PDA

View Full Version : exhaust system for civic

traNce_gl
18-09-2003, 05:41 PM
hey just bout ot get right through exhayst sytem done ive got my s/s cannon so whats good 2 n half piping or 2 quater i want a deep sound but not too lound and it a auto by the way

and is it worth gettin extractors ..i want bit of pik up and this will be the only thing il be dooin engine wise gonna spend it on looks but yer what your opinoins

2 n half
or
2 quater pipin with extractors

Teggy-Vtir
18-09-2003, 05:43 PM
2 and a quater with 4-2 -1 extractors

macka
18-09-2003, 05:43 PM
umm.... what sorta car is yours?
i.e. wat size engine?
for 1.3L no more than 2".. for 1.5 or 1.6L, you'd be best getting 2 1/4" piping.
yes extractors can make an improvement on pickup, but it all depends on if you're willing to spend the extra $$ on it.
cheers,
macka

traNce_gl
18-09-2003, 05:51 PM
yhe got a 1.5 honda civic 92 gl

ok yeh im willin to spend $$$$ for improvment thanks

Setanta
18-09-2003, 06:15 PM
I'd suggest a 2 inch system for the 1.5GL - extractors wont make that much of a difference unless you are prepared to for out 5 or 6 hundred on them - even then I dunno how much of an improvement you'd see. Spend the money on a better motor :)

wynode
18-09-2003, 06:20 PM
Id have to agree with Setana. No offence traNce_gl but i'd look at getting something with more power to start off with if you want more power. The gains from that engine are minimal.

Have you looked at maybe selling it and getting an EG Si or Vti?

one more chance
18-09-2003, 07:17 PM
being a GL auto, you're not gonna make too much power from a simple exhaust system upgrade without going with brands such as spoon, mugen toda. if u want a deep sounding exhaust note, then the bigger the louder, so 2.5" should be fine. as for power gains, it more then likely you'll lose power, but hey, at least it'll be hella loud!!! 8)

wynode
18-09-2003, 07:22 PM
2.5" on a 1.5L Gli?? Thats hella too big

If you just get a straight through muffler it will be much louder than stock......then put in a resonator (or 2) to reduce the sound if its too loud

AP1 F20c
18-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Don't bother with the exhaust, you'd end up having a slightly quicker car with higher fuel consumption, a bigger cop magnet and attracting more unworthy attention. Go for the savings and get an engine swap, that'd be really significant to the point when you feel like you're driving a completely different car.

vti-2
19-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by wynode:
Id have to agree with Setana. No offence traNce_gl but i'd look at getting something with more power to start off with if you want more power. The gains from that engine are minimal.

Have you looked at maybe selling it and getting an EG Si or Vti?

Or have you considered boost?

traNce_gl
19-09-2003, 04:27 PM
nah wynode im not puttin different engine in it its a auto whats the point and the engine hasent been drivin well enough i bought if from a lady driver its like brand new 8).... im just gonan have the looks just whant exhaust systen just for the sound and just some little perfomance anyway ....i getting al lthis done cause i know this guy and he can get me extractors dirt cheap and pipin ...but i have to get some one else to fit them on for me..

thanks for you oppinoins

aZZ
20-09-2003, 10:37 PM
4-1 extracors better for vtec motors gives better flow at higher RPM, but 4-2-1 creates midrange power good for normal Atmo motors.

um wouldnt go anybigger then a 2" on the 1.5 non tec tho. it will still sound beefy provided you get the right muffler.

SiR
22-09-2003, 06:33 PM
I was told to go for 2" on my VTi-R. I asked why not 2 1/4 and the guy said that's too big?!

Setanta
22-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Trance_gl: 4-1 is no good for a SOHC VTEC engine - remember that it's the economy motor, not the power one. 4-2-1 header is the best bet or just use the standard manifold. Personally, I'd go stock header, mandrel bent exhaust system the same sixe as your existing one or a 1/4 inch larger TOPS to improve flow (most Civic exhausts are crush bent) and therefore maintain/increase power. Throw in a high-flow catalytic convertor and straight-through muffler with resonator to keep the decibels down to legal.

Throw in the mandatory rice-boi 5 inch tip and you are set :P

Otherwise, leave it stock and add a straight through muffler. Why waste money on stuff that you will never get your money back on when you sell?

