PDA

View Full Version : best exhaust for vtec nosie?

mike_cheung
05-04-2004, 03:07 PM
hi guys im just wondering if any knows whats a good brand exhaust system to get, to actually hear the vtec kick in. wat i mean is clearly hear the difference

i was considering a buddy club spec 2 but im scared about the noise it produces, cause i've seen the amount of noise these things can produce

Jim80y
05-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Depends what you mean by hearing VTEC cut in. As far as exhaust noise is concerned you will always hear VTEC no matter what exhaust you get. If you are after hearing the engine more than the exhaust, try something quiet like Fujitsubo. If you really want to know when VTEC cuts in, a Buddy Club exhaust will really let you know you are in VTEC ;)

Jus-10
05-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Just make sure you get the Spec 3 for added noise!

mike_cheung
05-04-2004, 03:31 PM
so the buddy club spec 3 is actually louder then a spec 2?
i was also considering a spoon n1?
has any here fitted on with one of these

vti-2
05-04-2004, 03:42 PM
hi guys im just wondering if any knows whats a good brand exhaust system to get, to actually hear the vtec kick in. wat i mean is clearly hear the difference

i was considering a buddy club spec 2 but im scared about the noise it produces, cause i've seen the amount of noise these things can produce

Do you want to hear the engine or do you want to hear a lot of noise? Cause if you get an exhaust system you will get a lot of noise. The BuddyClub Spec 3 is way louder than the Spec 2 cause i've heard both and the Spec 3 is definitely louder. And as everyone will tell you, it's DAMN LOUD.

IMO the N1 looks and sounds nicer. You will still turn heads but it won't be as loud when you are driving around.

If you want to hear your VTEC just get a pod. One of the reasons i never put an exhaust on my DC2 was because of the noise factor. The sound of induction is so much better. :)

Jim80y
05-04-2004, 04:07 PM
I've had both the Spoon N1 and BC3, and there is a noticeable difference in noise and performance between the two; BC3 is louder and has a noticeable performance increase, whereas Spoon N1 is just more for sound.

mike_cheung
05-04-2004, 04:13 PM
so for preformance you would be better with the buddy club right?
and the spoon n1 would be better for the vtec high pitch noise?

cause i saw this dc5 that was next to me the other day and you can hear his vtec kickin like no tomorro, just wondering what the guy did to get the sound, and also im after a exhuast system

Jim80y
05-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Performance and high pitch race-car sound go Buddy Club.

Spoon N1 produces a nicer sound from the outside though, Buddy Club sounds nicer inside.

If you plan to upgrade your header, I suggest you look at something other than BC3. While the noise is truly amazing, your ears will hurt after every drive.

vti-2
05-04-2004, 04:23 PM
so for preformance you would be better with the buddy club right?
and the spoon n1 would be better for the vtec high pitch noise?

cause i saw this dc5 that was next to me the other day and you can hear his vtec kickin like no tomorro, just wondering what the guy did to get the sound, and also im after a exhuast system

The guy probably had the full I/H/E. It isn't hard to get a Honda loud and if you want to hear VTEC just get a full straight through exhaust system with headers and hi-flow cat.

Be prepared to be hassled by cops though.

Jim80y
05-04-2004, 04:30 PM
Here is a video of my car on the dyno with Buddy Club Spec 3 and Toda header. The video does not really show how loud the exhaust is, in real life it was pretty loud lol.

Right Click and Save As (http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzQwOTg2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D)

vti-2
05-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Here is a video of my car on the dyno with Buddy Club Spec 3 and Toda header. The video does not really show how loud the exhaust is, in real life it was pretty loud lol.

