PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty changing gears in S2k

big_red
23-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Recently purchased a 99 s2k and finding the gearbox to be abit notchy...
I mean I find it difficult changing from 1st to second and second to third at lower revs. But I've noticed if I rev abit higher (say 4k or above) gear changes are smoother? Not smooth as previous teggy type r.

Am I alone here? Can other s2k owners comment?
Also recently changed gearbox oil as well to redline lightweight shockproof. Helped abit but the stiffness is still there.

Thanks.

Kandy
23-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Just don't shift til after 4k! Sheesh it's an s2k!

lol sorry, couldn't help that one...

Q_ball
23-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Just don't shift til after 4k! Sheesh it's an s2k!

lol
either that or its the driver la...

big_red
24-01-2006, 07:28 AM
LOL ...

Have you guys tried to drive an s2k at peak hour in melbourne ? heheh

Anyone else?

.::F[L]Y::.
24-01-2006, 07:53 AM
LOL ...

Have you guys tried to drive an s2k at peak hour in melbourne ? heheh

Anyone else?

for smooth driving or shifting it is recommended that you shift between 3-4k, there have been times where i have shifted at 2k and the car jerks. Its just that way the car is. It loves to be revved

big_red
24-01-2006, 08:02 AM
I find it difficult to put it into second and third sometimes.

Quite often hear the clunking noise when it engages into second and third ..

Maybe cos I'm not used to it yet .. coming from a teg tye r where the gear changes are really smooth.

simond81
24-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Dont Worry about it! i was the same as u when i first got the car for a month or two but after when u get use to the car it's all good!!! it's just the way the car is!! :)

jenova
24-01-2006, 09:35 AM
time for new honda mtf

ECU-MAN
25-01-2006, 10:25 PM
try shifting slower,

hard to explain but as your put gentle pressure towards 2nd gear or from 2nd to 3rd, you will feal the gear suddenly want to engage.

toE
25-01-2006, 10:40 PM
I get that when I don't warm the car up.
After it's warmed up..it's all schweet.

Or maybe I'm just used to it already and don't notice it. :p

Malenic1981
27-01-2006, 02:19 AM
I don't shift my ITR under 3-3500rpm not to talk about S2K

big_red
27-01-2006, 07:33 AM
Thanks guys ...

I find it worse when trying to shift slower! :)

I think I just need to adjust to the s2k bix that's all..

Like I said, it's fine when you rev higher.

hondaboy
28-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Replace the gearbox fluid then see how it runs.

CONAN
01-02-2006, 07:11 PM
he has already dude

big_red
01-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Hehe good pickup CONAN

blusir2
16-02-2006, 03:29 PM
I mean I find it difficult changing from 1st to second and second to third at lower revs. But I've noticed if I rev abit higher (say 4k or above) gear changes are smoother? Not smooth as previous teggy type r.

Also recently changed gearbox oil as well to redline lightweight shockproof. Helped abit but the stiffness is still there.

Thanks.

U'll find that to be a problem with the older S2K's like our mate. I have a 2000 model and its the same as everyone has said. Our clutch plate also has to do with it If u didnt get the newer and revised one from the Honda Service Bulletin that will cause u to hear a noise from the box as u back off third gear. I sometimes have a gear stuck in for a little bit or not being able to get into first without puttin it in third first. These kinda things happen coz of many reasons like the gearbox fluid isnt up to temp yet, the previous driver was rough and has worn the selector fork and/or the synchro's and many other things. Your problem is pretty consistent with the rest of us. I know the newer S2K's dun have as many of these gearbox probs. U'll get use to it.
Just remember to change the fluids at the specified times like the clutch fluid and gear box fluid and it should keep it as smooth as it can be.
I also agree on the higher rev gear changes as when u have the revs too low the load on the box is more when u engage the clutch coz the car is heavy which will make it unsmooth and clunky. A quicker gear change or higher revs will fix that...

big_red
16-02-2006, 09:53 PM
blusir2 .. cheers mate
You're right ... it's harder to shift when she's cold but gets progressively better as the car warms up.

mj3610
16-02-2006, 11:07 PM
blusir2 .. cheers mate
You're right ... it's harder to shift when she's cold but gets progressively better as the car warms up.
u dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out bro, its just commonsense...

blusir2
16-02-2006, 11:57 PM
u dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out bro, its just commonsense...

mate thats where ur wrong. owned EG6 and regularly drove cars in and out of the workshop at closing time (more often pushed). Some gearboxes are just really smooth and some are just not. Really depends on who's been using and abusing them and the original design.

The S2K one is not as forgiving as the civics and ITR as its a rear wheel drive box and it wasn't made as well compared to the later S2K models. Found that out the hard way myself.

Jason
TODA Racing Australia

big_red
19-02-2006, 10:06 PM
mj3610 - very construrctive there ...

mate, how many s2k's have you driven ? Do you drive one on a daily bassis? Do you even own one?

Blusir - I agree .. the gearboxes in B16/18 are more forgiving than the s2k. Justy have to get used to them.

jdmTYPE R
20-02-2006, 09:32 PM

Thanks.

i was told with the s2000 gear box u need to use the honda gear box oil for the s2000 its like the type r gear box.wrong type of oil do affect the shifting to.

fatboyz39
20-02-2006, 09:51 PM
when its cold its really hard to shift into gears, feels like its crunching. When warm, shifting is smooth as.

blusir2
20-02-2006, 10:00 PM
hey fatboyz.. why is ur avatar a pick of suzuki pumping honda?? this is a Honda forum?? hahahaha... also its not possible coz as we all know Honda is legendary... but its heaps funny mate.. hahaha..