PDA

View Full Version : B18C After Market Pistons

b18cfreak
25-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Hey guys, what is a good piston that will suit a stock b18c, all that i'm doing to this stock engine is getting pistons, i'm not heaps fussy about performance but a little higher compression couldn't hurt ;) I want good solid reliable pistons that will give a bit more oomph than standard.. What say u? :D

25-01-2006, 11:24 AM
If the engine is remain NA and fairly std i'd suggest just running the B18C Type R Pistons for a bit more comp.. cheap and reliable :thumbsup:

ekslut
25-01-2006, 11:53 AM
If the engine is remain NA and fairly std i'd suggest just running the B18C Type R Pistons for a bit more comp.. cheap and reliable :thumbsup:

Agreed, stick to the OEM pistons if your staying stock internals. Less hassle and more reliable. DC2 Integra Type R pistons are perfect, they will bump up compression a bit and should be fine with the standard internals.

+ 1 PQ point for you Online :thumbsup:

b18cfreak
25-01-2006, 12:20 PM
:) sweet thx guys

ProECU
25-01-2006, 12:29 PM
i'd also consider a thinner head gasket since your going to that trouble.
Perhaps even deck the head slightly, but remember to check piston to quench clearance (with the high cam enabled)

ekslut
25-01-2006, 01:17 PM
i'd also consider a thinner head gasket since your going to that trouble.
Perhaps even deck the head slightly, but remember to check piston to quench clearance (with the high cam enabled)

True, while the head is off and you are changing pistons, get a thinner head gasket (eg. Toda, Spoon, Mugen, etc..). This will bump up your compression a bit more too.

And +1 PQ point for you too ProECU :thumbsup:

ProECU
25-01-2006, 01:21 PM
It's not necessary to remove the head to replace the pistons

+1 PQ to me

ekslut
25-01-2006, 01:25 PM
It's not necessary to remove the head to replace the pistons

+1 PQ to me

It's not? oh well, you learn something new every day. How do you get to them then?

The only way I could think of would be to come from the bottom, which to me sounds harder and messier.

If you were just changing pistons, which way would be best?

ProECU
25-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Drop the sump, drop the crank.

Precedure is in the Honda manual I believe.

25-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Drop the sump, drop the crank.

Precedure is in the Honda manual I believe.

what the???????? we have houdini in the house hehe.. It would be physically impossible to drop a piston down through the bottom of the engine.. there is a nice big step on the bottom of the cylinder where the bearings are housed! oh and another thing, You also wouldn't be able to hone the block when putting the pistons in..

Slow96GSR
25-01-2006, 03:34 PM
I was going to say!! You can't put the pistons in from the bottom. I wanted to but there's no clearance for the ring compressor! Also make sure to check bearings and clearances. I can't emphasize this enough. Also remember to check the stroke, a lot of people don't bother and then they wonder why things break or they have little/no compression. Basicly check the specs, measure twice! The Type-R will add .5 to the C/R and take you from a 10:1 to a 10.5:1. Then a gasket can add to that. If you are looking for about an 11:1+ then I’d do it with a CP or JE piston and that will cost about the same as a new ITR/CTR piston set. $450.00-$550.00 USD is average.

ProECU
25-01-2006, 03:42 PM
what the???????? we have houdini in the house hehe.. It would be physically impossible to drop a piston down through the bottom of the engine.. there is a nice big step on the bottom of the cylinder where the bearings are housed! oh and another thing, You also wouldn't be able to hone the block when putting the pistons in..

hehe, yeah good point. (-1 RP for me)
I thought it was a logical progression from the replacement of bearings in this way. I've obviosuly never done it.
True on the honing, however, how many people here hone the block to install new pistons? i'd guess at not many.

Slow96GSR
25-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Well I always check. It really depends on how the cylinder looks and what the clearances are. If it needs it then yes I hone it but if it's still good, not a lot of wear and the pistons aren't going to be bigger then no I don't. It saves time and money. I'd say 75% of the motors we build get honed and 25% aren't full rebuild, just a freshen up like new bearings and a cleaning/check up. We also measure EVERYTHING!! As I said earlier I can’t put enough emphasis on that!

25-01-2006, 06:10 PM
hehe, yeah good point. (-1 RP for me)
I thought it was a logical progression from the replacement of bearings in this way. I've obviosuly never done it.
True on the honing, however, how many people here hone the block to install new pistons? i'd guess at not many.

Evan your too funny hehe, yeah not many would hone, how many would know how to assemble a engine properly anyways..

ProECU
25-01-2006, 06:22 PM
well obviously not you guys, u'd have been in the 7 seconds by now if you did. (just jokes)

True, I still believe the Aussie market is still a long way behind the USA in terms of know how.
It's just a function of population. I guess we'll get there as we get older.

Slow96GSR
25-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Here's how I put it to people here... The Japanese are 10 years ahead of the U.S. manufactures but the Motor Cycle manufactures are 10 years ahead of the Japanese. When you can get 150+hp out of a 2 cylinder motor and get great gas mileage you know you're doing something right.

The reason we here in the U.S. are ahead of you in aftermarket parts and technology with building is exactly due to population. Most cars here have at least 1 mod whether it's performance or stereo, rims or turbo. You also have a hard time getting the tools and machining equipment. A fulley equiped Sunnen honer will run 250k+ and about 2-3k to ship. Then there's the oil to keep the shavings from fling all over and that's 500? a barrel then shipping that! I bet in 5 years you all will be where we are at. It's not a overnight thing that's going to happen! Hell just in my town there are a dozen places who build motors, 2-3 are good. In the state there are 30-40 and 5-6 are good, most are just small mom and pop shops that don't do it all.