PDA

View Full Version : OBX (brand) LSD for vtir tranny

locote
04-02-2006, 11:13 PM
does htis product get thums up or down???
im 99% sure ill be buying a front cut and installing it in my gsi but i want LSD, and ITR gearboxes are rare as!!!

Is this OBX product cheap crap or ok or GOOD???

locote
04-02-2006, 11:17 PM
and how much quiker will the 30kg lighter GSI be??
best time ive done so far with b18b is 15.2 will the b18c2 net me at least 1/2 to 1 sec over 1/4 mile???

SPEEDCORE
05-02-2006, 07:43 AM
I personally would stay away........ spend the little extra and get a quiafe and change your carrier bearings and check the rest of the box while your at it.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1249085

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1491127

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1145428

I've been keeping my eye on the OBX diff debarkle for some time now and this is just the tip of the iceberg..... nothing changes. Some people have success... others get bent over hard!

Happy reading!

saxman
05-02-2006, 08:20 AM
I personally would stay away........ spend the little extra and get a quiafe and change your carrier bearings and check the rest of the box while your at it.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1249085

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1491127

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1145428

I've been keeping my eye on the OBX diff debarkle for some time now and this is just the tip of the iceberg..... nothing changes. Some people have success... others get bent over hard!

Happy reading!
the biggest issue people have with the obx diffs is the axles sticking. It is very easy to modify the axles so that this isn't an issue. It's been discussed on honda-tech before. Further more, people with quaiffe diffs have complained of the exact same thing occuring, be it in much smaller quantities.

Also, as for the thread with the bolts missing, I remember seeing a nearly identical thread(in fact, I think the same pictures were used), for a while back, that ended up determining that it wasn't in fact missing any bolts, that they were just looking at a casting hole, etc.

Weq
05-02-2006, 12:59 PM
i gonna be running an OBX diff. thumbs up from what i have heard.

SPEEDCORE
05-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Some people have success... others get bent over hard!

:)

Personally since I have not used the OBX unit I can only stand back and see what feedback others have given. The inconsistancy in success with this unit still makes me very wary of it.

bennjamin
05-02-2006, 08:37 PM
B series gb's have had decent experiences but D series gb's apparently have had some issues ...maybe have a quick search in http://honda-tech.com/

jimmeh
05-02-2006, 08:55 PM
from what i have read the earlier models had problems with axels getting stuck. but the newer ones seem to be fine

bennjamin
05-02-2006, 09:01 PM
from what i have read the earlier models had problems with axels getting stuck. but the newer ones seem to be fine

yup , it was when the user wanted to pul the diff bak out for whatever reason , the driveshaft locked into place ( i think due to the circle-clip on the driveshaft spline locking into place?)

still , hopefully all is rectified now. Get it and let us knwo how it goes !

Weq
05-02-2006, 10:05 PM
its been rectified. this issue happened a year or 2 back now.

the main thing is, ive never heard of anything blowing one up, or having troubles with it in any other way. They have been used on cars running 140mph traps, so thats good enough in my books.

PS. u might not know, but quaife has had their fair share of problems. i bet alot dont remmeber, but they wernt all perfect, far from it.

Weq
05-02-2006, 10:07 PM
oh and Ben, it was a few b-series box's that had the trouble. even at the time of the manufacturing defect (like 2 yrs ago), the strike rate of getting a bad diff was 1 in 3 or so. And it was a simple fix to rectify the problem also.

locote
05-02-2006, 10:08 PM
sweet ill buy one!!!!!

smoknhothonda
06-02-2006, 03:51 PM
As I havent used a OBX LSD personally, I can state that a lot of their other products are utter rubbish.

I know I would spend the extra on the Quaiffe due to a lifetime warranty, and the fact LSD's are not cheap to install, and then reinstall with new axles!

Let us know how you go with the OBX if you go that way ;)

the main thing is, ive never heard of anything blowing one up, or having troubles with it in any other way. They have been used on cars running 140mph traps, so thats good enough in my books.

PS. u might not know, but quaife has had their fair share of problems. i bet alot dont remmeber, but they wernt all perfect, far from it.

string
06-02-2006, 04:05 PM
As I havent used a OBX LSD personally, I can state that a lot of their other products are utter rubbish.

I know I would spend the extra on the Quaiffe due to a lifetime warranty, and the fact LSD's are not cheap to install, and then reinstall with new axles!