Right Click and Save As (http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzQwOTg2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D)

That's loud. :D

Javed
05-04-2004, 05:04 PM
that sounds WICKED!!!! somehow i cant seem to notice the vtec kick in that much? Maybe I am just stupid!

snowman95
05-04-2004, 05:11 PM
when you say vtec kicking in, you mean when the secondaries opening up at ~5500? or the actual switching at ~4700

cheebye
05-04-2004, 05:15 PM
that's fkn loud man.. I was gonna decide on BC spec 3 as well, but after talking to 4ppl and everyone said it was deafening, I have decided on Fujitsubo Power Getter.. sounds nice and deep, still can hear vtec and apparently power gains are good.

Jim80y
05-04-2004, 05:15 PM
VTEC transition was much smoother with the header because of improved mid range. Could still tell from the inside though when VTEC kicked in.

mike_cheung
05-04-2004, 05:49 PM
jim80y since u had experiance with the buddy club n spoon n1, wat would be your recommendationand any1 else thats had the ehuast system b4? this is for a dc2 vtir.

hows the power gain in the spoon n1, cause i know for a fact that the buddy club is really good for power gain

Jim80y
05-04-2004, 08:36 PM
With Spoon N1 there is hardly any power gain, all I noticed was more noise, but it sounds nice. To get the best from the Spoon N1 you would need a better B-pipe.

For a good catback with good gains I would get any of the Fujitsubo exhausts or Mugen Twin Loop. Relatively quiet exhausts but get louder at WOT.

mike_cheung
05-04-2004, 08:57 PM
wats WTO????
and also u know where i can find this brand exhaust

Jim80y
05-04-2004, 08:59 PM
WOT - Wide Open Throttle, pedal all the way into the carpet :)

For all your Fujitsubo needs PM tanghy or z10.

UR2L8
05-04-2004, 09:41 PM
SPOON N1, I got it and sounds awesome.

UR2L8
05-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Jimmy: stop underating the Spoon N1 man. I know your trying to sell for your friend or something, but saying that the B-Pipe is shit and saying dosent produce any power is stupid and any person with half a brain would think something bad of you. Doesnt matter what exhaust you have, you will never have significant power gains (unless its iligal and you get a fully straight through one). The Spoon b-pipe, is one of the lightest and strongest in the world and performs just as good as other non catback systems.

joneblaze
05-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Jimmy: stop underating the Spoon N1 man. I know your trying to sell for your friend or something, but saying that the B-Pipe is shit and saying dosent produce any power is stupid and any person with half a brain would think something bad of you. Doesnt matter what exhaust you have, you will never have significant power gains (unless its iligal and you get a fully straight through one). The Spoon b-pipe, is one of the lightest and strongest in the world and performs just as good as other non catback systems.

Dude, I think you should really calm down... as far as I can see (in this thread and others), jim80y has merely tried to give his personal opinion and help out the forumer at hand. It's pretty unfair to accuse him of a hidden agenda. Perhaps he's only reccommending tanghy and z because he has previously purchased from them and is happy with their customer service? Not to mention theyre OH Traders, and apparently source items for a decent price? And brands like Fujitsubo etc aren't that easy to come across Down Under?

Jim80y
05-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Thanks Jon.

UR2L8: You're a ****wit. Before making posts, make sure you read properly. I never said anything about the Spoon B-pipe, I was talking of the Spoon N1 axle-back. I never said the Spoon N1 was bad, but comparing it to BC3 is like apples to oranges, one is axle-back, one is cat-back. I am only speaking from experience.

I purchase from Zi and Tanghy as they have damn good prices and customer service. Fujitsubo can be bought from other places, but you it will cost you a lot more.

UR2L8
05-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Thanx for that "joneblaze" for that irelivant opinion to the subject. Go and try to correct other peoples posts if you got nothing to do. And if I wanted an opinion for someone about what I wrote I would have asked for it.

joneblaze
05-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Thanx for that "joneblaze" for that irelivant opinion to the subject. Go and try to correct other peoples posts if you got nothing to do. And if I wanted an opinion for someone about what I wrote I would have asked for it.

