PDA

View Full Version : Accord Euro tweeters

bigbuddha
07-04-2004, 06:27 AM
Can anyone tell me the size of the factory mounted tweeters in the dash

and how in hell do u actually get to them ... so I can swap them out

euro77
07-04-2004, 10:33 PM
I don't remember exactly, I think up to 4 cm in diameter.
Mine's already kept inside the box tucked in the corner of the cupboard, I'm too lazy to dig it up :D

I'm pretty sure you can just pop out the cover of the tweeter (on the dash)

euro77
07-04-2004, 10:41 PM
actually, found a pic on my PC on the stock speaker & tweeter.

as you can see.. the tweeter is almost the same size as the speaker's magnet

http://home.iprimus.com.au/winarto/Images/Stock.jpg

bigbuddha
07-04-2004, 11:36 PM
Thanx buddy ... ur always a great help ..

Fhrx
08-04-2004, 08:52 AM
In Accord Euro's we usually just leave the stock tweeters where they are and build tweeter bridges into the kick panels for better staging. :D

bigbuddha
08-04-2004, 12:39 PM
ahh .. ok .. cause i was thinking of placing the boston tweeters in the little plastic triangle piece in the corner of the door windows ... they are easily removable and easily replaced if need be ... waddya reckon Fhrx in terms of staging ... is that too much distance between the tweet and the midwoofer

.. i'd angle the tweet slightly towards the driver and passenger ... facing inwards basically so the sound would meet somewhere in the middle...

Fhrx
08-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Well lets look at this staging caper a little closer. You don’t go to a concert and sit with your back towards the band right? And admit it – we’d all like to be right in front and center of the band on stage true? And you’d also like to be at the right height to – like you were on the actual stage right in front of them listening. This is the imaginary image we try and capture inside cars today when we position tweeters in vehicles.

And getting this is not just a simple matter of slapping them in just anywhere either.

The problem with mounting tweeters up high (e.g. on the sail area on the door) is this:

Think about the position of your ears in relation to the tweeters. One speaker is belting the high pitch tunes out about two feet from your right ear where as the left tweeter is triple that distance away. The stage has no choice but to be right out the right window. Sheer laws of physics govern this fact.

Now if you place the tweeters down in the kick panels then the right speaker distance is about three feet and the left speaker is about three and a half. The problem is not eradicated but it becomes a lot less noticeable as the distance separation is reduced.

Now obviously the tweeters cannot be placed anywhere where they fire straight into ones feet so you have to be very careful about their placement on both sides and the more often than not this results in them being mounted very high in the kick panel, quite often out of sight like mine are because they’re so far up under the dash.

The next question people ask is this; isn’t the stage going to be low?

The answer is nothing to do with the tweeter location but the power level they both receive. If you have sufficient power going to each tweeter from a high quality amplifier then your tweeters will not only fill out the stage ‘height’ but the entire front cabin of the car.

And someone is bound to mention time alignment – they always do.

The biggest problem with time alignment is this; the better you make your side sound (and you can get it absolutely perfect), the more your passenger suffers. Think about it – it time delays the right side speaker so both signal paths reach your ears at the same time. The problem is that the passenger has the reverse problem to you so as you side gets closer to being the same side to side, theirs get worse and worse.

So how does one get the stage right in real world terms?

At the end of the day you just have to play around a bit (and sometimes it can take up to four hours or so) to get the tweeter placement just right to achieve a nice stage ‘width’ , ‘height’ and ‘depth’.

Get yourself a nice big blob of blue-tac. Stick the tweeter onto a panel somewhere and grab a song with powerful female vocals (a strong female voice is generally considered best for stage testing). Close your eyes and imagine you’re at the concert. Now listen to where she is coming from. Is she singing right in front of you? Is she off to the left a tad or right? Simple move the tweeter a few inches in a direction and have another listen. How is the image? Can you hear where all the band members are exactly? How is the depth? Does the drummer sound like he is behind the other musicians?

Keep doing this until you get the image dead center or just off to the left a little bit but remember to take a rest every fifteen minutes to let your ears normalize. If you attempt staging for hours your ears tend to ‘hallucinate’ and give false readings.

So there you go, I hope all that made sense.

euro77
08-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Yes, I found the staging is not so good with the tweeter in the dash.
You can hardly hear the left tweeter from the driver's side unless it is time aligned :(
But if you time aligned it, your passenger(s) will suffer :(

bigbuddha
08-04-2004, 11:30 PM
ahh FHRX and Euro77 thanx once again for the great help and advice ...

can't wait to get mah HU and stacker in ...