PDA

View Full Version : bad idle after cleaning IACV

Dxs
29-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Hey i followed the guide about cleaning the IACV. Basically removed it from the manifold and sprayed a **** load of throttlebody cleaner into it and let it dry for a couple of hours.. ended up fairly clean..

i run the car for a few mins and the problem now is that the idle drops really low and just picks up to not stall.. like down then up to not stall then down etc etc..

just wondering if cleaning it affects the idle settings.. if so do i need to raise them.. the car is cold as well when this happens
ideas

i have a b16a1 in a ef8 crx

MoDCoN
29-01-2006, 05:04 PM
just how low is it idling? do you have a manual for your car? i have a copy of it... :) (actually i dont think it includes the SiR/b16a1... hmmmm)

iamhappy46
29-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Did you reset the ECU??

Slow96GSR
29-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Takes the IACV and ECU time to relearn settings.

EuroDude
29-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Try cleaning the throttle body

ECU-MAN
29-01-2006, 09:03 PM
also try cleaning the FITV

Dxs
29-01-2006, 10:25 PM
thanks guys..
i have already kinda cleaned the throttle body..

so most likely i will need to reset the ecu.. do i do this but just removing the ground cable off the battery for a while?

then what, just start it up and leave it to reconfigure itself? how long approx

it should rev high until warm then rev at 800ish rpm.. if it is then too high or low how do i adjust the idle?

also i have read that the FITV is the fast idle thermo valve.. where is this exactly and what is its purpose.

cheers

BlitZ
29-01-2006, 10:38 PM
similar thing happen to me.. my car wouldnt even hold idle, regardless of how much i adjusted idle i couldnt get the car to hold idle..

4 hours later.. i reved the ****er......... revved it nice.. it then idled fine

EuroDude
30-01-2006, 08:21 AM
The FITV wouldn't lower the idle revs, rather it would increase it. My car was idling at 3000RPM then I screwed the white FITV knob thing back in and the idle dropped back to normal. But anyway, screw it in and see how you go.

The FITV is under the Air Intake with three 12mm bolts under it. Its showen in blue in this pic: http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/3387/throt19ck.jpg

When you cleaned in throttle body, did you also spray into the piping going through to the sides? Maybe the idle bypass pipe is clogged. This would explain the idle difficulties at low revs.

Or maybe when you cleaned the TB, alot of gunk made its way into other areas of the throttle body causing excess buildup.

i have already kinda cleaned the throttle body..
I would give the TB another good clean.

ps. When I cleaned the TB, FITV, and IACV, I didnt need to reset the ECU. It idled normally straight away.

Dxs
30-01-2006, 10:05 AM
thanks for that eurodude,
i cleaned the TB a few weeks back.. only the IACV i did yesterday
i reset the ecu and see how i go

Dxs
30-01-2006, 11:10 AM
reset the ecu and started her up.. seems to be all fine now..

maybe touching the accelerator the first time affected the settings

shmivic
30-01-2006, 11:57 AM
when you adjust the fitv do you mean the plastic body inside? for low idle should the plastic body be wound in or out

EuroDude
30-01-2006, 12:01 PM
yes the white plastic thing. Just screw it all the way in (clockwise).

http://www.emotors.ca/Articles/97.aspx

bennjamin
30-01-2006, 10:33 PM
reset the ecu and started her up.. seems to be all fine now..

maybe touching the accelerator the first time affected the settings

from what i can tell its important to NOT touch the accel. or drive erractically etc just after resetting the ECU ~ it seems to really knock about the engines runnign for quite awhile

Dxs
31-01-2006, 09:37 AM
that indeed seemed to be the case ben..
maybe you should ad that point to your DIY