PDA

View Full Version : Any comments on where its cheap to get Good splits .. MTX any good

Sydney_Lankan
17-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Hey guys i just want some info on where i can get come decent splits
and what are decent splits to get ??

stanleym
17-01-2006, 09:21 AM
i have kenwood splits not to bad

but i personally believe that you should get american brand splits best quality i think

mj3610
17-01-2006, 09:39 AM
i seen the pioneer splits at strathfield car radios for $140 they sound pretty good i've heard them.

vti-2
17-01-2006, 10:14 AM

What's your budget? How much room do you have for the install (i.e. 2-way or 3-way?)

Some brands to consider are Alpine, Pioneer and Polk or Focal, Morel and PG for higher quality splits. There are heaps of brands out there though, depends which one sounds better to you.

SiReal
17-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Well, if you're on a budget (and don't we all ike to save money) you could have a look at the Jaycar response 6.5" spilits. They have been tried and tested and their quality has been compared to that of three times the price of these. These go for $199, the last time I looked. I would highly consider these when I choose splits in the future. Go to Jaycar electronics shop. Good luck.

vti-2
17-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Just to add from my experiences, i've heard Alpine vs Pioneer splits before and preferred the sound of the Alpine. I've listened to Focals before as well and they were too bright for me. Morels are great, i had a set and loved the sound of them, but they do cost a lot more than most splits cause of the better quality, plus they are imported from Israel. Polk make nice sounding splits as well. I've heard some good things about JL Audio splits as well, but never actually listened to a pair. Judging by the quality of their subs though, seems like a safe option. Another cheap option (you should be able to find a cheap pair) is Infinity. I've heard two different sets and they sounded good for a mid range split. If you can also listen to a set of MB Quart splits, do it, they make awesome splits.

And try to listen to splits installed in cars, i never demo splits off a sound board.

Fhrx
17-01-2006, 10:44 AM
If the budget is on the lower side of $500 then I would recommend something like this:

Oz Audio Vector V650S3
www.ozaudio.com

Boston S60
www.bostonacoustics.com

Hertz HSK165
www.hertzaudiovideo.com

Vibe Blackhex 60
www.vibeaudio.com.au

Morel Pulse 6
www.morel.co.il

Eton Pro160
www.etongmbh.com

Diamond D361
www.diamondaudio.com

Focal 165V1
www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/index.htm

Crossfire X6
www.crossfirecaraudio.com

If the budget is on the sunny side of $500, then I would recommend you add these to your audition list:

Oz Audio Oz180CS
www.ozaudio.com

Boston Pro60
www.bostonacoustics.com

Phass Al-Nico
www.phass.com

Vibe ST60
www.vibeaudio.com.au

Morel Elate 6
www.morel.co.il

Eton Adventure A1-160
www.etongmbh.com

Diamond s600a
www.diamondaudio.com

Focal 165W
www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/index.htm

DynAudio System 240
www.dynaudio.com

Digital Designs DDW6.5set
www.ddaudio.com

Let your ears do the decision making. Remember the key is too listen to as many products as you can and let your own ears decide for you. There is no special scientific formula behind the choice. Just go with what you like the sound of. Please don't just take my word for it. My opinion is only one of many. Other audiophiles may well have totally different tastes. Check the products out yourself and see if you remain with the afore mentioned ones or you settle on something else. :D

Slow96GSR
17-01-2006, 12:52 PM
For $500USD you can get a whole bunch of great components. I use Audiobahn now but have used almost everything out there. It all depends on what you listen to. If you car going for more sound quality get some Image Dynamics, Alpine, Focal or some Audiobahns. If you want to be loud and obnoxious try Cerwin Vega or Audiobahn (MA, Digital Audio and Audiobahn are the same thing just A.B. puts screens on their magnets and D.A. is red!!!) I would suggest you look at the music you listen to. If you like rap and a lot of bass you need to find an x-over slope that will work for the rap, not opera or classical. The Vegas and Audiobahns will handle the rap and rock very well. If you listen to opera or classical the Image Dynamics will work well as with rock. See you need a speaker that can handle the signal coming in to it. Like the t-shirt says, “If you put crap in to the best deck, run through the top of the line signal processors, amps worthy of a god, and have the greatest speakers and subs, you still get crap!”

You have 500 bucks, that’s more than enough to get the best components from a local shop, Ebay or direct from the companies. Go listen to the parts you can get. Ask others and look at what people are using. Look at the big runners in competitions. We use Alpine decks, Audio Control signal processors, U.S. Amps and Image Dynamics for our Sound Quality cars. Winning all events we went to and any class they were in. Many records too. Nothing will beat what your ear likes. Except price!

J-MuN
18-01-2006, 01:29 PM
If you're looking at spending under $500 I'd get the JL Audio VR600's. Awesome bang for buck speaker. They retail $379 at JB Hifi.

http://www.proficientcaraudio.com/images/product_images/fs_jl_speaker_JL-VR600-CSi.jpg

vti-2
18-01-2006, 03:04 PM
DynAudio System 240
www.dynaudio.com (http://www.dynaudio.com)

mmmmm, Dyn's. :D

Fr3aKi3
18-01-2006, 04:46 PM
I've gotten a quote of $380 for Focal 165V2 (rrp $419)
Listen to the Focal's or any of the other splits mentioned by Marty (FHRX).

I was looking at getting a set of Pioneer TS-C160R from a friend for $260. Then i had a listen to Soundstream XSC.6 (rrp $299 but i got quoted $255) preferred the Soundstream's a great deal over Pioneer's.

A few days ago just after work, i popped over to the car audio shop nearby and got a demo of the Focal 165V2's and the difference in sound quality is massive. I am by no means an audiophile but to me the Focal's sounded so much better, it sounded like as if the music was being played live!!! (but then again that was the Focal demo cd... lol).

The focal 165V1's are $239 rrp so if your on a budget, they're pretty dam good.

vi-tekken
01-03-2006, 09:07 PM
ive got vr 600 jl audios in mine and for the buck i paid for, it is a nice soundingsplit system.. have had no regrets with them! heard boston acoustics are pretty good too, actually very good but price will b a bit costly.. i wouldnt touch any pioneer, just a personal preference.. it all depends on tuning and installation as well and if your amps give it enough power all around.. what you pay for is what you get.. take that in consideration..

ICACHA
02-03-2006, 11:05 AM

How about you go into a store and maybe spend lets say, half an hour just listening to the speakers NOT the salesman???
Sort of sounds like an idea doesnt it :)

Try and get brand out of your head and focus on your budget and how the speaker sound and if they appeal to you...

Some helpful tips: Leave the I-Pod and MP3 music at home and take one of your CD's that are recorded with real instruments not compressed crap out of the computers. Otherwise you might as well buy soundstorm and boss audio :p