PDA

View Full Version : Technical brake questions

Zdster
18-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi guys, just wanted to get your thoughts on something.

I just picked up a full brake upgrade, including e (emergency) brake lines as well master cylinder (MC) and proportioning valve (PV).

All of the parts that I have accumulated have come of a civic to replace the drums on my civic.

Really I have two questions:
1) I have read on a few places that say replace the e-brake lines with new ones from Honda (just to be on the safe side). I have looked at the lines however and they appear to be in pretty good condition (can take photos if anyone wants to see). What are all of your thoughts - go to Honda and get new ones or dont worry about it and use the current ones as they look fine?

2) Is there really a need to upgrade my current mc and pv?

Thanks.

Note: all of the parts have come off a 98 civic vti.

EGB18CT
18-01-2006, 03:49 PM
ive heard that if you dont upgrade master cylinder and valve the brake tend to lock up quicker and you get a softer pedal feel. The prop valve is also different on disk brakes "40/40" compared to "3030" i thinks... acts as a brake bias of some sort...

to be on the safe side i doubt it will cost much more so id do it.

what parts did you need exactly as i will be doing mine soon as well as the fronts to integra vtir spec with 1" boost/mast and all that.. (soz to hijack thread)

Zdster
18-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Well, some have said in the states that new e-brake lines are $80US a piece (i havent spoken to Honda here to confirm though) which is a fair expense - just not sure if I really need them or not????

Ok, so you think that I should upgrade the PV and while I am there just replace the MC as well? Anythoughts on requiring a brake booster?

Re the hijack :D: When upgrading from drum-to-disk you need

trailing arm
hub assembly (caliper, rotor, pads etc)
brake lines
e-brake lines
master cylinder
proportioning valve
I wasnt able to find anyone who had the integra setup for sale so I want with the civic one instead.

What are other peoples thoughts on my first two questions?

EGB18CT
18-01-2006, 04:53 PM
thanks for the info.

i wouldnt worry about the ebrake line, people mainly change the brake line that connects to the caliper to braided but is not really needed unless u track car often.

Are you considering bigger front brakes?
I phoned imlachs in melb and the guy told me that prop and boost/mast cylinder is not needed, but from other peoples experiences the pedal has felt softer and brakes sometimes locked up accidentally.

to be safe id do the prop mast boost cylinder as they were basically designed for the drum setup. all you need is a 15/16 master cyl and the prop valves so brake bias and pedal feel is maintained.

check out hybrid honda:
http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/5gtech/index.html

thinks thats the link guy on there went through the setup...

Zdster
18-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Cool, will check it out. I have also sent you a PM :thumbsup:.

EGB18CT
18-01-2006, 05:11 PM
pm replied!

honda_b_blastn
18-01-2006, 05:21 PM
You dont need the trailing arm,if you look inside the trailing arm there is 4 or 5 internal star socket bolts holding the hub onto the arm,this allows you to change your drum hub to the disk hub..:) therefor saving a few $$$.

The parking brake cables have to be changed as they are different design between the drum and disk setup.

I strongly urge you to change your propertional valve along with your master cyclinder and also booster if you want maximum potential out of your brake upgrade.

Zdster
18-01-2006, 05:32 PM
You dont need the trailing arm,if you look inside the trailing arm there is 4 or 5 internal star socket bolts holding the hub onto the arm,this allows you to change your drum hub to the disk hub..:) therefor saving a few $$$.

Damit, now you tell me :D :(.

The parking brake cables have to be changed as they are different design between the drum and disk setup.

Yeah, with the swap I picked up a set of rear e-brake cables that came off the same car as the disc brakes. My question is, does it matter if they are used??? Do I need to go to Honda and buy new ones or should the new ones suffice?

EGB18CT
18-01-2006, 05:38 PM
just use the e cable from the disc setup just check over it to make sure the look ok and not damaged.

Zdster
18-01-2006, 05:44 PM
just use the e cable from the disc setup just check over it to make sure the look ok and not damaged.

Can anyone else confirm this?

I strongly urge you to change your propertional valve along with your master cyclinder and also booster

Is the brake booster really necessary? Anyone got any pics of it? Never seen one before.

destrukshn
18-01-2006, 05:53 PM
i'm also planning to do a rear brake upgrade to discs on my eg.
didn't know you needed the prop valv, master cylinder and booster as well?

EGB18CT
18-01-2006, 05:54 PM
http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/brakepics/img11.jpg

the opaqueish looking can with greay lid is connected to the booster the nlack round thing behind that, hard to see because firewall is black.

honda_b_blastn
18-01-2006, 06:51 PM
you dont "need the booster,prop valve" but its good too.

Yes you can use the used cables,just check for usual cracks,bad signs of wear ect.

Zdster
18-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the response :thumbsup:.

I have the prop. valve just not the booster. May try this first and see how it goes.

iamhappy46
18-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Use the MC and PV in this swap, otherwise the rear brakes will tend to lock up.

Make sure the 'e-brake' cable runs freely inside its out sheath or it can also result in rear brakes locking up.

Your existing PV has too much fluid bias to the rear(as drums take more pressure to work)

Make sure you flush out any old brake fluid and bleed them with fresh DOT4 fluid

Zdster
18-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Use the MC and PV in this swap, otherwise the rear brakes will tend to lock up.

Make sure the 'e-brake' cable runs freely inside its out sheath or it can also result in rear brakes locking up.

Your existing PV has too much fluid bias to the rear(as drums take more pressure to work)

Make sure you flush out any old brake fluid and bleed them with fresh DOT4 fluid

Thanks for the feedback, going to do all that has been mentioned :thumbsup:.