PDA

View Full Version : is REDLINE shockproof too thick ?

kayot1k
25-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Hey fellas, wondering if redline shockproof the blue bottle was too thick for a high revving engines like Honda's.
i understand that honda engines like the thinner like oils for the engine as it would deliever a much better circulation whilst allowing the engine to revv with much better ease.

the question now is, is this the same for the gearboxes ?
like does thick oil actually affect the operation of the mechanics within the gearbox hence power delievery suffers ?

i was thinking about using the product REDLINE particuarly the shockproof type as it provides good protection and supports high speed down gear etc...
i think the stuff is like 90 - 130w ? something like that.

regards
steve :D

Slow96GSR
25-01-2006, 06:43 AM
The motor oil isn't Shockproof but it is in the blue bottle. The shockproof is for the gearbox... here! (http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?subcatID=20&prodID=61) Using the synthetic oil from Redline is fine. They have many different ratings so you can get your 5w30,10w30 and so on. The shockproof would not be the best thing to use a motor oil, but for the gear box can be great. I would still use the gear oil Honda recomends. I think this (http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?subcatID=18) is the type you would want to get for your gearbox if it is manual. If its ATF then get this (http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?pvID=76&prodID=59&subcatID=19). If you are really worried about using this you can call Redline (http://www.redlineoil.com/default.asp) directly or fill this (http://www.redlineoil.com/tech_requests.asp) out. When you are ready to order you can buy directly or if they won't ship to you let me know and I can have my guy get this out to you.

What they say about the Shockproof oils:
"A unique gear oil designed to lubricate racing transmissions and transaxles which see serious loads (not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions) . It has excellent low-temperature flow which allows easier shifting when cold. May be used to obtain maximum power transfer in racing differentials which do not see high temperatures. Similar to a 75W140 gear oil, but with the lower internal friction of an SAE 30 motor oil.

Used in two-stroke and four-stroke motocross transmissions (often mixed in equal parts with SuperLight ShockProof™ Gear Oil).

Used in most road-racing differentials with moderate power and dogring racing transaxles.

kayot1k
25-01-2006, 06:56 AM
i didnt actually mean redline for the motoroil , i was just using the engine oil "flow" as a comparison.

hmmm i see, i might stick to the standard honda gearoil.

25-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Lightweight shockproof works well in the Honda tranny's :thumbsup:

Slow96GSR
25-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Lightweight shockproof works well in the Honda tranny's :thumbsup:

Stock trany or moded?

26-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Redline is good for both std and modified, Motul GearFF is really good and so is the Castrol Syntrax.. :thumbsup:

Rice_banger
13-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Redline is good for both std and modified, Motul GearFF is really good and so is the Castrol Syntrax.. :thumbsup:

castrol syntrax as in the 75/90 ?

vinnY
13-06-2008, 02:12 PM
^ the same one
run it in my dc2r box and it works great :)

aaronng
13-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Keep in mind that Honda MTF is 75w80. So using Redline's thinnest shockproof is still 1 step thicker than specified at 75w90.

Limo
13-06-2008, 11:13 PM
yeh but if your syncros are rooted and honda MTF doesnt just doesnt work, you need something thicker

aaronng
13-06-2008, 11:21 PM
yeh but if your syncros are rooted and honda MTF doesnt just doesnt work, you need something thicker

Thicker oil doesn't solve the problem. It just masks it. You should replace the synchros if you can afford it and if you plan to keep your car long term. Otherwise, Redline superlight shockproof is fine.

Why do people like Redline lightweight? That is a 75w140 gear oil! They are meant to use superlight, which is 75w90.

EG30
14-06-2008, 03:59 PM
If you like Redline products, why not use its MTL? It's 70W80 and if their claims are to be believed its high temp protection is far superior to a mineral based 80 weight based oil ie 75w80 gearbox oil.

I tried the MTL on my EGsi's D series gearbox before the engine conversion and the cold shift quality is instantly better than b4, which you would expect being a lighter oil cold ie 70w90 vs 75w90. Not cheap oil at $3x per quart and you'll need a touch more than 2 quarts ie 2.1-2.2L.

I now have a ITR gearbox in my car and I was going to change to the MTL soon after the conversion. But so far I'm v happy with the VMX80 that is in the car I'll wait till I have a track event before I change it to MTL or the Castrol syn 75W/85.

Rice_banger
15-06-2008, 06:38 PM
ok this week i got exams im planning to change the gear box fluid

ive just found out i only have got 75/90 , and i can get in a few days time some 75/85, or anything on the shelf at supercheap auto

any suggestions on what to buy from supercheap auto

aaronng
15-06-2008, 06:45 PM
ok this week i got exams im planning to change the gear box fluid

ive just found out i only have got 75/90 , and i can get in a few days time some 75/85, or anything on the shelf at supercheap auto

any suggestions on what to buy from supercheap auto

If you really have to use the 75/90, then use it. Why do you buy from supercheap? You could get Honda MTF for only slightly more. ($30-35 for 2L)

Rice_banger
15-06-2008, 07:22 PM
If you really have to use the 75/90, then use it. Why do you buy from supercheap? You could get Honda MTF for only slightly more. ($30-35 for 2L)

i must buy from supercheaps due to i get it for free

EG30
15-06-2008, 07:43 PM
I'll try the Castrol SynTRANS which is 75w-85 which is widely avail from SCA, before I try the SynTRAX 75w-90.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_australia/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/s/Syntrans_B13127.pdf

designed for competition apps and suitable for trans where 80 viscosity is required

Rice_banger
15-06-2008, 08:01 PM
I'll try the Castrol SynTRANS which is 75w-85 which is widely avail from SCA, before I try the SynTRAX 75w-90.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_australia/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/s/Syntrans_B13127.pdf

designed for competition apps and suitable for trans where 80 viscosity is required

so syntransM and syntrans 75/85 is the same ?

due to i saw anther castrol bottle at super crap auto but it didnt say the veloicty i think that mite be the one

aaronng
15-06-2008, 08:19 PM
^^ nice one.

