PDA

View Full Version : type r crank b16b into a b16a what rods to use

bradb16a
02-02-2006, 10:18 AM
hi all
I have just got my hands on a type r crank to put into my car.Has any one do the change ????? what would be the best rods to use. so i dont hit the values. i have a set of spoon pistons to go in what power gainwill i get by changing the crank ?????

ekslut
02-02-2006, 10:50 AM
If I'm not wrong, you wont get any power gain by changing the crank. Its just stronger. And any B16a/a2 conrods should work, coz the crank is the same size.

Spoon pistons are probably not the best pistons to use too in a B16a too. Coz I'm pretty sure all they are, is OEM ITR pistons that have had the spoon treatment. Which would mean you will probably loose compression, meaning less power.

SPEEDCORE
02-02-2006, 12:46 PM
I have just got my hands on a type r crank to put into my car.

So you 100% sure it is a B16B crank? Could you do us a favour and measure the width of the rod journals? And yes this is to help you.... not a threadjacking :thumbsup:

I ask cause I am under the impression there is a difference in the journal widths between B16A and B18C cranks. I have searched for a long time to find out if they are like the B18C or B16A in width.... and I guess this will have a bearing on the selection of rods.

Weq
02-02-2006, 05:10 PM
i wouldnt bother with a crank swap unless its giving some capacity. All honda cranks a great IMO. Either way, if u do use it, make sure u get it fully balanced with ur crank pully (harmonic balancer) and flywheel.

ProECU
02-02-2006, 07:40 PM
IMO it's a worthwhile excercise.
The B16B cranks are not only machined for better windage as the counterweights are machined differently, its also designed for higher rpm's.