PDA

View Full Version : Best 4" Split

Usual Suspect
06-04-2004, 08:33 PM
Well alread im looking to start saving some money for some better splits in my car, i can offload my speakers i have atm to a mate aswell so it works out for me quite well. Im looking to keep to 4", ive seen 5"+ in my car and u can hardly wind down the windows, so im sticking to to 4" split system or some good 4" and good tweeters.

Im very interested in the Morel 4" as i have heard these are quite good. Others ive heard about are the a particular BA 4" split.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions plz feel free to suggest them.

Cheers,

Adrian.

Oh yeh, and i guess if im gonna be running some decent speakers ill need a front amp aswell which i have no clue about.

vti-2
06-04-2004, 09:03 PM
You can't go wrong with Morels. I love their sound. If you have heard a set before and liked the sound i don't think you will find a better brand out there. They have an awesome warm feel to them once they have been run in. They can bring out the best in any vocal recordings.

Others to look for assuming you have a decent budget is Hertz, Focal, Phoenix Gold, Infinity and Boston Acoustics. :)

With amps, again depending on the budget, you could look at Alpine, Pheonix Gold, Audison, JL Audio, Orion and the list goes on.

RiP CITA :~(
06-04-2004, 11:20 PM
i own a set of 4" Soundstream Spl's splits, there that good that i never needed to to put the tweeter in, but there hard to find

bigbuddha
07-04-2004, 06:09 AM
Yea Boston Acoustic speakers are a treat I got the Pro 5.5 myself

and Morel .. they are sweet also

couldn't go wrong with either ...

fozee
07-04-2004, 09:32 AM
You should check out the DLS (http://www.dls.se/english/index.htm) range of Amps and Spreakers.

I think the magnesium series have a fairly shallow mount.

If your looking for prices i can give you any details your after. ;)

vti-2
07-04-2004, 02:13 PM
DLS is nice too. :)

fozee
07-04-2004, 05:06 PM
My entire system is DLS aside from teh Clarion HU ;)

SIKCVC
07-04-2004, 11:10 PM
isn't a bit of a contradicion... good 4" splits :p go for 5s you'll regret not having a little bass up front.

vti-2
08-04-2004, 07:40 AM
Yeah, 4" splits are tiny and won't provide any bass at all. Maybe a tiny bit of midbass. I think Adrian's problem is due to the lack of space, especially with the window hitting the magnet on deeper splits.

Adrian - there are a few shallow mount 5-6" splits out there if you are interested?

Fhrx
08-04-2004, 08:50 AM
Depends on what style of music you listen too.

Boston's suit harder genres of music, Morel's suit softer genres of music.

Usual Suspect
08-04-2004, 03:17 PM
well i listen to everything, rock/heavy metal/techno/club/trance/rnb/dnb all of it.

As i have said before im not putting anything bigger than 4" in coz i will have troubles winding windows up and down. I cant fit 5" or 6" or anthing bigger than 4" so leave it out.

To counteract the loss of midbass in the front i was thinking 8" mid drivers in the back panels and a sub. How would this work?

Usual Suspect
08-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Adrian - there are a few shallow mount 5-6" splits out there if you are interested?

Just come back to check on something, and i didnt notic this the first time. Depending on how shallow, yes im interested. It's not that i love 4", id much prefer something bigger, but i dont want the pain of the windows and such.

Oh and forgot to mention im into SQ rather than SPL for the stuff, i want to eventually get into SQ comps, not this very instance but later this yr with a new system.

Fhrx
08-04-2004, 05:53 PM
well i listen to everything, rock/heavy metal/techno/club/trance/rnb/dnb all of it.

In that case I would stick with the Bostons. :)

To counteract the loss of midbass in the front i was thinking 8" mid drivers in the back panels and a sub. How would this work?

Not to well. I've heard a few systems where the midbass drivers were at the back and I have found that all it does is drag the entire stage backwards... :(

Usual Suspect
08-04-2004, 06:03 PM
righto, some guy on caa has a pair of boston 4" for 180, sent a pm and, but nothing back.

