PDA

View Full Version : B18C Pistons

spetz
19-01-2006, 07:20 PM
How hard would it be to source some B18C non type R pistons, and at the same time B18C7 pistons? In good condition?

bennjamin
20-01-2006, 10:27 AM
warning to both you - this isnt a WANTED TO BUY section. Keep the hijackign out :)
Keep it to PM thanks

Reply only with help or links etc.

In other words Spetz , it wouldnt be hard , as a few people both locally and interstate have replaced stock pistons with other items etc.

Slow96GSR
20-01-2006, 02:16 PM
There's a whole bunch of companies that make pistons. JE and CP can custom make you some. They just need to know what you want to do. Send them the specs and in a few weeks, depending on how busy they are, you'll have new custom pistons.

www.jepistons.com www.cppistons.com

todaek9
22-01-2006, 12:52 PM
i think new Type R piston is only like 4-600aud???..isn't it??? why would u wanna find 2nd hand?

spetz
22-01-2006, 09:11 PM
I didn't think they would be that cheap...

So how much would second hand non type r pistons go for? $50-$100?

Slow96GSR
23-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Well what size do you want? Stock 81mm or do you want over sized? Do you want the type-r compression ratio of 10.5:1 or higher for a naturally aspirated motor or lower for forced induction? I wouldn't go more than .040" over with out sleeving but it's up to you. Most places sell the stock size pistons for the same as a performance piston so you can go either way. Just depends on what condition the block is in too. Are the cylinder walls good or are the really shiny or have grooves? You need to know that so if you have to hone it you don't have too much space between the cylinder walls and the piston. If I were you I would have the block checked before you buy pistons. Then if any machining has to be done you know what to get. See here ( http://www.strathlan.com/TEK/docs/ThermalConsiderations.pdf) for sizing.

Here (http://motors.search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&fcl=3&from=R10&fstype=1&mppfqy=integra&satitle=integra&sacat=33623%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=2%26fsoo%3D2&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fmmk=&fmmd=&fylo=&fyhi=&mppfQy=gsr&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=80962&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=) and here (http://motors.search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&fcl=3&from=R10&fstype=1&mppfqy=civic&satitle=civic&sacat=33623%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=2%26fsoo%3D2&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fmmk=&fmmd=&fylo=&fyhi=&mppfQy=integra&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=80962&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=)!!

spetz
24-01-2006, 04:09 AM
Sorry guys this seems to be a no go.
The engine internals have already been balanced, which apparently took nearly a full week?? And new cylinder sleeves just came in
And the engine builder said it wouldn't be a good idea to go any more than 1.5mm oversize, which is on a 78mm bore already...

Slow96GSR
24-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Holy shiznit! 78mm!! Damn better be sleeved because stock b16 and b18 is 81mm!! D-series is a 75mm stock bore. That much clearance would be bad unless he is building you a d-series motor! b-series: .010 over is 81.25mm, .020 over is 81.5mm, .040 over is 85mm and .080 is 88mm. I would make sure you have everything correctly stated here. From what it sounds like, he is making a smaller bored motor, which is good if you want really high rpm’s, but not going to produce much power unless it's boosted. As for balancing taking a week, it could. Depends on the builder and parts. Also the equipment they use. Takes our shop a day to balance 1-3 motors depending on what it is. A 4 cyl takes less than a v-8.

spetz
24-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Well the bore is the standard of 78.4mm to be exact
And stroke is 69mm standard.
It is a V6 though and 1999cc
He said that balancing it was really hard and hard to find the weights or something? I didn't pay for it though. GPC in sydney is doing the work and the balancing was sent to Harris Engineering which I think Milton did it as a favour to Charlie for a good price.

The engine is sleeved... he told me the sleeves only arrived from Japan within the last week. Aren't all engines sleeved from factory or does this mean that the cylinder was hone to accomodate a sleeve?

Slow96GSR
24-01-2006, 03:39 PM
I thought you were building a B-series! LOL! You asked for ITR pistons!! Anyways, when they say sleeved they mean (99.9% of the time!) that they put new ones in. Some motors come with "sleeves" but most are cast into the block when it is made. When you sleeve the block you bore the old cylinder out and press/slide/whatever the new ones in. Then they are just under stock size so you can bore/hone to spec. I have heard of Harris Engineering, they do good work from what I have heard. Being in the U.S. there is an abundance of good fab shops and a lot of people can do it themselves if they are really in to building their motors.

spetz
24-01-2006, 03:51 PM
No it's not a B series,
I was just hoping that with B series pistons I could easily and safely fit them to increase CR and CC

Slow96GSR
24-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Ahh, you could do that with gaskets and the valve setup if not by pistons. If they can do cylinder heads, bet they can, then they can "tune" the cylinder to spec. See if they flow tested it too. I'm interested in the numbers down there.