Rice_banger
15-06-2008, 08:25 PM
i just read the technical data sheet on the fluid i got which is syntrax it says it can be used in app;lications which require 75/80

looks like next week il be doing my gear box fluid

thanks for all the help guys

aaronng
15-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Of course they say it can! Castrol even says that their auto trans fluid can be used in Holden Astra, which require specific GM ATF.

JohnL
16-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Honda reccommends a rather thin oil for their gearboxes, as can be inferred from Honda MTF being retro reccommended for their boxes that originally specified a 10W/30 engine oil. Thin oil works fine for many gearboxes, some being quite happy with ATF.

Most people assume that a gear oil with say a 90 weight would be very much thicker than a 30 weight motor oil, but just to be contrary the lubricant industry rates motor oils and gear oils on different scales that confusingly use the same numbers to denote viscosity.

So, a hypothetical motor oil with say a 90 rating would be very much thicker than a gear oil with the apparent same 90 rating. Gear oils aren't nearly as thick relative to motor oils as you might expect from the number rating on the bottle, i.e. a motor oil of X actual viscosity will have a significantly lower numerical viscosity number than a gear oil with X actual viscosity.

aaronng
16-06-2008, 09:24 AM
That's why they have different nomenclature. For engine oil, it is 10w-30, while for gear oil, the equivalent is 75w80. One has a dash and the other doesn't.

Limbo
16-06-2008, 11:11 AM
hmmmm pouring FEO into gearbox you reckon arrong?

aaronng
16-06-2008, 11:26 AM
hmmmm pouring FEO into gearbox you reckon arrong?

That's what Honda used to recommend before they sold Honda MTF. Use MTF, it's better anyway.

Limbo
16-06-2008, 11:32 AM
just a though, i still got 6 bottles to use ;)

aaronng
16-06-2008, 11:50 AM
just a though, i still got 6 bottles to use ;)

Use engine oil for your engine. Gearbox should have MTF unless you dislike your synchros.

Limbo
16-06-2008, 02:11 PM
you misunderstand i got 6 bottles of the MTF that i still have to finish

aaronng
16-06-2008, 02:13 PM
you misunderstand i got 6 bottles of the MTF that i still have to finish

LOL ahhh.. I thought you had too much engine oil. LOL

Limbo
16-06-2008, 02:55 PM
nah i been pouring the honda oil in the toyotas LOL

Did a bulk buy on oils

Rice_banger
17-06-2008, 12:12 AM
just changed my gear box fluid with the castrol 75/90 , it seems a bit smoother

quick question , i drained her put new washer , then put plug back on as usual , then i got a piece of garden hose and put 2.4L in then put car back on level ground , fluid pissed out then once it stoped pissing out i put the plug back on , so i got about 1.8L inside , is that about rite ?

SeverAMV
17-06-2008, 01:23 AM
redline superlight shockproof gear oil seems to work best in honda trannys as its thinner than the lightweight shockproof stuff. but its best to stick with the mtf or honda stuff, i rang up redline, and they said not to use their shockproof range on honda transmissions as it has corroded the synchros in their tests, so yeah.

JohnL
17-06-2008, 08:09 AM
That's why they have different nomenclature. For engine oil, it is 10w-30, while for gear oil, the equivalent is 75w80. One has a dash and the other doesn't.

That dash doesn't really make it particularly clear that the viscosity ratings differ between engine and gear oils. Most people could be forgiven for assuming that (judging by the numbers on the bottles) gear oils are VERY much thicker than engine oils, which isn't necessarily the case.

Rice_banger
17-06-2008, 07:28 PM
since on the topic of car maintaince

im wondering is it possible to be able to adjust the clutch / cleance on an EK1

due to i was hoonng around with a appercntaice mechanic and he said see when u shift from 1st at 55km to 2nd it bogs down im like ya he goes its ur clutch needing adjustment/ worn out , is this true ?

aaronng
17-06-2008, 08:11 PM
since on the topic of car maintaince

im wondering is it possible to be able to adjust the clutch / cleance on an EK1

due to i was hoonng around with a appercntaice mechanic and he said see when u shift from 1st at 55km to 2nd it bogs down im like ya he goes its ur clutch needing adjustment/ worn out , is this true ?

Not true. Don't believe him. If it doesn't bog down and your RPM stays at redline when you shift into 2nd without breaking tyre traction, then the clutch is worn.

Rice_banger
17-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Not true. Don't believe him. If it doesn't bog down and your RPM stays at redline when you shift into 2nd without breaking tyre traction, then the clutch is worn.

dont under stand sorry , when i shift into 2nd quickly it bogs for a split second and kinda of wants to chirp , but then again ive got bold tyres + only a stock as rock D16Y4 and on 195's

im not sure but then again im noob at manual

plus my clutch fluid looks a bit black would that contribute ?

STiR
27-06-2008, 12:38 AM
I would recommend against against the use of redline shockproof stuff. Has a high lead content as far as i know. Was the rage with WRX gearboxes, but people soon realized there is no substitute for quality. Motul gear oils are excellent if you push your car. Otherwise known brands such as castrol etc. will suffice, or just stick with honda fluids.