PDA

View Full Version : crx peformance

bogo
04-02-2006, 06:13 PM
hey guys im a new member to the forum..
i have a couple of questions..
i have a honda crx 1990 mod.its got the usual lil mods like exhuast,extractors,pod den rims n kit n stuff BUT im looking to get some more power..what is the best way of goin,turbo,what kind?how big?what do i need guys,jus needs some help?
im looking to spend maybe 5grand or so...
thanks !! :)

SINISTR
04-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Hey there - and Welcome!!!

Post some pics of your car for starters :)

HP - with 5K to spend?

a propper turbo setup will set you back around 10K = but that will be killer.

For 5K you can change some NA bits on the car and get some HP. Like raise the compression by installing a thinner gasket under the cyl head, installing some cams and cam gears, Ecu, larger throttle body - you could be looking between 15-20HP extra - which isnt' too bad.

M

VT3C
04-02-2006, 08:47 PM
WTF ?? nah man for $5k you can source a LPT Kit - like Greddy or Edelbrock from the states and should still have enough change to have it installed.. $10k for an LPT set-up and the workshop is simply taking you for a ride - all the way to the bank.

LPT = Low Pressure Turbo - which means you can run low-boost on your stock internals usually good for ~40% power increase.

now within your $5k for this setup, you may or may not have enough $$ for ECU (and tuning) however some of the kits will come with an ECU piggy-back module to help your OEM ECU along.

basically dont get disheartened.. you DON'T need $10k for a turbo kit unless you are thinking beyond ~1BAR.

and I dont reccomend buying it bit-by bit.. get the WHOLE kit from a reputable manufacturer as you'll get ALL the bits you might not have thought about like need like hose clamps etc.

JasonGilholme
04-02-2006, 11:24 PM
+ 1 rep point to ya VT3C. Great stu

good luck with the turbo conversion bogo. I reckon 5 g's will cover most of it as well.

bogo
05-02-2006, 11:05 AM
thanks guys!great help!.does any one have any contacts or web sites i can organise with to get some of these parts!?

SINISTR
05-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the SPILL Bede!!! - but WHEN was the LAST time you looked into getting a LOW cost Under 5K turbo kit from the US? I've talked to you about this before as I have looked into this myself about a year ago.

YES - you will get what looks like a KIT, or a kit with very poor components. Manifold that could and probably will crack shorly after its installed, definatelly NOT a ball bearing turbo, no front mount - WHY recommend a half arsed system?

OH yeah - and well mentioned about the ECU as well! because for 5K its definatelly healty running a stock ECU for a turbo!!! and don't forget postage either.

Once again - you know more than EVERYONE else. Im trying to give this guy advice for the long period. Not something that will be fun for 6 months and then he'll be up for another 5K rebuild!

Bogo - good luck! :)

ah8118
05-02-2006, 11:17 PM
hmmm sad to say, i agree with sinistr... good turbo kits don't come cheap. Reliability and power unfortunately do not come hand in hand, unlesss u got the dough... i reckon for a reliable and good turbo set up, its gonna cost u more than 5k. don't forget stuff like ecu, which would nearly cost u a grand. good luck!!!!

SlobberGoat
06-02-2006, 01:01 AM
If you don't feel like smashing 5K+.... www.homemadeturbo.com is your friend.

CRX-Ando
06-02-2006, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the SPILL Bede!!! - but WHEN was the LAST time you looked into getting a LOW cost Under 5K turbo kit from the US? I've talked to you about this before as I have looked into this myself about a year ago.

YES - you will get what looks like a KIT, or a kit with very poor components. Manifold that could and probably will crack shorly after its installed, definatelly NOT a ball bearing turbo, no front mount - WHY recommend a half arsed system?

OH yeah - and well mentioned about the ECU as well! because for 5K its definatelly healty running a stock ECU for a turbo!!! and don't forget postage either.

Once again - you know more than EVERYONE else. Im trying to give this guy advice for the long period. Not something that will be fun for 6 months and then he'll be up for another 5K rebuild!

