PDA

View Full Version : VTEC Lsd!

EnvydGen1
19-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Hey people! i have found a few places n stuff but like they say if you would like the LSD n i was wandering if i should get the engine with the LSD because i heard that u can corner better with the LSD! But i aint to sure n plus wanderin wat yous recon! a Gen1 or Gen2 B16A (Gen2 comes with LSD) which ones better, i mean i know Gen1 is older, but still yous recon just go newer the better (which means more money)!! Let Me Know PPl's!

Cheers..Mike :honda: 4Life

Jus-10
19-01-2006, 07:21 AM
I prefer my Honda engines with VTEC.....I don't know much about this chinese knock-off V-tech sh*t, but whatever floats your boat.....

A Gen 1 B16 will be easier to fit thanks to cable operated clutch (I'm assuming it's going in to the 86 'teg?).

Chi
19-01-2006, 08:58 AM
lol justin.

Slow96GSR
19-01-2006, 09:01 AM
You got that all wrong... Cornering sucks with a LSD (Limited Slip Differential). See a LSD locks up the diff and makes it so the wheels spin the same speed. The use it in drag racing. If you want a cornering car you don't want the LSD unless you are doing auto-x or an event that has some straights where you need to pick up speed fast. It can cause premature wear on the tires and stress on the rest of the car. You can buy any Honda and get an LSD put in for about $1200 USD new and installed. There are only about a dozen manufactures out there that make them! Not going to have an issue there.

Got this off www.howstuffworks.com
"The differential has three jobs:
· To aim the engine power at the wheels
· To act as the final gear reduction in the vehicle, slowing the rotational speed of the transmission one final time before it hits the wheels
· To transmit the power to the wheels while allowing them to rotate at different speeds (This is the one that earned the differential its name.)
Car wheels spin at different speeds, especially when turning. You can see that each wheel travels a different distance through the turn, and that the inside wheels travel a shorter distance than the outside wheels. Since speed is equal to the distance traveled divided by the time it takes to go that distance, the wheels that travel a shorter distance travel at a lower speed. Also note that the front wheels travel a different distance than the rear wheels.

The locking differential is useful for serious off-road vehicles. This type of differential has the same parts as an open differential, but adds an electric, pneumatic or hydraulic mechanism to lock the two output pinions together."

Look here for more Diff. Info! (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm)

majic777
19-01-2006, 09:17 AM
You got that all wrong... Cornering sucks with a LSD

Say that to anyone with a dc2r or dc5r and they'll laugh themselves silly.

SPEEDCORE
19-01-2006, 09:24 AM

Or me with an EK4 with a Quaife :!:

It has totally transformed the car's cornering capabilities on the track.

Chi
19-01-2006, 09:24 AM

FR33K
19-01-2006, 09:37 AM

Andys
19-01-2006, 10:56 AM
You got that all wrong... Cornering sucks with a LSD
Mate I think you're confusing a LSD with a non-slip diff or locked diff.

bennjamin
19-01-2006, 11:00 AM
i think the deciding factor is the type of diff (1.5 way , 2 way etc).
Ive driven both ITR variants and they pull brilliantly thru corners....perhaps CORNERS are what ITR's are "known" for lol !

SiR JDM
19-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Mate I think you're confusing a LSD with a non-slip diff or locked diff.

:thumbsup: i think so too

Andys
19-01-2006, 11:07 AM
i think the deciding factor is the type of diff (1.5 way , 2 way etc).
Can you elaborate on how each one felt differently to you?

bennjamin
19-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Can you elaborate on how each one felt differently to you?

i hav only felt the units in the 2 x ITR's as described before.

My point was , the LSD design designates how it performs in acceleration and deceleration -

VTECfreak
19-01-2006, 11:50 AM
What does a stock DC5R have? 1 way?

19-01-2006, 11:54 AM

sever_all_ties
19-01-2006, 11:57 AM
"You got that all wrong... Cornering sucks with a LSD"

Yeah....i love frying my inside tire when cornering and getting absolutely no traction....

SPEEDCORE
19-01-2006, 12:14 PM
What does a stock DC5R have? 1 way?

They are torsen/helical style units.

I've had this argument before and don't want to get into one here..... but.....

In reality.... I "personally" think the OEM ITR and Quaife are neither 1, 1.5 or 2.

