PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light is on

TRU32U
04-02-2006, 01:13 AM
ok guys heres the jist...
was driving, normally then outta no where the check engine light came on...
switched off the engine then it dissappeared...
shold i be worried?
is this a sign towards problems of any sort?
cheers

dragons2k
04-02-2006, 03:22 AM
go to honda dealer get that checked man.. hopefully its nothing but if i was u ill get that checked.

ECU-MAN
05-02-2006, 07:24 PM
do the DIY ECU check for fault codes

then tell us the code.

then we tell you if you should worry :)

blusir2
15-02-2006, 05:22 PM
ok guys heres the jist...
was driving, normally then outta no where the check engine light came on...
switched off the engine then it dissappeared...
shold i be worried?
is this a sign towards problems of any sort?
cheers

Im sorry to say but it sounds like the problem I had. I'll try to cut a long story short.
I had a EG6 front cut that i put into a EG4 which is a Gli here. Coz i just needed the EFI and elect options. Anywayz, I started having that problem too. The check light would come on every now and then and then when u cycle the ignition it goes away. This kept goin on for a while until it stayed on permanently. Used the launch control module at the workshop to carry out a diagnostics on it and it said the prob was with the distributor. Then one day it died. So i had to bite the bullet and actually take it apart and see wat was up with it. Man was I in for a shock. The rubber seal to stop the oil from the camshaft gettin into the dissy was hardened and oil was seeping inside the dissy destroying all the wires due to its corrosiveness. The dissy was stuffed and the shorting of wires had killed the ignition card transistor. So i just opted to buy a second hand one from a wrecker. Then after a while that went too. Same situation. Car just died but lucky it died at the workshop while i was dynoing my car.
So i then decided to not trust ppl and rebuild one myself. I got all the parts and rebuilt it and fixed the wiring and everything. It was beautiful, and the performance of the car increased greatly as the timing was spot on now. Also better fuel economy.
The poor perfomance of the honda dissy's start from about 1989-1999. If u have a B-series engine from that time then u may have a dissy problem. the ITR has a better one and it shouldnt be an issue. But if u do have one from the bad era there are 2 options for u if it is ur prob. You can either get it rebuilt from a mecahnic for about $200-300 or get a brand new one from an American company that makes the whole assembly and all for about $350. Coz in the US they have huge probs with the dissy's. I forgot the name but you can ask my boss Adrian at the workshop (Toda Racing) or i can get u the name.
So the signs u should be looking for to see if it is the dissy is:

1. Poor fuel economy
2. Poorer performance compared to when u first got the car
3. A ticking noise coming from the dissy when the car is idling
4. Spark plugs and injectors being sooted up due to poor sparks not burning
all the fuel.
5. check light coming on every now and then.

Obviously ECU-Man as usual is correct in saying that u should get a diagnostics test done first and tell us the code, we shall know straight away. Just tellin u my expereince to see if there are any similarities coz if u catch the problem early u wun have to get a new dissy which is costly.