PDA

View Full Version : Cam Phasing and Cam positioning.

todaek9
17-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Hi guys,
Recently i've seen a guy who adjust Cam and Cam Phase. HE just needed a metre of some sort thats all. I don't know how the hell he do it and he say it's a secret. Apparently all his car that he Cam phase and position produce heaps of power.

Now, May i know what is that guy doing? How to use that Meter thing that he has to Do with a proper Cam Phasing? I guess it's gotta do with Pressure or smth...But normally how does people cam phase? please explain.

thank you.

BLKCRX
17-01-2006, 05:06 PM
I think your talking about a dial indicator (measures very small distances, not pressure) typically a instrument produced by Mitutoyo, this is the one I own.

http://www.mitutoyo.com/Products/oem/products/Group4chart.html along with the extension probe and magnet base to hold everything in place.

You dial cams in using lift distance from TDC and as well as a dial angle indicator on the crank, this is the correct way to do it, if you know what your doing.
There’s only every one way to tune a car correctly.
Regards James

todaek9
17-01-2006, 05:11 PM
But how to read this???...yea, i think it's this thing that he's using...but he is just "Too nice" to even say anything more about it....haha..

BLKCRX
17-01-2006, 05:42 PM
It measures distance, you read it ;) and set the distance you want very easy very accurate, but you need to have knowledge of what your doing, this is a expert tuning tool, not some backyard grease monkey.

todaek9
18-01-2006, 02:03 AM
Yes, there is 2 meter apparently...but then, how the guy do it?????...any idea?? care to share? or it's just some Secret that Tuners won't ever give it away???..hehehe..

e240
18-01-2006, 11:09 PM
He may be talking about a DEGREE WHEEL that is like a big circle divided into 360 degree marks. You use it along with the dial indicator to see at what degree your cam is doing what. Anyone talking about changing cam phases using a METER is pulling your leg.

The dial is used in conjunction with the degree wheel. Its used to find the true top dead centre where factory markings may be inaccurate. Knowing this, you can accurately degree your Inlet and exhaust cams.

e240
19-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Any "phasing" of the cam will just move the best power up or down the power curve NEVER making more power. This guy is trying to sell you a bag of HOT AIR. :thumbdwn:

I don't think you know what you're talking about. I did this on my Ducati Engine and set it back to manufacturers spec, with adjustable cam pulleys, (Ducati factory settings are notoriously off the mark), we saw a gain in power and torque because the settings were right.

Unfortunately, I don't have the Dyno Chart to with me now to show you.

SKREMN
19-01-2006, 05:52 PM
By loosening the bolts in red you can then adjust the outer of the cam from the inner
usually adjusted by only a few degrees

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/skremnLS/cams.jpg

SKREMN
19-01-2006, 06:32 PM
just advertising the Vtec

adjusting the cam and the cam phase is the same thing right?

e240
19-01-2006, 09:45 PM
All you did was bring it back into the proper specs. not make more power. If the timing correct in the first place your power would still be the same so you didn't make any power you just located the power that was allready there if things were correct. So I guess you don't know what your talking about either. :confused:

Dude, being in proper spec gets you the power that wouldn't have been there if you weren't.

Don't take my word then, just do a simple google. Here's an article for you.
Just check out the Dyno charts at the end.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/insidetechnology/0208scc_insidetechnology01a/

"Many factory cams operate on the conservative side of performance due to emissions and drivability standards, meaning there's always more power to be gained by learning how-to adjust the intake and exhaust valve timing. "

todaek9
19-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Hm....this is something new...Cam Phase then no gain of power..hmm...hmmm....hmmmm.......
1st of all, do you even know what Cam phase does to your inlet and outlet, timing, combustion, intake?

From the sound of it, i think you have no idea what ya talking about.

Anyway, Is there anywhere that can learn to use those dail and the metre? Just don't tell me to go and blow a few engine, learn it the expensive way..haha..

To adjust or "PHASE" a camshaft you have to have an adjustable cam gear or offset cam keys to go into the keyway. The only thing you could do using no parts is move the cam one tooth on the belt and that will make a lot LESS power than normal. Any "phasing" of the cam will just move the best power up or down the power curve NEVER making more power. This guy is trying to sell you a bag of HOT AIR. :thumbdwn:

todaek9
19-01-2006, 11:23 PM
From what i know, it's different.
Adjusting cam While Fitting on is very important and ALL Tuner's that i've encountered Always does the same Mistake, Simply bolt on, make sure valve doesn't hit piston, clearance is just good, thats all...but then, there is so much power lost if it's not in the correct position.

Cam Phase is just to let you advance inlet and exhaust flow and ofcourse, diff degree of cams.. there are more tricks to make a Vtec goes much faster just by adjusting those Cam gears, but as far as i know, a std internal Strip B16a EG with some secret work, Cam gear, 68mm tb, ECU with CHIP + a good drive does a 13.9sec quartermile...pretty impressive...est abt 850kg.

just advertising the Vtec

adjusting the cam and the cam phase is the same thing right?