PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with Exedy Sports Organic Clutch

_FeRiO_
19-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi Guys, just wondering to those who have had experience with the Exedy Sports Organic Clutch if they are also perfect for street use. Have read that they have increased pedal effort, slight shudder and increased cabin noise. How bad is it really??. Does it piss u off or anything??. Any other down sides to it.
It's for my Em1 and plan on tracking it just occasionally. Majority will be just cruising like a granny. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

VTC-8OY
19-01-2006, 03:08 PM
i got one in my car. there is now downside to it, by far better than the stock clutch.. n wat u mean by cabin noise??

_FeRiO_
19-01-2006, 03:12 PM
im guessing it's louder in the car. Not 2 sure, but it's on the exedy home page.

did u notice an increase in noise??

tinkerbell
19-01-2006, 03:14 PM
it smells like burning curry if you slip it too much.

it is quite a bit heavyier, but just means you select neutral at the lights more often (better for GB anyways)

the shudder is apparent when you try to gently slip the clutch e.g when parking, but my car vibrates more from the EnergySuspension engine mounts than the clutch...

tinkerbell
19-01-2006, 03:15 PM
ALSO - do a search this has been covered before!!!! :!:

poid
19-01-2006, 04:29 PM
mine is no heavier and makes no noise...just like stock except it can actually hold some power/torque

and yeh this has been covered before, i remember making an almost identical post lol

bennjamin
19-01-2006, 05:14 PM
yes this has been covered !

I have the exedy "HD" unit for my lil civic - apparently the clamping pressure is up 28% or something but it is a stock disc. Feels noticeably heavier and overall is a better feel than stock.

Check it - i used the search feature -

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18409&highlight=Exedy+Sports+Organic+Clutch

Weq
19-01-2006, 06:35 PM
umm my HD clutchwas felt lighter then stock. And an organic disk WONT shudder or sound different unless the flywheel hasnt been machined flat. You are confusing it with a puck'd disc.

iamhappy46
19-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Organics are a little shuddery as they offer more friction that a conventional HD clutch but not as much as a brass or ceramic puck clutch.

Try to avoid riding the clutch too much and they will give you a trouble free life.

ProECU
19-01-2006, 09:21 PM
I've had 2 bad experiences with Exedy and I wont go back.
They've even admitted to me they had a problem with their pressure plates in the past.

I run James' old ACT with a custom ceramic disk, and it is awesome.

EfiOz
20-01-2006, 10:20 AM
A heavy duty pressure plate is usually still lighter than a worn out stock one anyway.

Bowzer
20-01-2006, 02:49 PM
It's a disclaimer they put in all their 'sports' and performance clutches to reduce liability and warranty claims.

But yes you will find organic clutches from exedy to be OEM like

If you do decide on on go for the Exedy clutches, get the part numbers that are Made in Japan. They have Australian made ones as well, i've put my money on the Japanese made ones due to the fact the quality of them is better and clamping force is higher.

You can tell the JDM ones come in a pink packaging, the Clutch Plate and Pressure plate are packaged in seperate boxes. on the Pressure plate you will see EXEDY logo and 'Made in Japan' (assuming B series).

iamhappy46
20-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Only Exedy OEM replacement and HD kits are made in Australia. All other kits are made in Japan, including the Sports Organic kit, Sports Ceramic, multiplate etc

They now ALL come in pink packaging(Big box) and seperate boxes inside for individual parts.

garett
20-01-2006, 07:41 PM
the shudder upon take off is inevitable, but it will happen to when droping gears unless you match the revs. dont get it if you do a lot of stop start traffic driving cos your left leg will fall off.

the power delivery feels heaps better and high speed changes are fantastic. launching is good too, just dont take off on a hill in the wet

BlitZ
23-01-2006, 11:18 AM
when i went to get my clutch they told me there is only original and heavy duty and they utlise the oem clutch plate.. then its all triple plate and brass button stuff..

I cant seem to even find oragnic sprots clutch on the website either..

where can i get hold of an organic clutch plate?

ginganggooly
23-01-2006, 11:20 AM
when i went to get my clutch they told me there is only original and heavy duty.. then its all triple plate and brass button stuff..

I cant seem to even find oragnic sprots clutch on the website..
i think the code was hkc7111so or something along those lines.

Weq
23-01-2006, 05:30 PM
this is BULLSH*t. A organic disc shouldnt shudder. get ur flywheel checked.

tinkerbell
24-01-2006, 09:10 AM
this is BULLSH*t. A organic disc shouldnt shudder. get ur flywheel checked.

so you know form personal experience?

ANY two non-similar surfaces CAN shudder when friction is caused between them...

bennjamin
24-01-2006, 09:16 AM
according to the blurb organic clutch discs are more resistant to "slippage and burst" but ive felt it first hand myself on a newish setup.

iamhappy46
24-01-2006, 09:24 AM
I agree with tinkerbell...

Try opening your door at 60Km/h and placing an organic object(maybe your hand, lol) on a smooth road... I am sure there will be shudder then ;)

But seriously, the sprung centre of the organic disc can only take so much before it shudders.

Blitz: The Sports Organic Clutch is not available in all sizes/engine types.

bennyBear
25-01-2006, 10:31 AM
One of the best modifications i have made to my car, my teg is my daily driver. I also had a sports organic clutch installed about 15 months ago, no problems then and still no problems now.

For my purposes, i.e. Daily driving/occasional weekend warrior, this clutch gives a good mix of oem drivability with a sportier feel, i believe the guys that installed it for me quoted about 35-40% stronger clamp <--- this is definately evident.

Like tinkerbell said, it does smell if you slip it too much, but i would be hesitant to go any stronger without driveline upgrades (gear box) or you will be shredding teeth.

Good value for money clutch IMO.