I might just keep the shitty 6x9's i have their now for rear fill. If i got the bostons, or a good pair of splits, would i need an amp to drive them, was thinking just a small 4 or 2 channel amp.

What would be a good 10" or 12" SQ sub?

euro77
08-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Hertz makes some shallow mount 6" splits

SIKCVC
08-04-2004, 11:13 PM
why not look at making or buying for F/G speeker pods. I just finished making a set for my rears just now... Look smeck! Easy to do to, not as much work as subs because they dont hold any sound just need to look neat. Let me know if your interested in making them and I'll be bothered to write it all up.

4thGenExi
09-04-2004, 07:34 PM
I cant believe you are happy to use a pair of 4s for your front stage. Get someone who's handy with fibreglass to make you some kick panel mounted pods - or better yet, a full door build out.

4 inch diameter cannot possibly produce adequate midbass. But hey everyones hearing is subjective.

Your call...

SIKCVC
10-04-2004, 12:55 AM
just make the F/G pods yourself... its a piece of piss.

Usual Suspect
10-04-2004, 02:29 PM
there is this thing called money which i dont have a lot off...

Would u leave of about dissing 4" ive heard it before and dont really care about it nemore...leave it for the thrid time.

SIKCVC
11-04-2004, 07:28 PM
how about pods for your 4" splits? cost you like $30 to make.

Usual Suspect
12-04-2004, 08:04 PM
whats the point of making pods for my 4" when they fit in the door?

Javed
12-04-2004, 08:53 PM
lol!

SIKCVC
13-04-2004, 01:38 AM
It was ment to be a joke... I was trying to push my point that you could have a decent front stage, but since you said stop talking about larger speakers I thought i'd mention how much it'd cost you while talking about 4" that way it would still hold relevance without bringing up the fact that i was actually pushing you to get larger speakers... Get it?

Never mind :P If your happy with 4" i'm sure someone will have a good brand, i personally have NO idea I only know for the larger speakers.

Good luck I'm sure it'll sound fine.

Fhrx
13-04-2004, 08:20 AM
You can get pre-made Pro-Pods from us for a relatively cheap outlay.

http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/fhrxstudios/images/propod_2.jpg

Usual Suspect
13-04-2004, 03:28 PM
again i would prefer to have larger speakers, preferably 5.25" or 6" in the front, mainly coz its a small car and i wont often have many people in the back if at all.

If i do get some pods or whateva and get some bigger speakers, how would a Blunkput 4x55rms, bridged into 2 channels do for driving front stage?

Are those pods universal? Hows it the pricing?

Im looking at getting a DLS W612 of CAA for $200, how does that sound?

Usual Suspect
13-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Oh and just let me apologize if i snapped at any point to any of you, dont take it personally, was having a bit of a shitty day when i wrote the message. Sorry.

I know people are just sharing there opinions, but there was some other things happening that were getting right up my back.

Sorry again.

4thGenExi
14-04-2004, 01:39 PM
All good :)

SIKCVC
14-04-2004, 01:48 PM
those pods look pretty nice, how much do they retail for?

fozee
14-04-2004, 03:20 PM
how would a Blunkput 4x55rms, bridged into 2 channels do for driving front stage?

That amp will do for the front stage. I had two in my last VTiR, one for bridged for a Blaupunkt 12" 1200 Overdrive DVC sub and one for my front stage bridged, Kicker 6.5" splits.
Ran very well. No problems at all. Depending on power rating of front splits.

Im looking at getting a DLS W612 off CAA for $200, how does that sound?

The DLS W612 are great subs. Two are being installed in my civic as we speak. Using a DLS CA21 and cap to run them. A relatively low power sub with great output for power, punches well with great response, but by no means a big, hard hitter. $200 is a bargain, i think they retail for $350+.
Id recommend looking for a WA612, i think that is the Dual Voice Coil W612.

PS im selling my Blaupunkt 4x55WRMS amp and 12" 1200 Overdrive DVC sub

Usual Suspect
15-04-2004, 09:57 PM
well the DLS sub got sold, but i probably wouldnt have had the money for a little while. Ah wells.