PDA

View Full Version : Pod Filter despite warm air

BrianC
23-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Hey all, I know alot of you have a pod on your engines, mainly the dohc vtecs by the looks of things. And i also know that alot of people advise against it due to the warm air being sucked into the engine; unless a heat shield is used.
My question is for those of you who have a pod installed without a heatshield, what are your experiences? ie: Less power/torque? Does it shorten the life of the engine?

Cheers :)
Brian

GreekWarrior
23-01-2006, 02:30 PM
It doesn't shorten the life of the engine but it does yield less power/torque because hot air is going into the engine.

spardikis
23-01-2006, 02:41 PM
yes and no, my ITR runs much harder with k&n pod rather than reg filter, vtec kicks more and top end runs better - via but dyno!!

Zimp13
23-01-2006, 04:06 PM
mine no heatshield still much better than oem filter.... heat shield doesnt do much help anyway...

jun
23-01-2006, 05:18 PM
well, i have apexi pod install on my ek4 with no heat shield, once i drive the car for few minutes, the engine bay and radiator get hot, and the pod suck in hot air, and i lose power ...

after that i made myself a heat shield (cost $10 material), after i drive it for a long time, i can feel the pod didn't sux in the hot air from the engine bay and radiator, but dun forget to get urself a cold air tunnel to fit from the front bumper hole to the pod (plastic one will do), it will brings outside cold air into ur heat shield box. that will keep ur pod have enough air to sux in ~

i have drive it for more than half hour (i rev a lot), i open the bonnet and touch the pod, its still cool ~ so, y dun u spend a bit of bucks to prevent losing power by sux in the hot air to ur pod :)

SKREMN
23-01-2006, 05:20 PM
I put in a heat shild and didnt notice much difference
but i did notice that in intake pipe wasnt as hot as it normally was so it does work
it isnt going to make a huge differance but

turtleEK1
23-01-2006, 06:16 PM
either having your engine breathing alot better than the stock box or sucking in abit of hot air which could be prevented as the last few guys have said...

having a pod is better, but then shielding it is even better!

BrianC
23-01-2006, 07:32 PM
I see. Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess snapping a pod on isn't such a bad idea after all. Ill also try to look further into creating a heat shield and a DIY cold air induction set up.

Cheers
Brian

KB
23-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Unless the heat shield seals the pod filter from the rest of the engine bay(like stock airboxs), ensuring it only sucks in air from outside, your all full of shit :) . Having a piece of crappy metal will do nothing. do you think it magically deflects all the hot air away? it sucks air from the engine bay!!!!! regardless of heatshield or not, the air is still sorced from the ebay. it just makes a small divert around your $20 bunnings job.

If you wanna make any gain, it has to be sealed, having an induction pipe dourcing air from outside into your sealed ebay compartment where your pod is located.

Man i hape supercheap and how they exploit ricers!!!

BrianC
23-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Yeah thats what i was thinking, sealing it off seems like a better idea then just a shield. Seems to be some conflicting opinions about whether thats necesary though. Ill probably just leave it stock for now. Ive been reading some posts from people that believe its faster with the stock box anyway?

Brian

jun
23-01-2006, 11:02 PM
i think i should send u my heat shield picture to c is it crappy or wat ... lolz
by the way, the heat shield box is to prevent the pod to sux in those hot air from engine and radiator and intercooler, ya, its ture the heat from engine and raditor will still heat up the metal shield, but if u have enough cold air goes in to the heat shield box, that will be no problem ... when the cold air goes ito the heatshield box, it goes straight in to the pod, the shield dun have enough time to heat the fresh air from outside ~

i m usimng 0.8mm aluminium board to make this shield, it's tough enough ( u can try 1mm, but its gonna be a bit hard to band it) and also u can use silicon to seal the edge of the shield will be perfect. i m planning to get some thing have heat resistance to cover the box (real carbon fiber sticker will be good) ... but hard to find ... hope my friend can get me some from hong kong :D

BrianC
23-01-2006, 11:06 PM
I see. Thats pretty interesting jun. You reckon u can take some pics of your heat shield set up for me? I'd really appreciate it. No rush, just whenever you can :)

Cheers :thumbsup:
Brian

jun
23-01-2006, 11:14 PM
no worries ~ it takes some time ... cox i need to borrow my gf's digital camera ~~~~~~~~ lolzzzzzzzz

SKREMN
24-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Here you can see in the bottem left corner
the pod is covered by a box and closes shut with the bonnet to create the seal
this is my temp setup untill i get a proper tuned length
I made the box out of fiberglass its moulded to the shape of the guard and then painted it black
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/skremnLS/motor.jpg

Zimp13
24-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Yeah thats what i was thinking, sealing it off seems like a better idea then just a shield. Seems to be some conflicting opinions about whether thats necesary though. Ill probably just leave it stock for now. Ive been reading some posts from people that believe its faster with the stock box anyway?

Brian

y dun u just get the $25 pod filter, keep ur oem piping and just chuck the filter on. find out urself. for $25 to know the answer thats not that bad at all i reckon. the air in the engine bay is hot, but in winter while u r driving the air comes in from outside circulating within the engine bay actually lower the heat temperature within it. its not as hot as u think when the car is moving. its a totally different thing in summer tho. normally in summer i just put back the oem box filter.

SiR JDM
25-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Here you can see in the bottem left corner
the pod is covered by a box and closes shut with the bonnet to create the seal
this is my temp setup untill i get a proper tuned length
I made the box out of fiberglass its moulded to the shape of the guard and then painted it black
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/skremnLS/motor.jpg

thats a top job mate :thumbsup:

jun
26-01-2006, 01:56 AM
i dunno how to upload the image ~ lolzzzzzzzzzz someone teach me plzzz