PDA

View Full Version : increasing compression

amato2
24-01-2006, 04:00 PM
what can i use that is quiet cost effective at increasing compression in a worn engine.

- i have tried wynn's worn engine treatment its helped a bit, but i thought there might be some that works alot better.

- its not my car it my mums CB accord that done 320,000km's

thankyou

sifoo
14-02-2006, 11:37 PM
wynn's wont increase your compression. A rebuild using a 1 or 2 layer gasket is a cheap fix but milling the head or high comp pistons will be a safer build.

wynn's is just rubbish in my opinion and should not be used in old engines. Reason being it is like a detergent breaking down carbon build up/sludge in your engine. Using this on an old engine may create more gaps and block parts of your motor. The build up in an old engine may be good to an extent that it helps 'patch up' parts of the engine.

So dont bother with the wynns

my 2c

Slow96GSR
15-02-2006, 12:06 AM
It's going to be cheaper and easier in the long run to do a rebuild and add the high compression pistons. New pistons cost the same whether you get stock, low/high compression, or over sized. Raising via the gasket works but doesn't add nearly enough to make much of a difference. There might also be under lying problems that you don't know about that a rebuild will fix. It also allows you to do other work on the car while the motor is out.

Shraka
15-02-2006, 09:05 AM
I don't think he's asking about upping compression for performance reasons. I think he's asking about returning compression to stock levels. In which case, a rebuild would help. It depends what the problem is though.

But if you are talking about upping the compression for performance... I'd ask... whynow? :S

bennjamin
15-02-2006, 11:40 AM
on such an old engine....perhaps it is running equal or HIGHER than stock compression due to carbon buildup etc lol ! REbuild is the way...make sure all clearances are in spec and then add thinner hg , higher comp pistons , shave the head etc

SPEEDCORE
15-02-2006, 11:48 AM
What numbers you getting across the cyls?

Weq
15-02-2006, 05:02 PM
yes, im gussing his got some worn rings or valve seals. first point of call is detecting what is letting compression drop, and then fixing it.

There is no 'special' treatment in a bottle that will help, sorry.

amato2
15-02-2006, 05:45 PM
thanx guys.....the car has been looked at by my meccahic and he says it needs to be rebuilt...so no we are in the look out for a new car........

MAYBE NEW CIVIC FOR US AT HOME LOOKING AT THE 2.0L SPORT MANUAL

Shraka
15-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Civic Type R! :D

spardikis
16-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Integra type R chck my listing haha

Weq
16-02-2006, 09:57 PM
sorry i'll correct myself. best thing u can do to decrease oil usage/increase compression is using a thicker oil.