:roll:

Javed
05-04-2004, 10:39 PM
well I got the impression that he was talking only about the axleback, but then again any axleback will not produce much difference in power...

mike_cheung
05-04-2004, 10:39 PM
so you guys recommend the Fujitsubo ehaust system over the bc spec 3 and spoon n1?

ive just had a look at the Fujitsubo and there are so many types, just wondering what is best for a vtir dc2

Jim80y
05-04-2004, 10:43 PM
Only types available for DC2 are legalis R, rm01a and power getter.

IntegriliciouS
05-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Hey man
Get the Fujitsubo "Power Getter"!
I got it couple days ago and it sounds sick in VTEC
Not too loud at low rpms is how it should be and the power getter is exactely that!!

tofu R
05-04-2004, 11:09 PM
it would be actually quite interesting for someone to try the RMO1A catback exhaust
i havent ever heard of anyone in sydney getting one
and many of the guys on Honda-Tech swear by it ..
its more mid range .. and still has a nice bassy tone .. much like the powergetter i have on my dc2r ..

btw UR2L8.. you really jumped the gun dude .. your verbal offences on both JIM and JON are totally uncalled for .. try to be nicer to the integra brotherhood .. we are all here trying to help each other.. no ones dissing no one .. so dont get all personal ..

it too will vouch for Zi .. who has excellent customer service.. and deserves the commendations that he has been given ..

as a side note .. i never knew that spoon made a b-pipe .. i thought it was only ever an axle back .. the only b-pipe that ive heard of .. is the vision b-pipe .. ( the suppliers of spoon for other products i believe ..

tofu R
05-04-2004, 11:10 PM
JIM : u went from a spoon n1 and a bc3 to a FGK exhaust??
I did similar .. from apex'i n1 to a powergetter.. dont you miss that insane WOT vtec sound on the n1 .. ? haha

Jim80y
05-04-2004, 11:17 PM
Tofu R,

waiting on delivery of Fujitsubo. Miss the insane sound of toda header + BC3 lol

mpd076-chuck
06-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Jimmy: stop underating the Spoon N1 man. .... The Spoon b-pipe, is one of the lightest and strongest in the world and performs just as good as other non catback systems.

The spoon b-pipe is a catback.... it joins from your cat to axle back.

Here is gain from Fujitsubo. http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=343077

edit: Spoon b-pipe (5.9) + N1 muffler (3.6) weighs 9.5kg
Fujitsubo RM01a weighs 11.3 kg.

Spoon is louder, RM01a probably weighs more due to its larger resonators which is why it is quieter. If you want VTEC sound any N1 is good, but annoys after a while. Alternatively try Mugen intake which sounds great.

incoming
06-04-2004, 10:33 AM
when u guys say its loud.. im assuming it will attract police attention..
which exhaust(of the two) is under the legal dB level??

does the loudness factor get annoying??... is it loud in idle??.

hehe 21Questions

joneblaze
06-04-2004, 10:40 AM
I don't believe EITHER of the exhausts - or many aftermarket systems for that matter - pass the 90db legal limit. THere's a thread on CRSX concerning this...

Jus-10
06-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Yeah it's pretty hard to keep below 90db these days with those types of exhausts. You probably just need to use a bit of discretion when driving so as not to attract too much attention, that is, don't got WOT with the cops around.....although with something like the BC3 it sounds like they might hear you coming from a mile away so you have no chance of hiding!

You guys have got me all worried now. I am awaiting delivery of my BC3 for my Jazz. I know the engine isn't a screamer like the B18s, etc, but by the sounds of it, this exhaust is just obnoxiously loud.....looks like I might be befriending the local constablery.....crap!

cheebye
06-04-2004, 06:55 PM
what about Kakimoto Hyper Full Mega N1 cat-back system? anyone heard about them? Daniel from eastern Honda took me for a spin in his car just before I made up my mind on the dc5 :P

but yeh sounded awesome. I'd say it's between the fujitsubo (power getter) and BC Spec III. not sure about performance gains though

for those interested - http://www.4redlinemotorsports.com/acatalog/Exhaust_Systems_19.html

mike_cheung
06-04-2004, 10:24 PM
can any1 produce a sound file for the fujitsubo power gutter??
i've heard the bc3 and like the sound on that, just that im scared of the noise will be way over 90db

cheebye
06-04-2004, 10:32 PM
i have the sound file of the power getter. gimme ur email and I can send it to u.

