PDA

View Full Version : B18C. Exhaust and Resonators.

shebangs
20-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Now my intake is done, I'm looking at getting my exhaust done. Headers are fine, more than likely will be TODA 4-2-1's. However, the part I'm not sure about is the cat back, resonators and sound.

I had a chat with Exotic Exhaust in Brisbane on Tuesday (they did my previous car and I was really impressed), and told him what I wanted "Cannon, but not too loud at low revs, definately no drone (!!) but I want it to sound awesome (not fart can)". - He said my best bet is probably to run the 2.5" with 2 resonators into the cannon (unsure of brand)" which will come to $500.

However, I'm kinda concerned about running the resonators.

Are they bad for performance? Will I be better off running a Twin Loop with no resonator? I want the sound, but it is primarily a performance upgrade (not just for the sound). I want the car to overall sound really good. I've heard too many excessingly loud fart cannon Honda's, which is why I'm kinda curious.

When people mention they have Spoon N1 exhaust's or any other brand name, do they also infer they ARENT running any resonators? Or do these brand name exhaust COME with resonators?

Matt

BiGANG
20-01-2006, 04:16 PM
most of the good brand exhausts have got a resonator in the piping. I wouldnt worry about running the resonators in the piping. It beefs the sound up as well so u dont get the tinny 'fart can' noise. just make sure all the piping is 2.5" mandrel bent and you get a high flow cat, the one resonator should make minimal difference dude.

PS. if you are unsure about the two, get the guy to put one in and if its too loud then get the second. might cost a bit more that way though.

Zdster
20-01-2006, 04:26 PM
I agree with BiGANG. I havent heard of any after market exhausts that dont run resonators (although I am sure there are that dont).

Personally I wouldnt worry to much about a performance loss due to a resonator. I would be more concerned with which muffler they choose and whether it is straight through design, made out of mild steel etc. Also consider whether you will upgrade your cat and if so match the cat size to your exhaust size properly.

shebangs
20-01-2006, 08:34 PM
I was hoping to just do the cat back now, then when I buy my headers, get him to fit them and also fit the new cat. This will be my second chance to change the sound of the exhaust if I don't like it. So I was thinking, if he fits 2, then it's too quiet I'll get him to remove 1.

totti
21-01-2006, 04:45 PM
2 resonators is overkill and will sound average, just get one resonator, if its too loud then get a second one installed
Also, the headers will change the exhaust note aswell, so i would get them installed together, then decide if your want another resonator or not.