PDA

View Full Version : B16A

CAT_SPEW
06-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Hey, I am very close to buying a B16A from Sydney, but I need to know what to ask them about it to verify that it is a JDM EG B16A. I have been told that it is a EG9 B16A half-cut, is this the JDM one? I know EG6 is, but EG9 is the 4 door right?

The KM's on it are 130xxx I think, not sure. Also it has a cracked radiator and minor damage where it has hit a small pole, bonnet, side guards, headlights are broken aswell. I currently have a 1.5L twin carby engine so does anyone know if my radiator will fit?

And please list any other questions I should ask them before I buy it.

Matt.

VTEChnique
06-04-2004, 04:31 PM
Cat Spew - LOVE the name HAHAHA

the EG9 is asia-only Ferrio (4-door civic) equipped with B16A2.

ONE thing to be carefull of is that it is a manual gearbox as a lot of Ferrio SiR's were Automatic and had a lower state of tune than the manual B16A's.

you will need the wiring harness and ECU also dont forget !! plus axles, mounts Gearbox, linkage etc..

are you actually getting the 'half-cut' or just the Motor ?

if you get the whole half-cut, you should have everything you need, but as for your radiator, you can prob get away with using your old radiator, just be sure to keep your eye on the temp guage on long trips and in summer and DO NOT get one of those 'spoon' high pressure radiator caps as this may over-pressurise your system..

CAT_SPEW
06-04-2004, 04:39 PM

ONE thing to be carefull of is that it is a manual gearbox as a lot of Ferrio SiR's were Automatic and had a lower state of tune than the manual B16A's.

you will need the wiring harness and ECU also dont forget !! plus axles, mounts Gearbox, linkage etc..

if you get the whole half-cut, you should have everything you need, but as for your radiator, you can prob get away with using your old radiator, just be sure to keep your eye on the temp guage on long trips and in summer and DO NOT get one of those 'spoon' high pressure radiator caps as this may over-pressurise your system..

Haha thanks mate, ryhmes with my name "Mat-thew", sorta anyway :P
He said that it came from Japan and it is a manual, I'm getting the whole half-cut. But do you think it might have been changed from auto to manual??
Are their any other difficulties that I might get installing this cut instead of a SiR II one?

CAT_SPEW
06-04-2004, 04:43 PM
I just had a look on HondaSwap and found this, it says that the A2 will be harder than the A3 or SiR II, anyone know why???
http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10

Setanta
06-04-2004, 07:28 PM
It has to do with the model of EG they got in the US. US forums are your worst enemy as while they have some good mod info, their cars can be subtly diffferent to the pan-Asia and Euro market. However, I'd not get it if you aren't sure - and would lean towards the EG6 cut if you can find one - that's known to work no worries :)

BTW - SiR II is just an interior mod designation. As in SiR is the base model, SiR II is enhanced with non-mechanical mods. This holds true for the EF and EGs, I don't know about the EK4 though.

Hence the SiR II motor is exactly the same as a SiR motor in an EG6. Bloody yanks and their half-knowledge.

It's up there with the Yanks telling me my SiR badge is wrong, that my steering wheel is leather, that the crossmembers are same as the ED ones, the sidemouldings are skinnier than the ED's etc - they have never owned the car but are all experts on it - and wrong.

CAT_SPEW
06-04-2004, 07:35 PM
It has to do with the model of EG they got in the US. US forums are your worst enemy as while they have some good mod info, their cars can be subtly diffferent to the pan-Asia and Euro market. However, I'd not get it if you aren't sure - and would lean towards the EG6 cut if you can find one - that's known to work no worries :)

BTW - SiR II is just an interior mod designation. As in SiR is the base model, SiR II is enhanced with non-mechanical mods. This holds true for the EF and EGs, I don't know about the EK4 though.

Hence the SiR II motor is exactly the same as a SiR motor in an EG6. Bloody yanks and their half-knowledge.

It's up there with the Yanks telling me my SiR badge is wrong, that my steering wheel is leather, that the crossmembers are same as the ED ones, the sidemouldings are skinnier than the ED's etc - they have never owned the car but are all experts on it - and wrong.

I would really really like to get a EG6 cut, but nothing else has come up over the past year really... And I have been looking non-stop.

It should all go in alright don't you think? Because if I get some information that says that I will ahve endless problems or anything like that then I will be better off waiting for another one which would be REALLY unfortunate..
So can anyone tell me for sure if this will go in ok or not?

Matt.

incoming
06-04-2004, 10:04 PM

i was just wondering, do all ferio civics come with b16a?
cos i know a chick that has one (its got the jdm front seats and badging) but never seen under the bonnet..

ah789454
07-04-2004, 07:24 AM
cat spew.--- where you getting your engine from. which importer?? cos my mate was gonna get his conversion done, but then backed out. so that b16a should still be there. i'll ask him today.

CAT_SPEW
07-04-2004, 08:03 AM
cat spew.--- where you getting your engine from. which importer?? cos my mate was gonna get his conversion done, but then backed out. so that b16a should still be there. i'll ask him today.

I'm going to get it from Just Jap imports, if you could get me the details of your mates one ASAP that would be sweet.

Breeze
07-04-2004, 09:38 AM
B16A radiator has bigger hose necks. Using your stock radiator you will need to at least double clamp but I would get a 92-95 crx radiator (same). Or take your radiator and the B16A one to a radiator shop and get the end tanks swapped. The stock copper radiator has the same efficiency as the single core alu B16A radiator.

