PDA

View Full Version : increasing idling rpm

nickiipoohz
30-01-2006, 09:28 AM
hey guys, just wondering how i increase the idling rpm for my 96 Accord. Its got a H22A so what idling point do you guys recommend? Atm the car is vibrating a lil at idling so just want to get rid of that.

Thanks

Nick

EuroDude
30-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Before adjusting the idle speed, try cleaning the IACV screen and the Throttle Body. (There are DIY's here in OzHonda).
My idle was low as well - the engine was idling rough and vibrating. After cleaning the above, the idle increased back to normal.

To adjust the Idle:

1 Car off, unplug the IACV electrical plug
2 Start the car (it will give a CEL for IACV, ignore it) it may die but keep restarting and eventually get it to idle.
3 It will idle low and rough but you need to check what the rpm is. With the throttle body screw adjust it so the idle is between 5-600rpm.
4 Turn off the car
5 Remove the Backup Fuse to clear the IACV code you just had from having the sensor unplugged

Now the idle is within spec of the iacv's ability to adjust it. by adjusting the base idle with the iacv disconnected your getting it into its range of operation so you dont max out its duty cycle.

Now that the code is clear

6 Turn on the car with absolutly no load, no ac, no lights no nothing
7 Let it idle for at least a minute no more then a minute and a half
8 Now turn on the headlights and let it idle for 1 minute
9 Now turn off the headlights and turn on the a/c and let it idle for a minute
10 You're done

Eclipsor
30-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Just to add. The idle adjust screw if you're not sure is, if you were looking directly into the throttle body, just above it. Should be just to the left of a vacume line. A countersunk, or big grub screw or something, flat head screw. I think it is screw in to lower the rpm.

michael_antoi
30-01-2006, 03:03 PM
here ya go

http://home.insightbb.com/~niedejb/pics/screw.jpg

h22a accord
30-01-2006, 04:34 PM
great info Eurodude, I've given you a PQ point.

EuroDude
30-01-2006, 05:18 PM
:thumbsup:

nickiipoohz
30-01-2006, 11:59 PM
thanks all of u guys. i cleaned the throttle body and yeah its good. Thanks everyone for all ur help. I think i should go and clean the IACV sensor as well. Can anyone help me to locate this? also, people with h22a accords, what is ur idling point? thanks

EuroDude
31-01-2006, 08:46 AM
the IACV should be on the firewall side of the Throttle body, near the Air Intake at the back left. You should see a couple of pipes and an electrical connector going into it.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4693&highlight=IACV

h22a accord
31-01-2006, 08:49 AM
mines idles about 800rpm

with h22a accords IACV is bolted to the front of the plenum chamber underneath the throttle cable bracket. There is plug on the front of it.

f22b accords have the IACV bolted to the rear of the plenum on the fire wall side.

nickiipoohz
02-02-2006, 07:33 PM
thanks cam. and thanks to everyone who has helped me. got them cleaned. now lets see how long it will stay clean lol.