soul4real
06-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Although the sound might be under requirements and is legal, it might get the attention of surrounding police cars and you get booked for something else. Happened to me :|

eknine
06-04-2004, 10:59 PM
as a side note .. i never knew that spoon made a b-pipe .. i thought it was only ever an axle back .. the only b-pipe that ive heard of .. is the vision b-pipe .. ( the suppliers of spoon for other products i believe ..

hummm ..:roll:

and where/who would that info be from :roll: .... ;) .... :D :D :D :D :D least we would know where the leak is from ;)

and why not mention vision sports also made the CF side mirrors for spoon to resell too ;)
:D :D :D :D

mike_cheung
07-04-2004, 12:04 PM
mike_cheung88@hotmail.com
please send the sound file of the fujitsubo
thanks

cheebye
07-04-2004, 01:02 PM
email sent ^^

philBo
07-04-2004, 02:18 PM
just outta ignorance...how much do each of these exhausts you guys are talking about set you back?

Jim80y
07-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Spoon N1 axle back: $600ish
BC3 - $1100ish
Power getter - $900-$1k
RM01A - $1200 ish

type one
07-04-2004, 03:08 PM
I am awaiting the arrival of my spoon b pipe but i have N1 on atmo and it is excellent... sound is AWESOME... most of my frens say it is farken loud and i always drive with silencer in... when i have b pipe installed i will let you know about my feel on performance gains...

incoming
08-04-2004, 12:19 AM
Spoon N1 axle back: $600ish
BC3 - $1100ish
Power getter - $900-$1k
RM01A - $1200 ish

:shock: :shock: :P HOLY SHIT!
i wish i could afford that!

victype
13-04-2004, 11:59 PM
If you want PURE loudness/deafeaning, get a HKS hiper, remove the catback and replace it with a custom straight pipe. THose who went for the dyno day in syd 11/4/2004 would have known lol. My dc5r literally blew them away with the noise!

Pros: Straight pipe so probably better max power, really really loud (if you like it)
Cons: Gets unwanted attention (Police), 101% rice, not good for your ears (even at 5th gear!!!!)

VTEC16
14-04-2004, 12:04 AM
If you want PURE loudness/deafeaning, get a HKS hiper, remove the catback and replace it with a custom straight pipe. THose who went for the dyno day in syd 11/4/2004 would have known lol. My dc5r literally blew them away with the noise!

Pros: Straight pipe so probably better max power, really really loud (if you like it)
Cons: Gets unwanted attention (Police), 101% rice, not good for your ears (even at 5th gear!!!!)

Dont forget the environment!!!

soul4real
14-04-2004, 12:41 AM
I got HKS Hiper on my DC2 and it's not that loud at all, I've heard plenty louder exhausts.

type one
14-04-2004, 07:51 AM
I got HKS Hiper on my DC2 and it's not that loud at all, I've heard plenty louder exhausts.

victype made "adjustments" to his piping...

soul4real
14-04-2004, 09:55 AM
I see ;)

A'PEXi
14-04-2004, 11:03 AM
can we see some pictures of these exhausts?.... physical differences?

tofu R
14-04-2004, 11:55 AM
the thread should be named vtec "music"
not noise =P
noise is bad =P

mike_cheung
16-04-2004, 08:41 PM
haha yeh it does sound kinda crazy wen vtec kicks in

Anonymous
17-04-2004, 01:45 AM
top end power....use 1 straight pipe, for instance: Buddyclub spec 2....ho lung loud ga...........or use RSR GT11, its the same as Buddyclub spec 2.... if u are after more torque, use spoon N1

Creative
17-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Im grabing a Tanabe Hyper Medallion in a few weeks so can let you know what it sounds like on a 5th gen lude :)

Ive heard its nice at idle and really opens up at WOT :D

McChook
17-04-2004, 02:31 PM
I'm going Mugen and Type S next weekend... I'll try and get an audio capture of that...

