PDA

View Full Version : tacho/el gauge drama

AZ51LK
29-01-2006, 04:52 PM
hi all

i recently installed el gauges over my factory ones in my civic.

before i installed them, the pin on the tacho was just grand. after i slid the el gauges over it though, the pin seems to 'studder' on the lower revs and only smooths out when it hits 4,500rpm.

the other guages [speedo, petrol & temp] are fine. it's obvious it's got something to do with the installation. but i dont know what it could be.

i've uploaded a video http://www.youtube.com/?v=yEn85emI_uU of the revs on low range. ...towards the end i gave it a bit for you VTEC dickheads out there. it's a SOHC so probably doesnt sound as glorious as DOHC but still floats my boat.

thanks again for ur help :wave:

ECU-MAN
29-01-2006, 08:56 PM
looks like the bopin, as I call it is sticking, this it the shaft that the needle is on and that turns.

pull your cluster apart and by hand move the neadle gently, you should be able to feal the neelde catch, you may have to pull the needle up a bit, or the whole shaft up a bit.

chances are you pushed it in a bit as you put the dial on.

caution though, if you get it wrong, it will go from bad to wors

dc4t
29-01-2006, 09:57 PM
wen i had mine i found the actual face wasnt centered properly over the needle. the edge of that hole that goes around the base of the needle was like pushed up against one side. just move it around so its centered

EuroDude
29-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Mine did the same thing, but it eventually got better after a few months. Now it rarely does it.

Just let it wear in for a while and see how that goes. You could dab a bit of oil on the pin in the meantime.