PDA

View Full Version : B18B ECU running a B18C

locote
03-02-2006, 07:12 PM
is it possible to run a B18c safely with a obd2 B18B ecu???
just for a while???
there would be no hard driving involved.

ECU-MAN
03-02-2006, 08:56 PM
not a good idea, but if you baby it it will get you to a place to have it fixed sort of thing.

bigest problem is ignition being out, not good for your engine

locote
03-02-2006, 11:35 PM
ok.
any place that is familiar with honda tuning in Perth that you know of???

sivic
04-02-2006, 03:07 AM
race torque. in osborne park i think

A.G.System
05-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Odds are that if it worked at all, the ecu would detect "problems" and drop into a rich, retarded, gutless limp mode anyway. Damage would be unlikely and you'd get where you're going.

spardikis
05-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Did it when i built my High Comp (11:5/6;1)B18C bottom end which i put into my 96gsi when i was breaking it in.. wasnt a problem ran fine just dont drive past Vtec point as cams run out of everything...

spardikis
05-02-2006, 12:46 PM
and yes it would work locate dont listen to those guys they dont know. ob2 plugs straight into ob2 and works fine, and to get vtec on your current loom u only need to plug in 3 wires - pressure switch, knock sensor and vtec solinoid to get your itr or vtir ecu running off current loom. easy as.
you might need to advance/retard your timing which is what i had to do anyway after puttin the build engine back in after the build to get it running properly. my gsi ecu even ran in one of my mates ITR's in New Zealand, we did it just to see... and when u think about the fuel maps etc and once you have timing sorted there wont be a problem there anyway cause a gsi has slightly larger displacement and more torque so for your lower non vtec lobe on your cams u will be fine... wouldnt want to run it for to long and dont go past your 5500/6000 rpm!!

Hey do u need a JDM ITR or vtir ecu??

spardikis
05-02-2006, 12:55 PM
my god where do u guys get this from, re reading your posts just makes me want to cry.. i mean where the heck do u get that from>>

locote
05-02-2006, 01:55 PM
i might need 1 spardikis, not surre yet the workshop might sort one out for me to borrow till i get a tuneble management.
hey also how much would i be able to fetch for my b18b all that it wont have will be exhaust header. prob just the cast 1 from the b18c.
i wouldnt have a clue how much to ask???
done 158000ks no probs at all, clutch is good, shifts fine, revs to 7000rpm no worries!!!
i wanna sell it before so when it comes of it can be picked up and taken away. i dont wanna have the guys at the workshop hold it there.

spardikis
05-02-2006, 03:06 PM
i have mine for sale....but no one is interested...lol. i reckon 500ish mabey 700ish...just post it up in the parts for sale thread.

and the b18b engine harness is easier to use on the b18c change, so you might have to sell the b18c wire harness with the b18b engine. you just need to swap dizzy plugs for the b18b engine harness to work... its confusing but pm me when you need a hand and i can run you thru it.

mabey you should keep the engine as a backup incase you smoke your b18c??? depends how badly you need your ride for daily stuff i guess.

ProECU
05-02-2006, 03:50 PM
to get vtec on your current loom u only need to plug in 3 wires - pressure switch, knock sensor and vtec solinoid to get your itr or vtir ecu running off current loom. easy as.

WRONG.
How do you explain vtec engaginig in a B18B ECU when there are no vtec transistors within the ECU?

you might need to advance/retard your timing which is what i had to do anyway after puttin the build engine back in after the build to get it running properly.

Well no shit sherlock. advance or retard. They are the only two options available, thanks for clearing it up.

my gsi ecu even ran in one of my mates ITR's in New Zealand, we did it just to see... and when u think about the fuel maps etc and once you have timing sorted there wont be a problem there anyway cause a gsi has slightly larger displacement and more torque so for your lower non vtec lobe on your cams u will be fine...

erm.... ran fine you say? How did vtec work? With that imaginary vtec transistor?

I think someone is smoking to much whacky tobaccy.

ProECU
05-02-2006, 03:55 PM
and the b18b engine harness is easier to use on the b18c change, so you might have to sell the b18c wire harness with the b18b engine. you just need to swap dizzy plugs for the b18b engine harness to work... its confusing but pm me when you need a hand and i can run you thru it.

mabey you should keep the engine as a backup incase you smoke your b18c??? depends how badly you need your ride for daily stuff i guess.

