PDA

View Full Version : car smoking

michael_antoi
26-01-2006, 03:59 PM
got my engine conversion the car starts and runs without stalling now.

the idle is really funny but i'll get onto that later.

first things first - the engine runs but after about 20 seconds it starts to smoke.

smoke seems to be coming from inside the block.

coolant is full

oil is also at the optimum level (although really black).

why is it smoking?
water pump is new also.

VT3C
26-01-2006, 04:03 PM
change your oil bro !!! esp if u just disd a swap !! if your motor been sitting in a wrecking yard or workshop for an extended period of time AND IS BLACK.. that means time to change the oil NOW !!

michael_antoi
26-01-2006, 04:04 PM
oil has been changed but has gone black since the change.

i will change it but is this the reason it is smoking?

bennjamin
26-01-2006, 04:57 PM
what colour smoke and at what RPM useage ? (idle or load or WOT etc) ?

ACTUALLY it might be a gasket leak somewhere methinks - either the exhuast manifold gasket isnt tight enough or the 2-1 section to cat isnto tight ( or both need replacement) Tighten up all 9 ( ?) 12mm nuts on the head-exhaust manifold and check the 4-2 section and 2-1 section too

iamhappy46
26-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Yeah, time for an oil change already...
Oil + Filter

michael_antoi
26-01-2006, 05:00 PM
change already hey?

just changed the filter. will it be totally necessary?

i will change the oil

how much oil do i need to fill it with again?

the smoke is white

so the oil is causing the smoke?

why is this?

smoking at Idle Ben.

iamhappy46
26-01-2006, 05:13 PM
The filter should be fine but at under $10 it is worthwhile...

3.3L and then check the dipstick, top up as required

I am also suspecting the IACV is playing up in conjunction with the TPS.

Slow96GSR
26-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Is this a freshly built motor... new/used internals that required you to oil the inside when assembling? Basically after you put new parts in, the motor it will smoke for a bit until the rings seat a little bit. Also assembly lube in the cylinder will smoke too. The oil can work it's way up into the cylinder until the rings are seated.

michael_antoi
26-01-2006, 05:43 PM
nah it's a completely stock engine

i will empty the oil out tho

bennjamin
26-01-2006, 09:30 PM
check what i said too -

ACTUALLY it might be a gasket leak somewhere methinks - either the exhuast manifold gasket isnt tight enough or the 2-1 section to cat isnto tight ( or both need replacement) Tighten up all 9 ( ?) 12mm nuts on the head-exhaust manifold and check the 4-2 section and 2-1 section too

happened when i reinstalled a new engine into my EG last time - smoke acutally coimign fromt he engine bay and ended up beign a loose gasket.

[[d a n n y]]
27-01-2006, 07:18 AM
check what i said too -

happened when i reinstalled a new engine into my EG last time - smoke acutally coimign fromt he engine bay and ended up beign a loose gasket.

and we thought omg the engines gonna blow.

lol

RMN15N
16-03-2006, 07:19 AM
benny.. help us out here..i park my car on a steep hill to prevent dickheads from stealing it etc. and this morning my ****n brother started the car and let it warm on the hill now its smoking a blueish white color and it smells .. whats do you reckon it is?
is the motor ****d.. ?

bennjamin
16-03-2006, 09:42 AM
benny.. help us out here..i park my car on a steep hill to prevent dickheads from stealing it etc. and this morning my ****n brother started the car and let it warm on the hill now its smoking a blueish white color and it smells .. whats do you reckon it is?
is the motor ****d.. ?

oil in the combustion mix...likely from worn valve stem seals (overnight , oil leaks down thru the seals and into the combustion chamber)
Motor isnt fecked ~ try replacing those first.

todaek9
16-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Check if there is any leakage of oil...
may be some oil are out when your car is in the work shop and they never clean it properly..and when somewhere is heated, smokes come out...

if that is not the case, may be there is leakage in between your exhaust...

if not again, what colour is the smoke? white or blue?

RMN15N
16-03-2006, 01:15 PM
so its the valve stem seals? but warming ur car on a hill wouldnt that feck it up cause one side of the engine doesnt have lubrication?

the color is whitish bluey