PDA

View Full Version : EG With a B16

DD2
03-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Ok... so i'm looking at buying an EG running a B16 motor from another state (i'm from NSW).

How hard is it to engineer these cars in Sydney ?? What will be required ?? What sort of costs am i up against ?

Any advise will be appreciated !

AsH_
04-02-2006, 03:07 PM
how much r u willing 2 spend???

theres a few in vic.

bennjamin
04-02-2006, 04:14 PM
have alook at this inhouse FAQ...

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14136

DD2
04-02-2006, 04:20 PM
ASH: Around 8k with a stock b16... 5-6ish for a stock VTI.

EGB16A: Your car looks great, but $11K is too much. For not much more i could find a VTI-R. We are talking about a small hatch approaching 15 years of age with a redbook value of about $5k in stock form... i can't justify the extra $6K.... $8 - 9K we'd be talking!

simbadda54
04-02-2006, 04:31 PM
i thought vtir's r 15k+

AsH_
04-02-2006, 04:36 PM
i thought vtir's r 15k+

EGz??? they didnt come out in VTiR did they??

im not sure. i dont know all the EG models.

simbadda54
04-02-2006, 04:39 PM
EGz??? they didnt come out in VTiR did they??

im not sure. i dont know all the EG models.

As in EK4 vtir

DD2
04-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Simbadda54: That's 15K asking price for a car much younger with the same motor, and in my opinion better interior.

AsH: Yep.. was referring to EK4 as mentioned.

I'll just be patient.. i'm in no rush as i have a car already

egads
04-02-2006, 05:15 PM
is the car registered and engineered in its state with the b16? what model is it? (breeze/si etc)

as with purchasing any interstate vehicle, in nsw you will need things like a blue slip, ctp green slip, reciept of purchase. visit the rta site for more info yeah.

on the issue of engineering it for nsw rego, you might get lucky and it will just slide during blue slip, technically its still a 1.6 L4 cyclinder non turbo (pending what model it was prior though). granted its now a b-series but like i said, it might just slide.

pillow
04-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Stock EG's with a stock or very mildly modded B16A go for 10k...

People are still trying to sell virtually stock VTi's for 9k

DD2
04-02-2006, 06:16 PM
egads: Thanks man.. that's great info. My current car was purchased from QLD, so have been through the whole blue slip, green slip scenario before... just wasn't sure if the engine conversion was going to give me any grief.

Pillow: Is this what people are paying or asking? Yes i've seen stock VTI's with asking prices of 9... some much lower. Your car is the perfect example, looks great and has been tastefully modified.. but essentially its a '91 GL with about 3K value... so ur asking 13K+ for the now 2nd hand mods.... an example like yours i'd be willing to stretch the budget mentioned above, but not almost double it.

Might have to go back the drawing board and re consider what pocket rocket i buy to replace my existing car.

VT3C
04-02-2006, 09:00 PM
you get what you pay for bro dont be a cheap-ass !!

GOOD condition EG5 is worth ~10,000 still.. B16A swapped ~12,000.. decent mods, good condition, swapped etc ~14,000.

yeah they might be approaching 15 years of age but the EG still holds it's own in terms of quality, style, features, looks and performance.

pillow
04-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Hmmm the only GL EG's I see for 3k have over 220,000km on them. Average price seems to be around the 5 mark dude. I know I'm asking a bit for my car, if you totalled up what it actually cost, you might see it's not that expensive, the only thing that's really from 1991 in the car is the chassis itself;) But this thread's not about my car.

For 8k, you can get a thrashed, shitbox B16A EG, most likely a half arsed swap that's not engineered either. Look to spend at least 10k on a stockish one.

[[d a n n y]]
05-02-2006, 01:50 AM
dude your looking for advices.
if u already know all that kind of info's then dont waste out time and bandwidth.
do the search yourself.
these guys are putting effort and time to answer your question.
dont be so rude..

DD2
05-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Sorry guys... didn't mean to come across rude or as a cheap ass... i guess i'm a little envious that you honda owners manage to get back more than the redbook value of the car + the majority of the cost in mods. Personally i currently drive an MR2 turbo that has had a fair bit of money spent on it, i got no chance of ever seeing most of it again :(

I was looking at selling it for a little hatch and pocketing the change and i've always loved the EG, but just can't justify spending that sort of money on one. I think i may end up just keeping the MR2.