WOW. Whatever floats your boat.

I would've just spent $150 on a OBD1-OBD2 engine conversion harness and be done with it (if obd1) or use whats there if OBD2
I dont know about you guys, but I dont like barstardising harnesses & motors.

Whatever happened to that point score system to be able to post in the technical section?

ProECU
05-02-2006, 03:57 PM
as already explained above,
it will get you from PtA to PtB, but dont expect it to be an optimal solution.
Vtec will not work, and you may get some CEL Codes at worst.

locote
05-02-2006, 06:02 PM
are the apex'i plug in ecu's any good????

ECU-MAN
05-02-2006, 06:05 PM
my god where do u guys get this from, re reading your posts just makes me want to cry.. i mean where the heck do u get that from>>

get your shit acurate as well before posting crap like that.

OBDII B18C dont run VTEC pressure switch, so no need to wire it

What ever I post is from experience.

locote
05-02-2006, 06:09 PM
IM confused hahahha:(
so i have to use everything from front cut ecu and harness???
if it dont have a dash(speedo tacho) will the non vtec dash work fine with vtec ecu???

locote
05-02-2006, 06:10 PM
AND as for my b18b i need to get rid of it as i have no were to store it.

ECU-MAN
05-02-2006, 06:18 PM
AND as for my b18b i need to get rid of it as i have no were to store it.

if your car is OBDII you only have to wire the VTEC solenoid and knock, you shoudl also fit the front cut B18C High pressure power stearing hose, then you can also wire up its pressure switch.

you can change your cluster if you wont, but the stock one will work with no probs, its kool watching the needl pass red line when you rev it :)

if it OBDI then you will need to do some wiring. you can get a harness, but just cut the OBD I connectors off ( and give them to me ) and wire in the OBDII connectors.

if you need help just let me know.

locote
05-02-2006, 06:26 PM
lol, ill have the needle on the red all the time hahha:)
my gsi should go sh@# loads quiker as opposed to having the b18b.
i got a 4-2-1 mugen header, 2.5' zorst, SRI (K&N), apex'i safc.
itll have to be retuned hey???
with the gsi been 30kgs lighter than vtir, i will feel a big difference once vtec engages hey????
my best time with nonvtec setup is 15.2. think i can hit mid 14s???

ECU-MAN
05-02-2006, 07:28 PM
dont forget you will put some weight back on with the B18C as it has more bits=more weight.

for best results retune it.

if its OBDI leave the connectors on, and have your stock ecu converted and modified for VTEC and made tunable :)

locote
05-02-2006, 07:31 PM
do you have any contacts in perth that tune honda, with hondata???

ECU-MAN
05-02-2006, 07:33 PM
nope

PM dyno dave or blkcrx

send yoru car to adelaide :)

we'll take care of it for you.

locote
06-02-2006, 12:21 AM
hahaha.
doesnt blckcrx sometimes come to perth to tune???

spardikis
06-02-2006, 05:24 AM
umm corse vtec wont work without a vtec computer and correct wiring that is what i was tryin to say... and i guess when i wired my JDM ITR ecu i wasjust imagining the pressure switch> maybe it was ob1 but whateva man, the point is that ob1 plugs into ob1, ob2 plugs into ob2? did u guys read the post above tellin him it wouldnt work, so yeah i stand by it all... and um yeah i am postin from experience! i just kinda did this build and um kinda built my engine myself u know... hang on am i just imagining that my car is even running... haha!!!

spardikis
06-02-2006, 05:25 AM
dig dig

string
06-02-2006, 04:21 PM
I am with ProECU. Buy an OBD2->OBD1 conversion harness, then buy an OBD1 vtec or non-vtec (if you are feeling extra cheap and are handy with a bit of soldering).

OBD1 rules the world :D

With the B18B OBD2 computer plugged into your OBD B18C, it WILL RUN. And for every day driving, will run fine, and you probably won't notice the difference thanks to closed loop. But you sure will have issues going high in the rpm range on your non-vtec cam.