PDA

View Full Version : Jazz Vs Barina SRI

b18c7
23-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Hello Jazz Owners.

My girlfriend is in the market for a new car this week
I have searched the forum and found no definative answer.
I wish to know what you would all choose if given the choice of a new Jazz or a new Barina SRI. The SRI puts out 92 kw and is 70+ kilos heavier than the JAZZ but the Vtec engine in the Jazz when coupled with a VAFC2 and some intake and exhaust mods will kick serious ass, plus its much lighter, However the Barina SRI is fully imported from Opel and has Traction Control and Front and rear discs etc, So which do you all think is the better choice. ??
:D

michael_antoi
23-01-2006, 11:22 AM
is ur gf after power?

FR33K
23-01-2006, 11:28 AM
honda forum...
u know what the answer is gonna be

Andys
23-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I note that traction control is not something the jazz ever needs :D It already has 4 wheel indepedant ABS.

- Andrew

BiLL|z0r
23-01-2006, 12:27 PM
I'd imagine the Barina be heaps faster if that's what she's after. 70kg's is nuthing since it has a 1.8ltr in it compared to the 1.5ltr. The Jazz would be built better though. My wife used to have a Barina and it was crap (the std model). Also keep in mind that Daewoo make some Holden cars now since Holden bought Daewoo, so it may not have the Opel quality like you think.

b18c7
23-01-2006, 12:57 PM
My girlfriend is probably not concerned with speed or power so much as feel and "niceness" for lack of a better word. , I am aware that the new Barina is built in Korea, but I am referring to the old one with the engine and drivetrain from germany and the chassis from spain, where it is refered to as the Opel Corsa.

aaronng
23-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Let me tell you ONE thing about the Barina SRi. The service schedule for the changing of timing belts on the 1.8L engine is at 4 years/60,000km. And..... it costs $770-1000 depending on which dealer you go to.

And..... The ignition barrel where the key goes in has failed on our 4 year old Astra. The dealer said, oh, this is a common problem and got a new barrel and changed it in 1 day. Not sure if the Barina uses the same type of key (and hence barrel), but it is something to keep in mind if you find your key not turning one day.

b18c7
23-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Geez thats an expensive Timing belt change, must need to remove the engine to do it, thats two crosses againts the SRI. lol

Fizz
23-01-2006, 03:02 PM
how about the jazz's timing belt? how much would it cost? or does the L15 engine uses a timing chain instead?

bennjamin
23-01-2006, 03:05 PM
guys , kep the discussion relative to options etc.

First mention of "on street performance" gets this a lock.
And , if anyone talks of on street racing , you will get a ban :)

Tony
23-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Ok, these are the problems my brother had with his Barina within the first 2 years of purchase:

- Rear brake bracket came loose, the car was 2 months old. Reason: 1 bolt was missing (Repaired under warranty)
- Injectors clogged up. Spent around $200 to clean the injector at dealership. (not covered under warranty)
- Takes over 20 seconds to start the car. Reason: Excessive carbon build up at throttle body. Not covered by warranty.
- Clicking noise near the rear suspension. Dealership said it is normal, they asked my brother to turn up the audio... wtf..

Problem I had with my Jazz within the first 2 years of purchase:

- Suspension makes a click noise every now and then. The car doesn't make that noise whenever I take it back to the dealership. They can't identify the problem and it's never been fixed.

aaronng
23-01-2006, 04:21 PM
how about the jazz's timing belt? how much would it cost? or does the L15 engine uses a timing chain instead?
Jazz L15 VTEC uses a timing chain. So no problem, unless in the future there is a problem with the chain tensioner and it is out of warranty. But basically it is a check and if the chain is ok, no need to replace. Opposite to the belt that MUST be changed in the specified interval. The reason the Barina and Astra's 1.8L engine's belt has to be changed within 60,000km is because of a defect in the cam sprocket design and it eats into the belt. Instead of changing the sprocket design, Opel and hence Holden decided to shorten the timing belt change interval from 100,000km to 60,000km.