15SIK
17-04-2004, 02:39 PM
ive got the n1 on my dc5 ive driven around for 4 months and the police havent even worried about it. i reckon the spoon is the best i have heard by far

pckit
17-04-2004, 04:35 PM
i have the mugen on my dc5 and its very quiet down low.. you dont get any attention at all. In vtec its a very nice tone but still no where near as loud as some of the other exhaust.

mike_cheung
17-04-2004, 05:50 PM
have u got a audio file u can send of the mugen??
wat is only the muffler or the whole exhuast system?

pckit
17-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Its the mugen twinloop catback. I'll try and get an audio file sometime next week

Money
18-04-2004, 08:02 PM
For myself If I need to change exhaust for the DC2R, only brand I will choose is Mugen, coz it 100% will gain more power and not loud.
Because I like hear the VTEC engine sound more than the sound from the exhaust!

mike_cheung
19-04-2004, 09:07 PM
so ur more likely to hear vtec with a mugen exhuast then any other exhuast?

im lookin for more of the vtec nosie then the noise from the exhuast itself

Rexxy
22-04-2004, 01:26 AM
go get urself a custom N1 exhaust, will save you heaps against all the named brands, and you can also have them connect 4 or 5 different types of muffler to see which sound you like best........

or just go a and spend sh|tloads on a name brand and just Hope you like the sound, or get the improvements your expecting....

B-)

Javed
22-04-2004, 01:41 AM
My car came with a custom catback. It is an absolute piece of shit. Not saying all custom work would be, but this was done by a *reputable* performance shop. The whole job sucked and now I have the trouble of fixing it. If you can afford it go for what is proven, no point playing the guessing game with custom work, the results can be quite disappointing as I found out.

Rexxy
22-04-2004, 07:35 AM
Who did your custom exhaust ?? In Sydney ??

ArSe
22-04-2004, 05:37 PM
hey

guys im new to this forum but was reading some stuff on what you said.....

spoon does have a b-pipe, and it is really lite.... the N1 muffler is only affective when there is a b-pipe, high flow cat this is minimal......

you can always do a custom b-pipe from your local exhaust people to save money..... but its not going to be exactly the same, but it will work well..... just depends what you want.... can be a different brand... performance will alter accordingly.

nobody is going to try every combination of brands and see what puts out the most output so the final decision is urs....

Cheers,
ArSe

type one
24-04-2004, 12:18 AM
ok i promised a quick review after b-pipe installed...

thought that v-tec sounded awesome when i just had axle back but with b-pipe installed v-tec roars... and it doesn;t drown the sound of v-tec it actually amplifies x10...

... with b pipe mid range gains (bum test) MUCH better.. feels much stronger and smoother across the power band up toward 8000 + (mind you this is with ecu as well)...

incoming
24-04-2004, 12:31 AM
thought i'd add my 2cents..

i had my exhaust done at local muff shop.. 2.25" mandrel bend from cat back... stock headers.. oh this was a JDM b16a and custom cAI

my vtec induction was louder then my exhaust and i havent heard any honda that was louder then my car b4... seriously it was louder then the skyline and wrx i raced! (too which i lost hehe)

damn i miss my car.. :(

cheebye
24-04-2004, 11:16 AM
what exactly is a b-pipe? :oops:

eknine
24-04-2004, 12:25 PM
what exactly is a b-pipe? :oops:

the pipe located after the cat and before the axle back :)

in the case of spoonsports...the pipe looks like this
http://www.spoon.jp/images/lineup/026_01.jpg
or cut and paste : http://www.spoon.jp/images/lineup/026_01.jpg

cheebye
24-04-2004, 12:50 PM
ok thx :)

McChook
24-04-2004, 01:24 PM
... seriously it was louder then the skyline and wrx i raced! (too which i lost hehe)

Of course it was louder. Turbos reduce the exhaust noise.... DUH

Javed
24-04-2004, 01:32 PM

LMAO. Yep just gotta listen to my mates 13B turbo rotor againdth is standard 13B. The N/A one is loud as buggery!

