PDA

View Full Version : Where to place oil/water sensors...

revNhevN
02-02-2006, 07:50 PM
I am getting a pivot gauge soon. it will be used to read revs, oil and water temps. I have a few questions regarding the location of the sensors.

1. For Accuracy - is it better to have the Water temp sensor on the Head (next to thermostat - hole drilled and tapped out) OR on the Radiator Hose (using an adaptor)?

2. For Accuracy - is it better to have the Oil temp sensor on a sandwich plate OR in the Oil Sump?

Im asking because i have two options in installing the sensors.

Option A - $100 - $150, for radiator adaptor and sandwich plate. Parts Only.

Option B - Bit less than $200, for:
- Head taken off, hole drilled and tapped for water sensor
- Sump taken off, Oil temp sensor fitted
- Baffle welded in, good for track days.
- Includes Labour too.

Any past experience or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Weq
02-02-2006, 08:08 PM
im pretty sure u cant run a oil temp on the high pressure side of the oil system. so sump would be the best place.

water temp should be measured on the top radiator hose. well thats the best place u can easily put it, cause the alloy head is the most vounrable(sp!!) part.

Weq
02-02-2006, 08:09 PM
ps if u can get the head removed tapped and whatever for 200, thats awsome :) ( guess u mean thermostat housing, lol)

revNhevN
03-02-2006, 11:15 AM
im pretty sure u cant run a oil temp on the high pressure side of the oil system. so sump would be the best place.

water temp should be measured on the top radiator hose. well thats the best place u can easily put it, cause the alloy head is the most vounrable(sp!!) part.
what do u mean the alloy head is most vounrable?

geo41e
03-02-2006, 04:59 PM
umm..i think the best place to get a reading of water temp is on the block..coz if u put it on the hose..it won't be as accurate.....

Slow96GSR
03-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Make/Model/Year?

revNhevN
03-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Engine is a b16a from an EG6. Gauge is a Pivot 5 in 1. Thread on sensor is 1/8" PT.

Slow96GSR
04-02-2006, 07:10 AM
On the left side, looking at the motor from the front, toward the back of the head on the lower part there is a plug that taps in to the oil right after the filter. You can use that for pressure, for temp I would go and put a sensor at the end of the oiling system so you can see actual temp not a temp right out of the pan. It will be hard to get perfect reading because the block will heat up the sensor and the oil heats up fast, so you could just put one "T" fitting in for the pressure and the temp. That's what I would do. As for coolant/water temp I would put that in one of the many plugs on the block. Just pull one out and put in an adapter for the sensor. There are a few on the back of the block and I think one on the front. I will double check these for you here in a min.