That's not all, the Astra SRi comes with a 2.2L chain-driven engine. The hole in which oil flows to lubricate the camchain is so small, that it gets clogged eventually and the timing chain snaps within 100,000km! Such silly designs. And they still kept the defective design, instead opting to cover it under warranty work. If it happens to you after 3 years of ownership, then you're basically stuffed.

rakfint
23-01-2006, 05:21 PM
aaronng, how much did the ignition cost to fix, housemate has just had the same problem with her astra.. (bloody holdens!! hehe)

Catcha
23-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Just buy a Jap quality go Honda

JasonGilholme
23-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Let me tell you ONE thing about the Barina SRi. The service schedule for the changing of timing belts on the 1.8L engine is at 4 years/60,000km. And..... it costs $770-1000 depending on which dealer you go to.

And..... The ignition barrel where the key goes in has failed on our 4 year old Astra. The dealer said, oh, this is a common problem and got a new barrel and changed it in 1 day. Not sure if the Barina uses the same type of key (and hence barrel), but it is something to keep in mind if you find your key not turning one day.

i own a barina and it doesn't cost 770 - 1000

i just got mine changed from holden for 350 bucks. all OEM products.

Also the newer barinas, from about 2004 onwards use a chain not a belt.

Overall tho i wouldn't buy a barina again. especially the brand new one. The new one is the old daewoo Kalos just rebadged. and the old opel has shit engine management. For example if your air intake temperature goes over about 35 degrees the car goes into limp mode. Trust me on this one my car does it ALLLLL the time durin summer.

Get a honda. this is coming from an opel owner. THEY"RE SHIT

hope this helps

jase

aaronng
23-01-2006, 06:58 PM
aaronng, how much did the ignition cost to fix, housemate has just had the same problem with her astra.. (bloody holdens!! hehe)
It was under warranty. But it is not a huge repair. Just pulling apart the steering column cover and replacing the ignition/keybarrel.

b18c7
23-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Jazz is looking like a mighty good purchase at this stage.
:D

aaronng
23-01-2006, 07:09 PM
i own a barina and it doesn't cost 770 - 1000

i just got mine changed from holden for 350 bucks. all OEM products.

Also the newer barinas, from about 2004 onwards use a chain not a belt.

Overall tho i wouldn't buy a barina again. especially the brand new one. The new one is the old daewoo Kalos just rebadged. and the old opel has shit engine management. For example if your air intake temperature goes over about 35 degrees the car goes into limp mode. Trust me on this one my car does it ALLLLL the time durin summer.

Get a honda. this is coming from an opel owner. THEY"RE SHIT

hope this helps

jase
Is your Barina the SRi or the regular one? What I mentioned was applicable only to the SRi, specifically the Z18XE engine that is used in the Barina SRi and regular Astra models (both TS and AH).

Did you get it changed at the dealer? I've been calling various holden dealers and that was the price they quoted. The dealer at which my gf bought her astra is asking for 900-1100 range, and giving me a $995 estimate on another Astra that just had its 4 year service. Any suggestions for a cheaper place that is still a dealer?

Are you sure the 2004 Barina has a timing chain? I know that the engines for the 2004 manual and auto are different. From carsales, the 2004 manual barina is still using the z14xe, and that engine uses a timing belt.

And the 2005 "Daewoo" Barina is using a timing belt too.

BigWillieStyles
24-01-2006, 01:06 AM
I use to drive a Barina, dont know the model, it was like 2001 or something. Great car, until i rolled it across 4 lanes of oncoming traffic and into a forest in the dark :( , after that we got the Jazz with insurance payout. I remember that it wasnt as high up as the Jazz, and felt like it had less body roll, but it had less power though. I did have many probs with it though, luckly for warranty though, the Jazz i havent had an issue at all, and ive done 66000 kms in two years.

My advice, if she is serious about the two would be to go have alook at both cars somewhere, and test drive both.

ahcash
24-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Honda for me!!! I won't even go near Holden...

Philip Lee
24-01-2006, 09:48 AM
i came from a 2003 Barina SRI and now i have the Jazz VTIs CVT. and honestly i miss the SRI.

SRI is a much better car in all area except for built quality, interior space and fuel economy.

well u can't beat the japanese for built quality but still it's not too bad. the quality of plastic isn't as good as the jazz but nothing fell off on my car. and there is nothing to argue about space and economy but it's not a thristy car.

however in terms of driving experience, SRI is far superior. more powerful, slick gear shift and quick handling plus it looks good too with body kit and 16" alloys (post 03 cars) and lowered suspension.

i never had any problem with my SRI. servicing has been cheap but i didn't have her long enough for timing belt.

the only reason i sold it was for the baby. it's down to the usage i guess. if you don't need to carry loads and enjoy driving, i'd pick the SRI. otherwise go with the Jazz or Suzuki Swift.

and my fd recently bought a 30000km 2003 SRI for $14,000 and i think a similar condition Jazz VTIS would cost a bit more, which makes the SRI even more of a bargain.

btw the Barina SRI has been Motors Bang of your bucks under $30k champ for 2 years in a row (but didn't complete last year) + it was a former Wheels COTY. i guess it says something.....