McChook
24-04-2004, 01:35 PM

LMAO. Yep just gotta listen to my mates 13B turbo rotor againdth is standard 13B. The N/A one is loud as buggery!

Ahh, Chicken cookers (rotiseries) are just plain annoying.. they go wank wank wank wank wank.... bloody annoying... But an non turbo 13B with no muffler = BLOODY ANNOYING, and loud... I have to hang around enough damn 13B race cars... annoying

mike_cheung
24-04-2004, 03:37 PM
so u guys saying buy getting a b-pipe the vtec noise would be clear to hear, n louder?

Creative
25-04-2004, 12:55 AM
Here is a clip of my new installed Tanabe Super Hyper Medallion that I got today. Its a 350Kb file and goes for about 1 min.....excuse my voice in it :D
heheheheh

http://users.bigpond.net.au/batmaun/car/exhaust/sound.mp3

Not the best but you get the idea of the sound - which I might add is frikken AWESOME :P

McChook
25-04-2004, 09:51 PM
I should say, that the MUGEN twin loops are not quiet..

Mine is extremely loud....

type one
26-04-2004, 04:25 PM
exhuast in creative... good stuff... not too many hassless i hope!!

GODZLA
05-06-2005, 08:56 PM
ohh man..im involved..get a 4"straight..it will wake up the country :P:P

OZ#227
05-06-2005, 09:20 PM
I'll be fitting my Toda Header this week, I've got the Vision Cat back + Jap cat. The Vision Axle back was about $600 & the change in sound from stock was perfect.
That's just the Vision axle back, all the rest Stock TypeR.
Much deeper and not offenceive even without the silencer. Once the Header goes on in might need the silencer in for the Street.

sever_all_ties
06-06-2005, 12:09 AM
anyone have a trust pe2? sounds? performance?

Felix
06-06-2005, 08:59 AM
If u wanna hear your Vtec kick in, then just take the top of your airbox off!
Thats all i did, now the induction noise is soo loud, it sounds awesome, and got a bit of extra power too.

jmlo
08-06-2006, 07:28 AM
i have a trust peII on an STI, and if u guys don't know the wrx or sti's well, its damn hard to keep one quiet with an aftermarket system. BUT my car pulls in under 90DB (right on 88db!) with a full turbo back exhaust system. So yaeah, not sure if that helps for you n/a guys though :S

civicCXI
01-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Does any1 have Tanabe Concept G exhaust installed? I listened to the sound clip, and sounds really deep all rpms and it's under 93 dB. Opinions?

Furious_Dc5TypeR
04-08-2006, 09:45 PM

I got Trust pe2 on my dc5R.
It's so great, I love the sound, perfomance on my baby.
feel the scream of beast vtecking yo!

Justified
22-08-2006, 09:01 PM

I got Trust pe2 on my dc5R.
It's so great, I love the sound, perfomance on my baby.
feel the scream of beast vtecking yo!

Does anyone have one on their DC2R (or experienced one on a dc2r)?

Just wondering whether it has any bottlenecks?

Also, in comparison to other exhausts such as the fujitsubo RM01a, would it offer the same amount of power gains (if any at all..hehe)

jdm_kid
22-08-2006, 09:37 PM
spec 2 the screamer !

phantom_civic
22-08-2006, 09:39 PM
spec 2 the screamer !

word!!:thumbsup:

Zdster
22-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Does anyone have one on their DC2R (or experienced one on a dc2r)?

Just wondering whether it has any bottlenecks?

Also, in comparison to other exhausts such as the fujitsubo RM01a, would it offer the same amount of power gains (if any at all..hehe)

Please start a new thread. This is over two years old and has been answered.