PDA

View Full Version : Broken Clutch/Gearbox/ferked engine

KB
02-02-2006, 11:42 PM
This afternoon i was testing out my new ecu. I miss shifted @ 8500rpm when shifting from 1st into second. Something bad happened big time. I think i may have ****ed a bearing or worse. The engine still turns over, can select gears and what nut, but clutch doesn't engage the engine, the pedal feels dofferent too,

any ideas?

EDIT* i have a d16y8 btw

sivic
03-02-2006, 12:51 AM
i reckon its your pressure plate dude.
same thing happened to my mate with the s2000. exact same symptoms.

ECU-MAN
03-02-2006, 09:09 PM
you either snapped your input shaft ( rare ) or you killed your clutch.

was there any signs of your clutch not being 100% ???

ek4-guy
03-02-2006, 09:26 PM
u might have seized you thrust race bearing.

ECU-MAN
03-02-2006, 09:27 PM
he should still get drive

KB
03-02-2006, 10:40 PM
My clutch was a 3 month opld excedy h/d.

I can still select gears with the linkage, but its like there is not contact between the gbox and engine.

Btw, when the car is off the ground, and i spin the right wheel the left one turns backwards(normal) but when i turn the left on either direction, the right wheel stays stationary(is that norm). Dropping tranny ATM.

egSi
03-02-2006, 11:26 PM
wtf kyle! :(

ECU-MAN
03-02-2006, 11:35 PM
try putting it in gear and do that test, if its in N then its normal

KB
03-02-2006, 11:44 PM
if i start the car up, i can change gears without the clutch as the engine isn't even rotating the g/box. I can start the car in gear per say.

KB
03-02-2006, 11:46 PM
try putting it in gear and do that test, if its in N then its normal

Yeh same thing, whether in N or 12345 or R. :(

KB
03-02-2006, 11:46 PM
ill double check tommorow though

spat the dummy for the night,

TRU32U
04-02-2006, 01:18 AM
i did something similar to my car...
i auctually snapped the diaphram forks. =( well the metal diaphram cracked in two.

SKREMN
04-02-2006, 04:42 PM
the release spring snaped on my fork and it wouldnt engage
i had a funny pedal
car would start and drive in first

KB
04-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Hey guys. I found out the problem, appears that i have literally blown apart the clutch disc. All the pad material had desintigrated into dust and small fragments and it was just a bit of tin shit. So much for Exedy "Heavy Duty".

string
04-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Hey guys. I found out the problem, appears that i have literally blown apart the clutch disc. All the pad material had desintigrated into dust and small fragments and it was just a bit of tin shit. So much for Exedy "Heavy Duty".
You've got to be kidding if you think that "Heavy Duty" means you can do stupid shit with it and expect it to hold fine. For one, Heavy Duty relates to clamping force, nothing to do with clutch durability. Two, you broke it, suck it up, lesson learned; Shift properly next time.

In a different light, I don't really see how u obliterated a clutch disc. Presumably, you just didnt go into second, and bounced off the limiter a bit (assuming you had one set on your new ecu?).

Fill us in with the details...

KB
04-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Im no granny driver thats for sure. But i dont thrash the shit out of the car. Got the Exedy HD about 3 months ago. Broke it in for 1000km's. In the time since, sure ive had a few Traffic light GP's, but i didn't expect this.

Basically on Thursday I got my New ECU, I thought the limit was at 8500, but anyway i was just showing my mate and when I went changing 1st into second, I missed second(You know how you like just not in the right place and hit that "invisable block" the - part of the H) then i over revved to like 8500 - 9000 Rpm and then got it into gear, but when i released the clutch nothing happened, and i just rolled to a near by carpark.

My thoughts are that there must of been some sort of small defect in the clutch plate, and that combined with exseeive Rpm caused it to die? I really dunno.

I know its my fault thou, don't have to rub it in dude.

BTW can anyone reccomend a good clutch combo for less than $500.00 shipped ASAP?

iamhappy46
05-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Exedy HD kits are rated to FACTORY RPM or you void your warranty... The fact you engaged the clutch with so many rpm and the difference between engine/gearbox speed is what made it obliterate itself.

Learn to rev match ;)

Buy another exedy clutch disc, the HD kits only use a stronger pressure plate with a STANDARD disc. Or you could try and purchase a HDCB or sports organic clutch disc...

EDIT: Just checked the catalogue for you man... No listing for HDCB or Sports Organic kits so it looks like the standard clutch disc for you. Take care changing gears this time.

KB
05-02-2006, 12:41 PM
What are my options?

Surley someone makes a Clutch that can withstand 8500Rpm for a d-series??? :(

iamhappy46
05-02-2006, 06:36 PM
The standard clutch can normally stand the rpm/abuse but if your not rev matching on shifts, they CAN disintegrate. I change gears at 7600rpm sometimes in the Honda and it hooks up well. We use the HD clutch designed for the ED Civic and it redlined at 5500rpm so it is POSSIBLE to use a standard clutch disc with hi-rpm but just be careful. That is why there is not warranty even on standard kits for hi-rpm use.

When you shift at 8500 next time(after you let the new clutch bed in properly), let the engine revs drop down to say 6000rpm before grabbing the next gear and it should hook up well. This is so the flywheel and input shaft are spinning at roughly the same speeds.

Your old clutch probably died because the flywheel was spinning at 8000+rpm and missing a shift let the wheels/gearbox shaft speed drop, so the input shaft was spinning at <6000rpm. The clutch took up the difference in speeds and the material/rivets went KABOOM...