PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglassing

FR33K
19-01-2006, 10:36 PM
ok i wanna fibreglass my rear lip to my rear bar so it looks as one..
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=2238

Question is... what steps should i take to prepare it ?
Will the fibreglass stick to the plastic ?
ive tried sanding off some paint but it wont budge... and it sticks to the sandpaper... is paint stripper a good idea ??

Let me know whats to do

mr_mojo02
19-01-2006, 10:40 PM
fiberglass will stick to plastic... but its not a long term thing... ur betta off scraping the paint back and using a filler of sum sort to cover the gap ( i think thats what ur doing)

newmski
19-01-2006, 11:09 PM
yeh id say filler apposed to fiberglass

FR33K
20-01-2006, 06:57 AM
hmm yeh but filler would just crack easier wouldnt it ???

BiGANG
20-01-2006, 08:35 AM
DONT use paint stripper you will kill your rear bar.
I would get a course grade paper and scuff up the bit that you want the fibreglass to bond to.
Body filler will be easier to get a good finish from as you wont have to add the twill and so therefore less hassles. But if you use body filler, apply it in thin layers, let it dry, scuff it up a bit and repeat. Youre gonna be in for a fair bit of work but itll look hot when its done.

20-01-2006, 09:09 AM
I would not recommend anyone using fibreglass on plastic, will give you nothing but problems. It will work for a little while and then it will start to crack around the join because fibreglass and plastic are not compatible with each other. Save yourself the headache.

Maybe just stick the lip on and urethane on top of the join then paint over that :thumbsup:

FR33K
20-01-2006, 09:18 AM
whats urethane and where can i get some ?? :)

iamhappy46
20-01-2006, 10:04 AM
urethane is what aftermarket suspension bushes are made from... So I no see how this will work, cause paint wont stick to urethane(no will oil, petrol, etc)

There is NO easy way to join plastic and fibreglass, espcecially if you want to paint over the top.

A friend of mine actually cut up another plastic bumper bar, cut it to suit and got it plastic welded to his original bar. Some spray putty over the top, some paint and you would swear it was a super tourer...

Captiva_Blue
20-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Fibre glass will bond with plastic but the join will definitely crack the first time it flexes.. this is because the two materials have different densities and hence, different flex characteristics.. what I think 'online 'is talking about is polyurethane, the plastic that OEM and expensive aftermarket bumpers are made of, not the stuff that aftermarket bushes are made of.. paint will stick to this and it won't crack as easily as fibreglass, but it is not a product that can be simply painted on and sanded back like the resin in fibreglass.. it has to be set in a mould otherwise it will look like shite.. it's also hideously expensive to buy..

Like iamhappy46 said, there is no easy way to join two bits of plastic together.. IMO
best to leave it to a professional if you want an OEM style finish that will last...

20-01-2006, 01:09 PM
what i mean when i say urethane is winscreen sealant, ( sikaflex ) you can get it in black and white and comes out of a tube like a silicon! It's good for sealing any gaps and once you paint over that it will look like the closest thing to moulding it.

BiGANG
20-01-2006, 01:28 PM
does the paint peel off the sikaflex though?

20-01-2006, 05:34 PM
does the paint peel off the sikaflex though?

No never! Once you seal it you would rub and hi-fil it, comes up really nice. trust me i have been doing it for many many years hehe

SKREMN
20-01-2006, 06:19 PM
best reinforce it from behind using anything else but fiberglass and then bog it on top
speek to me about it

iamhappy46
20-01-2006, 06:53 PM
strangely enough, polyurethane and urethane are the same product... Of course for aftermarket bodykits, when it is BAKED to cure it they use a product to help get it out of the mould, this is what the spray putty sticks to and allows painting.

This product is why urethane bodykits are so durable and don't crack, warp etc... cause it is the same stuff as aftermarket bushes.

Sikaflex is good, it allows a fair bit of movement and if you apply it right, it should work line online said.