Bogo - good luck! :)
I concur here with Mike...I would definitely set myself with a higher budget than 5K heading down the path to boost...as Mike reiterated, don't go half-arse into it as you will pay for it in the long run...I have a boosted Gen II CRX SiR with the VTEC engine & basically everything from ECU, internals, all head and engine work, FMIC, LSD etc completed & it's way in excess of 5K let me assure you...the bottom line is always finance more than what you think it's worth all up...think about tuning and installation...think about what other components of the vehicle will need to be upgraded due to the increase in power...boosted cars are not cheap to own & run, trust me, do it first time, do it right...look at it through a long-term perspective & compromise on nothing...all the best with your endeavours Bogo :cool:

bogo
06-02-2006, 09:13 AM
thanks guys yous have been a help..maybe it sounds like i need to spend a few more g's on top!BUT one guy suggested to me if i dont want to much power is a bolt on kit which im looking at round bout 3grand which will come with custom manifold,turbo and cooler.what do yous think about that??

:thumbsup: OR :thumbdwn:

FR33K
06-02-2006, 09:31 AM
if you want more power... why dont u just do an engine conversion..

saxman
06-02-2006, 11:52 AM
As someone in the states, it's very easy to put together a kit with high quality, new parts, for under $2k, that'll blow away most every kit on the market(at least until you're getting into the likes of full race, etc). Including ecu.

So that's about $2.5kAU at todays exchange rate. Surely the price isn't going to more than double for shipping and import duty and stuff to get it there.

crx88rb
06-02-2006, 07:27 PM
your car is N/A as is mine and i can understand your need for more POWAH. but i think best way to go would be a engine swap or a N/A tune up. all the fun stuff like cams ,cam gears, ecu and all hte other bits that make your normal N/A car in to a beast of the line. No Turbo = no spooling up. if you get a good set up you can have the POWAH on hand ready to go. kinda like a super charger but with less fuel consuption :p. if you did go down the road of a bolt on turbo with stock internals running low boost i think you will find in time you may want to up the POWAH, so again that would be more money ontop of the money you spend on the low boost turbo you just bought :P OMG .but yes good luck on what you want and like the guys have said budget above what you are thinking, its a good idea :D. N/A POWAH :honda:

AVPCRX
09-02-2006, 10:58 AM
only problem with getting the kit from the states is the manifold, apart from that you can get kits delivered to your door with a T3/4 Turbo for around 1500, then you need cooler + piping aswell as your ecu and tuning. you can do it for 5k on a low boost setup however if you get greedy and wind it up your engine wont last long without the rebuild...

saxman
09-02-2006, 02:28 PM
only problem with getting the kit from the states is the manifold, apart from that you can get kits delivered to your door with a T3/4 Turbo for around 1500, then you need cooler + piping aswell as your ecu and tuning. you can do it for 5k on a low boost setup however if you get greedy and wind it up your engine wont last long without the rebuild...

what does getting a kit from the states have to do with the manifold?

I presume you're referring to the ssautochrome kits on ebay out here(which certainly aren't the only turbo kits available out here) that are notorious for having a horrible manifold. Hate to break it to you, but it's not just the manifolds that are known for being crap... it's basically everything it comes with.

AVPCRX
09-02-2006, 03:52 PM
no not that one, theres a guy from queensland who puts them together.

the manifolds are for the SOHC engine which as far as i know dont bolt up to the d16a8 DOHC

CRX_stocky
10-02-2006, 09:33 PM
5g's sound right ot me, ca rtoys in adelaide have a greedy kit for a b18c engine for $4500, i enquired about one for my b16a and was told this kit would work i'd just need to get a custom manifold, kit came with bov, fmic, and greedy e-manage, plus hoses pipes and all that shit

saxman
10-02-2006, 11:33 PM
5g's sound right ot me, ca rtoys in adelaide have a greedy kit for a b18c engine for $4500, i enquired about one for my b16a and was told this kit would work i'd just need to get a custom manifold, kit came with bov, fmic, and greedy e-manage, plus hoses pipes and all that shit
you can buy the b16 greddy(not greedy) turbo kit in the states for $3200ish AU. Can't imagine it'd cost another $1300 to get it there.

Felix
11-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Heya Bogo.

Good to see a fellow Newcastle folk.
What CRX you have? Probably seen you around. What plates, so i can give ya a wave...