Philip Lee
24-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Honda for me!!! I won't even go near Holden...

it is good that ppl have this preception. which means used cars price are cheap!

also i don't mine holden pricing for a geninue european car. i guess if it's selling here as an Opel, it will have to cost similar to VW/Pug.

_CiVIC_
24-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Tell her to get the Barina SRI... my gf just got one, I even enjoy driving it haha.. we had a look at the Jazz and it didn't really tickle our fancy, and I'm talking the VTi-S model too.. It looks too much like a granny mobile.. The Barina is slick and very responsive, and looks really nice on the inside and outside :)

muli
25-01-2006, 06:14 AM
on a private testing track barina sri in straight line i pull away but in corners it kicks ass but i got more straight line power.
The barina sri apparently isnt much faster than a astra. the barina and astra both do have less body roll which makes their handling a bit better. I got told the gearing in the barina sri was different than the astra.

Philip, im sure the manual gearbox in the jazz is even more slicker than the sri

i got told at a honda dealership in brissie that it was a $700 for 100,000kms cause the timing belt had to be changed and rang my local honda dealership at redland bay and they said $450 and that its chain driven

08ESE
25-01-2006, 06:40 AM
barinas ( just like astras ) are starting to show that they are just like their earlier relatives....

CAMIRAS!

08ESE
25-01-2006, 06:44 AM
Timing chains are generally easier to change too, does anyone know if the jazz's chain has a join?????

also why do people think euro cars are all that???????

they generally are less reliable than jap cars, especially in the electricals dept.

Philip Lee
25-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Philip, im sure the manual gearbox in the jazz is even more slicker than the sri

i have driven my friend's manual VTi and frankly the throw is longer and not as precise as the SRI but the reverse on the SRI is not smooth. it is always hard to engage (at least on mine).

JasonGilholme
25-01-2006, 01:38 PM
my one has the z14xe with a timing belt. I've driven many sri's cause i've got friends with them and they are very similar to mine. they have had a fair few problems with them as well. because the engine isn't built as good as a honda you will find that engine parts will be breakin early as well. I think my bearings in my motor are on the way out because of too much high revving.

As for gettin into revers in the barina try wackin it into first before you go into reverse. i always used to crunch it before one of the guys at the dealership at southport told me otherwise.

I got my car serviced at the dealership in robina. but i did get qouted 300 for it at oldfield holden in capalaba but i heard that they were a dodgey dealer.

anymore questions just ask bro.

jase

muli
25-01-2006, 05:53 PM
i have driven my friend's manual VTi and frankly the throw is longer and not as precise as the SRI but the reverse on the SRI is not smooth. it is always hard to engage (at least on mine).

isnt it exactly the same as the astra?

TypeG
25-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Jazz all the way
cant think a better choice with the same amount of money
never have a SINGLE problem at all after one and a half year drive AT ALL

25-01-2006, 06:25 PM
The barina is faster.

aaronng
25-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Overall, if you don't mind the problems, the high fuel consumption and theexcessive servicing costs, then go SRi. But overall, the Jazz VTi has more space, more reliable and a higher resale value. Plus, the Jazz looks better.

Maxx
25-01-2006, 11:30 PM
have u think of new Yaris (echo)?
friend went to jap for autosalon 06 and rent both Yaris and Jazz to drive around
he told me the Yaris is better

aaronng
26-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Japan only get the CVT Jazz. I'm sure the CVT would not feel as nippy as the manual. The Yaris looks nice. But a little too rounded for me. Looks even smaller than the Echo!

ahcash
26-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Jazz all the way
cant think a better choice with the same amount of money
never have a SINGLE problem at all after one and a half year drive AT ALL

and why are you selling it to get a CL9?? Have to ban you from coming in the Jazz section.. :D :D

The SRi does look good with bodykit and stuff.. I really don't know how reliable are they.. it can be a good car if it has been looked after well.. like phil. don't know.. never own a Holden before and never will ...

jonniedee
26-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Looks even smaller than the Echo!