SiR: That's nuts. My SiR came with 2 inch standard and I'm guessing your VTiR would too. All B series VTEC really need 2 1/4 mandrel bent to gain a bit of power with no/mild mods. I'd go somewhere where you wern't messed about like that. I hope it wasn't Liverpool exhaust that told you that - normally they are spot on and know their stuff.

Cheers

SiR
22-09-2003, 11:21 PM
It was actually Australia's Best. He said 2" but maybe he didn't know that my car's a VTi-R 1.6L DOHC VTEC? I'm pretty sure I told him though...

SIKCVC
22-09-2003, 11:46 PM
Dude I'll give you the answer... You want a note and nothing else... Go to a Exhaust shop tell them you want a smaller rear muffler, and chrome tip. Costs maybe $60 at most, you get a sweet sound and by changing the tip you can change the "breathyness" of it.

Thats what I did when I first got my car. Its good because the noise is at the back of the car and not IN the car like when you get a Cat-Back exhaust system. Because i wanted more power its too blardy loud in the car, although the back firing rumble is sweet as through the mountains :D

Whats your Location... i can give you details of a dude who'll do it for you... or even hire a mig welder and do it yourself. pretty easy job. cut weld weld.

[G]
23-09-2003, 10:48 AM
im actually with the SIKCVC on this one..havent read the whole thread but i did notice you have a 1.5ltr.. my advice would be ditch the exhaust idea get a tip to change the note for the time being if thats what you want and put the money for the exhaust and header towards a ZC, i sold my ZC with gearbox etc for 700 bucks so u should be able to pick something up in that range and spend a bit more putting it in or even doing it yourself if u can.

Youll be much happier in the end. Youll also end up with a spare 1.5 which u could sell for a decent price and would probably cover a fair bit of the cost involved in installing the ZC

SIKCVC
23-09-2003, 12:48 PM
if your interested I'll be selling my ZC early next year as a whole package, box exhaust loom, the lot.

one more chance
23-09-2003, 04:55 PM
i've made a post in another thread that touches on this...
check it out..

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=463

Jnr Teggy
23-09-2003, 08:08 PM
750 is good for a ZC and box!

MTX BOY
05-10-2003, 05:24 PM
hey im about to get a headers right through exhaust for my b16a...what dimensions would be best for power gains???

one more chance
05-10-2003, 07:45 PM
hey im about to get a headers right through exhaust for my b16a...what dimensions would be best for power gains???

for the b16a, dont go bigger then 2.25"

LatinoHatchCrap
06-10-2003, 11:13 AM
Dont waste $$$$ on an exhaust when you can use that $$$$ on an engine swap. If you're in the market for a swap have a look at my sig. its a COMPLETE swap so you dont have to run around picking up crap everywhere... :)

Civic Type R
06-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Im getting my exhaust done in about 2 weeks.
I intend to go Mugen 4-1 extractor and 2 1/4" exhaust with stainless muffler. This is for B16A :P
It all is going to cost me just under $800

LatinoHatchCrap
06-10-2003, 02:03 PM
where you getting the mugen 4-1 headers from? are they new? I plan on

doin' somethin similar but Im looking at the ITR JDM 4-1 headers and 2.5"

mandrel bent piping and a canister muffler...it'll be a bit too loud

though :?

Civic Type R
06-10-2003, 02:21 PM
where you getting the mugen 4-1 headers from? are they new? I plan on doin' somethin similar but Im looking at the ITR JDM 4-1 headers and 2.5" mandrel bent piping and a canister muffler...it'll be a bit too loud though :?
Im hopefully buying them from another OzHonda member.
btw.. they flow better than the JDM Type R ones dude !
2.25"is the largest you want to go for B16 engines otherwise you will lose too much back pressure and lots of torque.
Im going mild steel extractors and piping too - for less sound resonating. But im using a stainless muffler and tip tho :)

LatinoHatchCrap
06-10-2003, 02:55 PM
i dont have a b16a :wink: the research i've done shows that these two are actually in the same range as spoon, DC-sports, etc...the next level up is TODA, JUN, SMSP and Hytech...for the price and quality there wont be much difference between the mugen and JDM ITR 4-1 IMO...