PDA

View Full Version : AfterMarket Seats...Must read!!

HondaLva
23-01-2006, 09:41 PM
NOTE: This article is written from a Queensland perspective, im not sure how other states operate is relation to this topic.

This may be handy for ppl who are unsure about the ADR bullshit that flys around about aftermarket seats....What i have learnt is that there is no such thing as an ADR Approved seat...There never has been...providing a seat is made to Australian Standards and is engineered in the car (w/ a modification plate) there is nothing a Police Officer or D.O.T Officer can do...Alternatively if a seat is FIA Approved that means it automatically meets Australian Standards.

For example even though a BRIDE Zeta is not ADR Approved but it is FIA Approved ie it meets Australian Standards, then if it is Engineered than it is completely legal to have the seat in the car. :)

This is not to say that an Engineer can't refuse to engineer a seat......hell know its there arse if you kill yourself so if they feel the seat isnt up to Aus Standards there well within there right to refuse Engineering Ceetification.

So what i would reccomend is find out if the seat is FIA Approved then if it meets Australian Standards. Call up the engineer and ask....dont go spending 1K on seats that arent gonna be legal anyways talk to the engineer and ask for there advice...

I hope this helps everyone as i believe there is a huge misunderstanding about the rules and regulations.

Please feel free too add to the thread guys im interested too see what you all think!! :D

LowEk
23-01-2006, 09:59 PM
nice work there mate excatly what ive been wanting to know.

Eclipsor
23-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Yep that is what I found when doing mine. I had to ring around to find an engineer that would do it. Others would just give me numbers for another one that they thought might do it until I finally got one. This enginner had his office next to a 4wd fabrication shop that he did a lot of work for so they basically knew what he expected. Seemed like a good way to do it.

The engineer also said that the police will want to see the actual mod certificate, that they don't care about the plate. Dunno if this is true as I havn't been questioned about it.

doriemon
25-01-2006, 08:49 PM
how much did the engineer thing cost u?
and where did u have it done?
i was looking to get that for my seat, but i couldnt find anyone that does the job

SPEEDCORE
25-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Alternatively if a seat is FIA Approved that means it automatically meets Australian Standards.

Good thread :thumbsup: though I'm not sure if I totally agree with this dude...... someone dig up the current ADR 3 and lets have a read.

Eclipsor
26-01-2006, 12:14 AM
how much did the engineer thing cost u?
and where did u have it done?
i was looking to get that for my seat, but i couldnt find anyone that does the job

The engineer cost about $120 I think. Can't remember. If you are in Brisabane and want the number send me a pm.

HondaLva
26-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Good thread :thumbsup: though I'm not sure if I totally agree with this dude...... someone dig up the current ADR 3 and lets have a read.

FIA Standards exceed Australia Design and safty standards so they are legal providing they are engineered :) >>> which means that the seat is slide ajustable etc etc

also...

I double checked it with Transport department today....they said that any aftermarket seat or seat is legal providing is does not effect any other safety devices within the car and has engineer certification...thats why sometimes they'll defect you if the shoulder bolsters cause damage to the factory seat belt.....

So in therory you could get a rocking chair approved....lol....but i dont think a engineer would engineer such a seat :)

honda_b_blastn
27-01-2006, 01:59 PM
The going rate around brisbane for a mod plate is between $80 to $150,also depends on the amount of mods you have..

HondaLva
27-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Heres something new.......i learnt today.....all seats put in a car MUST have an AS Number and an AS stamp in order to be legally engineered for use on the street....Engineers wont put them inlet alone engineer them for street use.....

Pat :)

01-03-2007, 12:16 PM
can anyone list some fia/adr approved seats that should be able to get engineered?

*ALL AUTOTECNICA SEATS ARE ADR APPROVED
according to their website

If a seat is adr approved is there need to get it engineered?

BlitZ
01-03-2007, 12:52 PM
u still need to get the brackets engineered...... i think

XB-16-AX
01-03-2007, 03:12 PM
any findings for NSW ruling?

muhhan
01-03-2007, 05:31 PM
I don't think it is so much the seat that is an issue but it is the rails/mounting hardware that is often a sticking point as these are often custom fabricated with no standards testing.

