dealer such as Col Crawford and ask their spare parts department.

seihoa
16-01-2006, 11:14 PM
put ur stock sussy on n goto the dealer =] free repairs Yay

krasyvy
16-01-2006, 11:17 PM
but sussy isn't the only thing you've done to void ur warranty.... is it?

STTICH
16-01-2006, 11:27 PM
but sussy isn't the only thing you've done to void ur warranty.... is it?

donno.. tats why i'd like to know wat else will put more stress on the CVs..

around $800? :( ....

krasyvy
17-01-2006, 08:44 AM
no my point is...if u can put the car back to a condition where, to them it will seem as if u havent voided (??) ur warranty then go ahead and do so - that way u can get them to fix the problem.....free.

but then again they will probably figure it out anyway.

bennjamin
17-01-2006, 11:46 AM
stop talking of this stuff guys... you never know WHO is reading here ( BTW several peopel who work for Honda actual browse these forums too...)

Back to the problem at hand...yes , as i said , since you DUMPED your car it WILL wear out your CV joints faster than normal. Get it checked by a professional asap before they come apart while driving.

Dont complain when you are the one at fault :)

STTICH
17-01-2006, 11:49 AM
thanks for the help ben :)

ek4-guy
17-01-2006, 12:59 PM
i can see why this would happen on a 2004 model car if you have power stearing .
see what your sayin about turning the wheel while your car is not moving is a big no no if you have power stearing
could be your cv joints could also be your tierod end
jack your car up so one front wheel comes of the ground sit down beside the wheel grab it at 3 an 9 o'clock an push with one hand and pull with the other do this back an forth if there is slop or the clickin noise its your tierod ends

panda[cRx]
17-01-2006, 01:07 PM
stop talking of this stuff guys... you never know WHO is reading here ( BTW several peopel who work for Honda actual browse these forums too...)

Back to the problem at hand...yes , as i said , since you DUMPED your car it WILL wear out your CV joints faster than normal. Get it checked by a professional asap before they come apart while driving.

Dont complain when you are the one at fault :)

only thing he would need to worry about would be the sussy components. they aren't gonna void warranty on CV's for projector headlights or cf hood or things like that lol

and yes there are people that work for honda browsing these forums :wave:

and jazz CV's don't go too often as they are fairly new cars, i'm pretty sure most dealers would think something's up if u rocked up with stock sussy and gone CV's lol

(but yeah PM me kev ;) )

EuroDude
17-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Hmm well my Civic is lowered and I didnt need to change the original CV's until 220,000km.

Maybe the rubber CV covers came loose and the grease came out, resulting in excessive CV joint wear. If this is the case, then you may only need to replace one CV joint.

tinkerbell
17-01-2006, 03:11 PM
i can see why this would happen on a 2004 model car if you have power stearing .
see what your sayin about turning the wheel while your car is not moving is a big no no if you have power stearing
jack your car up so one front wheel comes of the ground sit down beside the wheel grab it at 3 an 9 o'clock an push with one hand and pull with the other do this back an forth if there is slop or the clickin noise its your tierod ends

best post so far :thumbsup:

STTICH
17-01-2006, 03:25 PM

i see. so wat ur saying is instead of turning the steering wheels to make the wheels turn, i should just jack it up and turn it the way u mentioned?

i'll giv it a go. btw..my car has power steering, so i should start up teh car when doing this?

thansk for ur help ek4-guy !

essmangti
23-01-2006, 10:46 PM

Quick question
meant to ask whilst thread was going but---
tie rod is the connection between the steering arm and the sussy yes or am I way off?

Thanks for info

Ehssan

STTICH
25-01-2006, 09:48 AM
forgot to update, the problem has been solved last week, it has absolutely nothing to do with the CV, just somthing very minor :)

mods, pls close thread if u wish.

tinkerbell
25-01-2006, 09:49 AM
just somthing very minor :)

mods, pls close thread if u wish.

you better tell us what it was STTICH :wave:

tinkerbell
25-01-2006, 09:50 AM
tie rod is the connection between the steering arm and the sussy

yes.

STTICH
25-01-2006, 10:11 AM
its coming from the suspension, the adjustable base (not the springs) of the coilovers got a little lose, which explain why it only clicks when i change direction of the steering wheel. i only found tat out after i took of the suspension sway bar link.