My justification for this is that they are constantly transfering power to the wheel with most resistance/"grip". I am not sure if this occurs also under deceleration :!:

"IF" the helical/torsen style diffs do not offer any lock what so ever under deceleration, then I will correct myself and say that they should be considered a mechanical 1 way.

As for describing the feel of driving a FWD honda with a Quaife, if I had to say if it feels like a 1, 1.5 or 2 way.... I would have to say it feels like something between a 1 and 1.5.

My point was , the LSD design designates how it performs in acceleration and deceleration - *nods* :thumbsup: Yep.... which also vastly changes the handling characteristics of a vehicle. Stay away from 2 way for FWD is all I can say unless your driving style is to induce oversteer and use throttle to pull out of the corner and keep the rear in check!

To the original poster, the OEM Type R diffs found in hondas which I am sure are all helical/torsen... they are all that your regular person out there needs even if they are a weekend track warrior. I honestly don't see the point in buying clutch pack style diffs for anything that will see daily driving, the maintenance is not worth it (pulling gearbox apart everytime).... let alone having to run diff specific tranny fluid that will allow the plates to work properly but may not be appropriate for the other gearbox internals.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Speedy!

Bludger
19-01-2006, 12:31 PM
very informative, how do i give ppl information points?

bennjamin
19-01-2006, 12:36 PM

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31660

tinkerbell
19-01-2006, 01:39 PM

you cant, but i will hook speedcore up with some (mine are worth more anyways...)

SKREMN
19-01-2006, 05:31 PM
I got a stock LSD fitted with my conversion some jap box with cable not shure wat one but
I noticed cornering was better
in and out of roundabouts especially it will pull better and not drift stright
just grips and pulls
definetly alot better the no LSD
but not safe in the wet, hates corners just goes stright

JETYPR
19-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Get yourself a quaife. Check the quaife website for the dist in NZ i bought mine from there it works out much cheaper with the conversion rate and cheaper freight. You will find most LSD for fwd its a 1.5 way so it helps you gear down but it wont effect your cornering in a bad way.

I got a quaife in a civic box to lower my final drive to 4.4 from 4.7, i drive it hard and it shits over the factory lsd and a car without lsd sucks ass in comparison. Its nice nowing you dont need to worry about single spinning thru corners and having the car jump all over the place if it spins the whole car goes where its pointed

kousoku
20-01-2006, 08:12 AM
You got that all wrong... Cornering sucks with a LSD (Limited Slip Differential). See a LSD locks up the diff and makes it so the wheels spin the same speed.

:wave: :D

· To transmit the power to the wheels while allowing them to rotate at different speeds

JETYPR
20-01-2006, 11:01 AM
i wouldn't drive my car without one and it certainly handles better with the quaife than the factory lsd. i guarantee i can push my harder now especially in the wet or if the roads are dirty (not a dirt road i dont drive on them). But each driver has their own opinions on what they like or dislike thats why everybody's car is different we mod to our own tastes or likes

Bludger
24-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Can i please make a request for ppl who know the info that i'm after, to post it up.
I'm after as much detail as you guys and gals can muster up, so give it a good effort ppls.... (you'll get a big kiss from me)
1 - Info about torsen lsd
2 - Info about Helical LSD
3 - Viscous lsd
4 - any other type of diff you can think of, break it down and explain

tinkerbell
24-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Can i please make a request for ppl who know the info that i'm after, to post it up.
I'm after as much detail as you guys and gals can muster up, so give it a good effort ppls.... (you'll get a big kiss from me)
1 - Info about torsen lsd
2 - Info about Helical LSD
3 - Viscous lsd
4 - any other type of diff you can think of, break it down and explain

http://www.google.com/advanced_search

also - if you cant find the info by searching there, try other forums, like the BIG usa ones...

http://honda-tech.com/zerosearch

http://honda-acura.net/forums/search.php

http://forums.hybridgarage.com/search.php?Cat=

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/search_form.asp

http://www.itr-dc2.com/forum/search.php?

Shraka
26-01-2006, 03:19 AM
As I understand it the LSD that comes with the Type R should shit all over any after market LSDs. They transer power to the wheel with the most grip, even before you start to lose traction. This pulls you round corners far better. I all just goes to the loaded up wheel.

Then again I've never even driven a Type R. This is just what I hear from those who have.

NightKids
26-01-2006, 10:52 PM
so where did that 96GSR guy go?