PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to hook up car audio speakers to a pc (not in car)

roar
22-01-2006, 07:43 PM
as the title sez...

yer i got a pioneer sub/2channel alpine amp just lying around and i was wondering how difficult it would be to hook this up to a pc

i understand you'd have to get a transformer of some kind to run the speakers/amp at 12V (is this right)?

ne help would be much appreciated

dynasty
22-01-2006, 08:14 PM
um, of u just want to supply ppwer to the amp, shouldnt be too hard, anf its just positive and negativve, u can hook up any car charger socket to the amp, and then get a car socket adaptor for home use, its like a charger that has a cigi lighter socket at the end so u can plug the car charging thingy in..hope u understood wot i said, lol

Captiva_Blue
22-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Shouldn't be too hard at all..

You'll need a 12 - 14.4volt transformer/battery charger, a 12volt car or alarm backup battery, a mini jack to RCA cable, some speaker cable and about half an hour...

Hook the speakers up to the amp in the regular way and use the mini jack to RCA cable to get a line in from the computer. With the charger and the battery, hook the amp's permanent power to the +ve terminal and the ground to the -ve terminal on the battery and then connect the charger/transformer to the battery as if to charge it. With the remote trigger lead, connect it to a 12volt +ve somewhere in the computer's power supply so the amp turns on when the computer does.

By having the battery connected in line with the amp and charger/tranformer it allows the amp to have a reservoir of power to draw on during loud or bass heavy passages of music. If it's not set up in this way, there is a real liklihood of burning out the amp and or transformer since the amp will not have enough power available to it during these passages (hence putting more stain on it) and the transformer may burn out due to excessive current draw demands being put on it.

TRU32U
23-01-2006, 05:01 AM
mmmmmmmm its easy but i wouldnt do it.
just the fact i dunno about yours but my comp speakers are 8 ohms, car speakers usually 2, 4 ohms
yes do-able. 3.5m jack to rca, to amp
batt pack supply pos n neg, and trigger. and usual speakers to speakers.
i jus wouldnt do it as different ohms dependances.

Slow96GSR
23-01-2006, 08:29 AM
mmmmmmmm its easy but i wouldnt do it.
just the fact i dunno about yours but my comp speakers are 8 ohms, car speakers usually 2, 4 ohms
yes do-able. 3.5m jack to rca, to amp
batt pack supply pos n neg, and trigger. and usual speakers to speakers.
i jus wouldnt do it as different ohms dependances.

Ohms really wouldn't matter. It does on the amp output but not the input. If he is using a sub from a car and an amp then I see no reason why he couldn’t. As long as the ohms don't go lower than what the amp can handle he's fine. Having a 1 ohm stable amp and an 8 ohm speaker is ok, just a lot of impedance but the amp can handle that. Can't handle a 1 ohm speaker on a 2 ohm stable amp... that would be bad.