PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out?!?!

wynode
07-04-2004, 09:28 PM
I've had my system in for quite awhile now (over 8-10months) but just in the last week i've noticed that if I turn the volume UP (ie pumping the music) it seems to cut out on the beats and then comes back again. Obviously this isn't good so i dont turn up the music anymore.

TO me it sounds like a power problem and I am thinking its most probably the battery because I can turn it up more with the car running than I can with the car not running. I've never had a capacitor all this time so could it be the battery?

BTW the cables are thick enough and I am running 2 amps, 1 sub, splits and rear 3 ways.

Thanks!

euro77
07-04-2004, 10:39 PM
considering you are running 2 amps, it could be battery problem. Capacitor is just a band aid, so I don't recommend it.

Then again, do you usually have the volume turned up that loud? :D

Javed
07-04-2004, 10:41 PM
sounds definitely liek voltage drop issues, most likely due to the battery, or the alternator not charging it.

wynode
07-04-2004, 10:45 PM
Yup i've had the volume turned up much higher than that.

Well I only noticed this really after coming back from holidays when I had to have the car jump started because the battery didn't have inough power to fire the starter.

But I drove around for about 45mins after that and now I don't have any starting problems.

As for the alternator, its giving 14V to the battery.....even with the headlights on so i don't think its that. But will check it again tomorrow.

Any other ideas? I'm scared to turn up the volume too much in case I get clipping (which COULD happen if the amp doesn't have enough power yeah?)

Thanks!

-Win

euro77
07-04-2004, 11:01 PM
if you have a voltage meter you can test the battery yourself. Otherwise, go to a professional audio installer, I'm sure they are more than happy to diagnose the problem for you (for free most of the time).

SIKCVC
07-04-2004, 11:19 PM
often the earth lead running from the battery isn't enough... upgrade it to a larger guage similar to your amps power lead. that could be the problem but i doubt it.

A'PEXi
07-04-2004, 11:44 PM
im on bout 14.2 when the car is on... stero works fine on high and low volume... ?

Javed
08-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Check VD to the amp with a multimeter on big bass notes, have a look where she drtops to. Anything lower than say ~11volts and start to pee ur pants, lol!

vti-2
08-04-2004, 07:38 AM
If nothing has changed apart from the battery being off for a long period of time (3 months in your case), then it's most likely the battery not supplying enough juice to the amps. I can't see it being anything else!

Is your battery a dry cell or one of the cheaper ones that require maintenance?

wynode
08-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Well the car was started up during the 3 months but not propely for the last couple of weeks.

Its just a normal led acid battery vic.

BTW: I only have a digital multimeter, will it show a drop when the bass hits?

Will do today!