Oh my Goodness are you right on the money! Just saw the Yaris 3 door at the North American Auto Show in detroit and it makes a Mini Cooper look huge. :rolleyes:

aimre
27-01-2006, 12:47 AM
inside, the yaris is larger than an echo, i drive both at work, but the echo does feel alot more zippy

aaronng
27-01-2006, 09:51 AM
I think it's the design, the cabin actually goes over the engine in the Yaris. The echo has a slightly longer nose than the yaris. More cabin space while making the outside look small. I like the Yaris tail! :)

08ESE
29-01-2006, 06:42 PM
drove an echo before i got my jazz, i felt like a trendsetting 20 year old woman driving it....... jazz isnt overly masculine, BUT echo is designed for chicks.

it also felt top heavy.

PaZzMaN-R
30-01-2006, 07:30 PM
heres my imput i would 110% go the jazz. i do not trust holdens, my sister and my friend both have barins sri's and i hate them!! especialy their electronic throttle ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! why the hell would they do that to a car???? anyways barinas go for nothing second hand compared to the jazz altho the jazz holds its value alot better. quality is alot better on the jazz too. will say the barina handels quite well was surprised power wise barina is not as much fun to drive but i think its quicker but the engine sounds nothing as good as the jazzes.

panda[cRx]
30-01-2006, 08:18 PM
buy a jazz man, the build quality is worth the few extra bucks

the jazz vti-s is a mad car for a run around/city/suburban driving

DOHCTR Coopz!
30-01-2006, 10:43 PM
jazz wins it.. hands down! jazz owns astra/barina anyday! astra/barina are both sooo poorly built.. it makes me sick!! i detail cars nearly everyay and have dealt with hundreds of them and i am seriously not impressed by them 1 bit.. new or old! they suck.. they're interiors suck!! they're exteriors suck!! from the plastic they use, the carpets on the floor, the fabric on the seats.. THEY SUCK BIGTIME!!!! i cringe when a customers bring them in!! i pity the fool (that buys astra/barina)!

Maxx
30-01-2006, 10:57 PM
read some euro car magazine a while ago and they compare new Astra with the "great" new golf.
surprisely the astra come very close after golf in most aspect, so they can't be really bad?

aaronng
30-01-2006, 11:31 PM
read some euro car magazine a while ago and they compare new Astra with the "great" new golf.
surprisely the astra come very close after golf in most aspect, so they can't be really bad?
You do know VW's track record on reliability right? Especially with regards to the Golf... ;)

Philip Lee
31-01-2006, 09:38 AM
jazz wins it.. hands down! jazz owns astra/barina anyday! astra/barina are both sooo poorly built.. it makes me sick!! i detail cars nearly everyay and have dealt with hundreds of them and i am seriously not impressed by them 1 bit.. new or old! they suck.. they're interiors suck!! they're exteriors suck!! from the plastic they use, the carpets on the floor, the fabric on the seats.. THEY SUCK BIGTIME!!!! i cringe when a customers bring them in!! i pity the fool (that buys astra/barina)!

you may have the experience but both my old XC Barina & mum's lasr gen Astra & my fd's current gn Astra have no rattle at all while the Jazz has rattle coming from both ends of the dash + driver's seatbelt and is driving me crazy..........

i second the material choice, that the older Opels aren't as nick as the Jazz (the new Astra is awesome but i guess is in a diff class to the Jazz) but as to built, i'm not so sure.

DOHCTR Coopz!
31-01-2006, 10:30 AM
ok i shouldnt have said all.. i mean 'maybe' 99.9999999X% of astras suck! bwuahahaha jk nuh what it really comes down to is how ppl treat their cars! honda owners in general seem to look after their cars more imo.. in general that is! and the great domestics from my experience seem to get more poorly treated & neglected from their owners.. in general and from my perspective! oh well different demographics = different values.. and yes i really dont like the material they use! :)

aaronng
31-01-2006, 10:31 AM
We'll have to look at rattles on a car by car basis if they are not new. You can only compare rattles in brand new cars. Because my gf's astra has a rattle in that plastic section where the information display is, where the plastic meets the trim.

SiR CRX
03-02-2006, 11:53 PM
These two reviews will help you a lot.

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1428/article.html

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1762/article.html