[c]
05-02-2006, 11:45 PM
m8 u sound like 1 scumm.. u think ur ganna pik a up a civic 4 500 bux already wid a b16a in it wake up 2 ur slef m8 seriously ur more den a cheap ass

[[d a n n y]]
05-02-2006, 11:53 PM
Sorry guys... didn't mean to come across rude or as a cheap ass... i guess i'm a little envious that you honda owners manage to get back more than the redbook value of the car + the majority of the cost in mods. Personally i currently drive an MR2 turbo that has had a fair bit of money spent on it, i got no chance of ever seeing most of it again :(

I was looking at selling it for a little hatch and pocketing the change and i've always loved the EG, but just can't justify spending that sort of money on one. I think i may end up just keeping the MR2.

hahha i know what u mean.i've spent a fortune on my gtr
you will never see it again.
anywayz for a decent condition b16a eg you will look around 10K for it
red book value is not always right.
it's just a guide line.
and you will find out that most of the EG's asking for high prices will be in very good shape for it's age.

DD2
06-02-2006, 08:30 AM
[c]: You're a foolish child.... re-read my last post & speak English!

[[danny]]: Thanks. I was never trying to degrade the Civic, and if my motivation to buy one wasn't to save money then I'd happily look into purchasing an EG like Pillow's. It has to be one of the finest examples I've seen on this forum by far!!!

I think with the money I'm willing to part with that a stockish EG Civic VTI is the way to go...... or heaven forbid i mention it on this forum an early '90s SSS, or 4AGZE powered Corolla..... *runs for cover* :P

hoonda
06-02-2006, 09:31 AM
To answer your original q's:
I went through all this when my swap was done (in NSW).

Technically, an EG6/9 B16a swap only needs blue slip for EG conversion, as it is of the same make of car, & displacement is the same (if you had the 1.6 to start with). Other swaps ought to be engineered.

However, you can 'get away' with just a blue slip for any B16 to EG conversion because they are the same chassis, and RTA has no idea what the differences between Honda motors are. Since a blue slip changes the engine # on your rego, once approved it will be legitimate. But for peace of mind, i would recommend getting it certified anyway. Last time i checked, it was about $250 for engineers certificate, but that was a couple of years ago.

Also, IMO you ought to expect to pay an absolute minimum of 10-11K for a EG B16, anything less and there will be something seriously wrong with the car. You get what you pay for...

DD2
06-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Hoonda: Thanks, that's excellent information. Yes, this is what people are asking and what some are willing to pay. The point i've been trying to make is that generally you don't get much money back on mods, just flick through the tradingpost and see the number of modified vehicles going for a lot less than they cost to built. You Honda boys are lucky.... if only i knew this before i built up my car :)

qstoria
04-03-2006, 03:47 PM
92 EG hatch in canberra for sale. '00' JDM b16a conversion. CTR extractors, VTi-r disc upgrade etc.. 12 grand. more info below

http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=vc&i=1882806370

depends how much you want one but id say you are looking at at least 10 - 12 grand.

good luck finding what you are after

EG6_SiR
04-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Just a note, even a price for a real stock eg6 can range up to $13k. It is very suprising how these vechiles can hold their value, but they are Hondas. Also crx's (gen2) are still getting incredible prices, only 2 years ago i sold my gen2(1989 aussie spec) crx for 10k with hardly any mods. Hope you can flog off that mr2 and find something good, go the Hondas

tRipitaka
04-03-2006, 05:01 PM
i guess i'm a little envious that you honda owners manage to get back more than the redbook value of the car + the majority of the cost in mods.
do keep in mind that redbook tends to value cars at a much lower price than what they really are in the market..

Weq
04-03-2006, 06:49 PM
do keep in mind that redbook tends to value cars at a much lower price than what they really are in the market..

This is only true with cult cars like Civic's. EG's have held there value sooo well, all u guys take it for granted. i just sold my subby, immaculate condition and only got the bottom redbook value - while a heep more were going for 2-3k less then redbook! EG's are an awsome first car and with an NA engine they will have a very good power/weight ratio. NA means legal for P platers in NSW so dont expect these cars to loose value over night.

NeRV
04-03-2006, 06:51 PM
when i was looking at buying my EG... i went and saw a EG VTi... the guy wanted 11K for it and it wasnt negotiable, it was only slightly modded, I/E & 17" Chromes :thumbdwn: ... and it had 230,000K's on it... :thumbdwn: ... so imo a EG with a B16a selling for around the 10K mark is a bargain :) ... since i always see Vti's going for around 8K +

revNhevN
05-03-2006, 09:54 AM
From my experience budget for 10K min for a EG b16a in decent condition. Mine was around the 11K mark.