Btw, Australian Standards are often made so they are in line with international standards regardless of what piece of equipment it is (eg car parts, telephones, wheelchairs etc.)

tinkerbell
01-03-2007, 09:39 PM
can anyone list some fia/adr approved seats that should be able to get engineered?

*ALL AUTOTECNICA SEATS ARE ADR APPROVED
according to their website

If a seat is adr approved is there need to get it engineered?

see below

tinkerbell
01-03-2007, 09:49 PM
no government body tests seats to *approve* them,

the manufacturer can test them adn PROVE they comply with the standards, like Honda has to do before they are allowed to import a car, i.e. COMPLIANCE TESTING

to see if the car and all its safety features COMPLY with Australian Standards...

if Honda can prove it meets the Australian Design Rules (ADR's), then it is given compliance... and is considered "approved"

e.g. braided brake lines need to pass whip tests - which are designed by the Australian Depeartment of Road and Traffic Safety (DOTRS) - once they are proven to pass, these are considered "compliant" with the ADR's...

to call it "ADR Approved" without testing is a stretch of the truth...

if seats are labeled as "ADR Approved" ask for the testing certication...

tinkerbell
01-03-2007, 10:01 PM
http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/motor/design/index.aspx

Many ADRs are harmonised with the international Regulations adopted by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe.

The Third Edition ADRs were initially developed under the auspices of the Australian Transport Advisory Council between February 1983 and December 1986.

As initially published, the Third Edition was a combination of active Second Edition ADRs and existing essential "design and construction" requirements of the Consolidated Draft Regulations. It has since been added to and amended, to reflect the further needs of the community.

Development of the ADRs continues as part of a normal program of review and revision. The program includes monitoring international developments and involves regular consultation with the Department's key stakeholders to identify implementation issues or changes in factors affecting existing ADRs. Public comment on draft ADR amendments is an important part of the process.

The ADRs are also subject to a full review on a ten year cycle under the Australian Government's Business Review Agenda. This ensures that the ADRs remain relevant, cost effective and facilitate importation of safe vehicles and vehicle components.

http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/motor/design/adr_online.aspx

Australian Design Rule 3/03 - Seats and Seat Anchorages:

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/framelodgmentattachments/9EE514D8BD6CCF15CA25727F0083AA78

The function of this vehicle standard is to specify requirements for seats, their attachment assemblies, their installation and any head restraint fitted, to minimise the possibility of occupant injury due to forces acting on the seat as a result of vehicle impact.

kid_dynamite
01-03-2007, 10:12 PM
There is ADR Approved, and ADR Compliant. These are separate things.

Something that is ADR Approved, has been officially tested against Australian Standards and has passed the relevant criteria.

An ADR Compliant device is one which, although the manufacturer (or whoever) has determined that it will pass the ADR, but has not actually submitted the device for actual testing. However, it's a bit of a misnomer as there isn't an official term (it's not ADR approved, but the manufacturer believes it would pass if tested).

HondaLva: How sure are you about your claims? I know that whilst in terms of standards FIA > ADRs, I have never read anywhere that states that if it has FIA then it is ADR approved. Indeed, it would probably make more sense to say that if it has not gone through ADR testing to think of them as ADR 'compliant.'

Just as an example, JustJap have a range of aftermarket seats, which they have submitted for impact testing and as a result these are ADR approved, and copies of said evidence are available to purchasers.

Velo (a seat manufacturer) has a range of FIA approved seats, but note that they "also meet ADR approval making them suitable for cars that are also driven on public roads." They don't infer that because they are FIA approved they are ADR approved.

Finally, for all the people who have said there's no ADR for seats, the relevant ones are:
ADR 3/01 - Seat Anchorages
ADR 22/00 - Head Restraints

Cheers!

tinkerbell
01-03-2007, 10:14 PM
NB - the ADR only refers to:

UNIFORM PROVISIONS CONCERNING THE APPROVAL OF VEHICLES WITH REGARD TO THE SEATS, THEIR ANCHORAGES AND ANY HEAD RESTRAINTS

not the the approval of "aftermarket seats"...