PDA

View Full Version : honda mtf

jdm.R1
27-01-2006, 12:31 AM
hey guys:wave:

just took my beloved dc2R in for a 80k km's service at my local mechanics today, i didn't want non genuine parts, so i went to honda and bought all the nessarly parts, oil filter, fuel filter, coolant, brake fluid, engine oil and manual tran fluid.

neways... when i went to pick up the car, i noticed that that the 3 bottles of mtf which i have bought havn't been used. so i asked him? why didn't you use the mtf i supplied? he says he didn't change the transmission oil coz my car has lsd, and being a front wheel drive da lsd is linked with the gearbox and that i should get lsd oil for my gearbox.

i belive the lsd and gearbox are 2 seperate items right? if i changed the gearbox oil to mtf, it shouldnt affect the lsd right? and i should get lsd oil for the lsd???

wot should i do??plz help!!!

|N|
27-01-2006, 12:41 AM
i didnt know they r linked together

jdm.R1
27-01-2006, 12:49 AM
^^^neither did i. quite confused about what the mechanics said. just read the owners manual n it never had anthing in there regarding lsd and lsd oil. book actually says to change transmission fluid to mtf.

barefootbonzai
27-01-2006, 12:52 AM
your lsd is in your gearbox. so your mechanic should have used the mtf in the gearbox.

SiR JDM
27-01-2006, 12:57 AM
Your LSD is inside the gearbox.

Thats why there is the general check that when you take out the drive shafts, if you can see all the way through the gearbox then there is no LSD, if you cant see all the way through, it is LSD equipped.

The Honda MTF afaik is fine for any OEM LSD gearbox applicaion.

jdm.R1
27-01-2006, 01:00 AM
your lsd is in your gearbox. so your mechanic should have used the mtf in the gearbox.

^^that's was what i thought. if it was nessarly to change the lsd oil, the owner's manual would've stated it.

i fink he is confused with how ff and fr lsd's work.

pillow
27-01-2006, 01:12 AM
Your LSD is inside the gearbox.

Thats why there is the general check that when you take out the drive shafts, if you can see all the way through the gearbox then there is no LSD, if you cant see all the way through, it is LSD equipped.

The Honda MTF afaik is fine for any OEM LSD gearbox applicaion.

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around James, if you CAN see through = LSD, CAN'T see through (small bar in the way) = NO LSD

:)

naf
27-01-2006, 10:01 AM
i have been using honda mtf in my dc2r
no problems here :)

barefootbonzai
27-01-2006, 11:33 AM
heheh yeah pillow is right.

SiR JDM
27-01-2006, 11:44 AM
:P my bad it was late...but now im confused after seeing this pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/digita1dragon/lsd.jpg

either way the point of me sayin that was to show that the LSD is in the gbox... whether or not you can see it :p

VT3C
27-01-2006, 12:35 PM
gee !! dont go back to THAT dealership !!

barefootbonzai
27-01-2006, 01:18 PM
:P my bad it was late...but now im confused after seeing this pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/digita1dragon/lsd.jpg

either way the point of me sayin that was to show that the LSD is in the gbox... whether or not you can see it :p

hehehe, the one with the lsd still has the driveshaft in it, while the other one doesn't. So without the driveshaft you would see right on through unlike the one on the right.

bennjamin
27-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Ofcourse the differential is inside the gearbox. Its the "final gear" that applies the drive to the driveshafts :)
the ITR diff is a torsen item so mechanical - just use MTF all thru.

IF it was a viscous type unit then yes , you would have ot use seperate fluid for the LSD too.