The EG9 is no probs. The only difference is you will have a couple of extra warning lights on the dash (doors etc) that will not work. As for the rest it all goes straight in. I have done both EG9 and EG6 swaps and there is stuff all difference. There is no way it would be an ex auto swapped to manual, too much work and hassle in Japan.

Did you get a good price?

VTEChnique
07-04-2004, 11:01 AM
I agree, not worth auto to manual conversion in Japan...

EG9 swap will work no problem..

Ferrio does come in SOHC VTEC in Asia ie. not Japan

[[d a n n y]]
07-04-2004, 11:35 AM
leather steering wheel?

isnt there more than that?

joneblaze
07-04-2004, 11:52 AM

Should take his advice on board and remove it danny... ;)

[[d a n n y]]
07-04-2004, 12:03 PM
mines a EG6 radiator mate..

not a SOHC motor radiator

CAT_SPEW
07-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Awesome, thanks for all the replies everyone, I am definately going ahead with this cut now. The price isn't the best, but I guess you get what you pay for to an extent.
I'm gettin it for $2750, and pretty cheap freight up to my place because my dad is good friends with a truckie.

Thanks too for that radiator info, saved me screwing it up trying to figure it out myself :P
Any idea how long it will take to take the old one out and drop the new one in? I have a complete manual to it (thanks Incoming :D), and all the tools neccessary, hoist, shed, etc.

And I have been thinking about what to do with the leftovers from the old engine,gearbox etc.? I don't think anyone will want to buy it would they?

Breeze
07-04-2004, 05:48 PM
Takes me about 2 weeks working 8.30-about 11pm and one or two full days. Not including weekends (this is for carby to EFI B16A swap)

That includes
Removing dash, wiring, drivetrain from front cut (I also swap front crossmembers)
Removing same from your car
Replacing wiring, drivetrain, dash and A/C
Replacing and refurbishing rear brakes with disks
Replacing fuel tank with EFI tank
Run fuel pump wiring
Cut out air intake on inner right front guard
Replacing rear control arms
Replace shifter
Replace brake proportioning valve
Run new fuel tank lines (rubber) and modify existing metal lines.
Any maintenance (timing belt, clutch, wheel bearings, service, rear main seal and cam seals). Do all this while the engine is out.

REMEMBER TO GET SHIFT LINKAGE AND REAR BRAKES FROM ENGINE SUPPLIER!!!!!!!!

The EG9 parkbrake cables are about 2 inches longer than a standard rear disk equiped hatch cable. They still fit and will work though.

Have fun, especially pulling the under dash sound insulation off without damaging it.

Generally you always find your clutch master cylinder is stuffed and leaking. 90% of EGs do. A rebuild kit is available for about $11 from brake distributers or you can get a whole new piston assembly from honda for around $50.

May as well get the slave cylinder done at the same time but these are generally OK. Honda maint schedules never specify changing clutch fluid and so it never gets changed! Same with PS.

Oh yeah imports have often been sitting so the brake rotors often need machining and new pads are generally required. Wheel bearings should also be replaced at this time. Leave the rears as they are about $150 each AM or $300 each from Honda. If they whine replace them. Unfortunately drum rear hub bearings don't interchange with disk rear hub bearing assemblies.

You can actually repack Honda bearings and this is an option. You just need to knock out the inner races, clean out the old grease, repack and gently press the inner races back in.

Have fun!

saboteur
07-04-2004, 06:31 PM
What gearbox do you have? If it's an S40 I might be interested in keeping a spare :) I have a habit of killing them!

CAT_SPEW
07-04-2004, 07:03 PM
F*ck I hate Telstra!!!

Anyway, thanks HEAPS for that info Breeze, I'm going to print it out so I don't forget it ;)
I jsut sent the supplier and email then asking about the linkage and rear brakes. I read something a while ago about needing to buy Hasport custom shift linkage or something like that, not needed or what??

And I'm not sure what gearbox I have, but my engine is a D15B4 I think, 1.5L twin carby.

SIKCVC
07-04-2004, 11:31 PM
looks like you've got your work cut out for you dude... good luck... I'm glad i'm not gonna have that much trouble. I just hope some front cuts come in to melbourne soon. Plenty of ED front cuts no EG;s at the moment... Just jap didn't even have a front cut when i rang a couple of weeks ago.

CAT_SPEW
08-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Thanks, should be a good experience :D
Yeh I put a deposit on this cut AGES ago so that's probably why they said they had none, plus it only just came in.

saboteur
08-04-2004, 09:33 AM
And I'm not sure what gearbox I have, but my engine is a D15B4 I think, 1.5L twin carby.

It should say on the gearbox. Look to the left of where your engine number is printed on the block. I'm not too clued up on the D15B4.

Cheers,
Tim

CAT_SPEW
08-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Okai, I'll go have a looksee in a minute.
Nope, couldn't find it..

Breeze
08-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Use any B series gear linkage. Hasport not needed. If you cannot get the stock one then get one from any 92-99 integra (b18A or B18C, it doesn't matter. Rear brakes off a B18A will also do.

wynode
08-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Okai, I'll go have a looksee in a minute.
Nope, couldn't find it..

Might be covered in dirt/grime ;)

CAT_SPEW
08-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Use any B series gear linkage. Hasport not needed. If you cannot get the stock one then get one from any 92-99 integra (b18A or B18C, it doesn't matter. Rear brakes off a B18A will also do.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

Haha yeh their was a fair bit of dirt etc. on it, I found the 15B4 bit, but no sign of the gearbox stamp.