Let us know how you go with the OBX if you go that way ;)
If you are paying someone else to do the work, there should be pretty much no question buying the Quaife unit. Your allready paying through the nose for labour, might aswell go the whole 9 yards and get the more expensive diff.

If you are installing it yourself thats another matter. I plan to buy an OBX b-series lsd when I get my turbo setup running. They are a third of the price, and i've NEVER heard of one busting. Sure, they may have the axel issue, but nothing that can't be overcome in the highly unlikely event it does occur. The chance of one breaking is allready slim, but 3 in the same time as a Quaife.. I can't quite justify spending 3 times the ammount on something which does the same job.

locote
06-02-2006, 04:08 PM
ill be paying same time ill be getting a new clutch and lightweight fly wheel.
kill 3 birbs with 1 stone

[[d a n n y]]
06-02-2006, 04:08 PM
how much are u getting this OBX unit for?

string
06-02-2006, 04:13 PM
ill be paying same time ill be getting a new clutch and lightweight fly wheel.
kill 3 birbs with 1 stone
Are you sourcing the parts yourself or letting them do it?

How much labour are you being charged for clutch and diff change?

bennjamin
06-02-2006, 04:24 PM

yup - ive looked abi mroe into it and it seems the problem lied in that , this OBX unit is a Quaife "copy" so there was small imperfections in casting etc giving the earlier problems. But yeah it seems all good now :)

Might grab one myself...:cool:

locote
06-02-2006, 05:01 PM
OBX LSD is bout 700 bucks.

Weq
06-02-2006, 05:07 PM
i picked mine up for 300usd + ship.

the quaife unit goes for 900usd.

Hmmmmmmm i wonder?

EIther way its gonna be cheaper buying 2 or 3 obx units before a single quaife unit. Im gonna guess my box will blow way before the diff.

I agree everything else made by OBX is crap. im not condoning the brand. Its not like im buying a obx turbo manifold of which 80% break within 6months. THis unit is PROVEN.

locote
06-02-2006, 05:11 PM
what bout OBX vtec cams???
seen heaps of OBX parts for vtec on ebay.
a bloke in AUS stocks Honda aftermarket parts
sells BLOX, OBX, SKUNK2

locote
06-02-2006, 05:12 PM
how does your front tyres handle under boost with the OBX LSD Weq??

jimmeh
06-02-2006, 05:29 PM
how does your front tyres handle under boost with the OBX LSD Weq??

it isnt installed yet

smoknhothonda
10-02-2006, 05:47 PM
If you are paying someone else to do the work, there should be pretty much no question buying the Quaife unit. Your allready paying through the nose for labour, might aswell go the whole 9 yards and get the more expensive diff.

If you are installing it yourself thats another matter. I plan to buy an OBX b-series lsd when I get my turbo setup running. They are a third of the price, and i've NEVER heard of one busting. Sure, they may have the axel issue, but nothing that can't be overcome in the highly unlikely event it does occur. The chance of one breaking is allready slim, but 3 in the same time as a Quaife.. I can't quite justify spending 3 times the ammount on something which does the same job.

As far as I know OBX LSD selll for around $400 USD, and a Quaiffe can be had for $7-800 USD.

saxman
10-02-2006, 06:37 PM
As far as I know OBX LSD selll for around $400 USD, and a Quaiffe can be had for $7-800 USD.
generally more like $350ish for the obx, 9ish for the quaife

SPEEDCORE
10-02-2006, 07:05 PM
If your paying more than $1200-$1300 AUD for the Quaife landed your paying too much.... though prices might have changed now.....

http://www.palmside.co.nz/ Just please don't waste their time if you are not genuinely after a diff!

Don't say I never help you guys out.... :)

Weq
10-02-2006, 09:32 PM
honda's wernt listed on the site?

in the US they go for 900 retail, 800 is a good find. Which is around 1250-1080 not shipped. If that site does sell them locally, for quaife retail, then yes, it would be about what us said..

obx ran me 400aud.

can u get ITR and other LSD's off ebay for like 300usd for b-series? b-series guys have nothing to complain about..... oh u guys hear about the b to d-series transmission plate they are making!! :)

e240
11-02-2006, 12:53 AM
I am using an OBX...and its holding up just great! You really feel its effects especially in the wet.

I did worse actually, used a D series LSD and machined it to fit a B Series Gearbox. Needless to say, my mechanic wasn't impressed.

spardikis
11-02-2006, 07:36 AM
OBX are the "xforce" of new zealand from what i have seen.. Someone mentioned turbo manifolds "cracking" all the time and a few other things... I spoke to the OBX rep in New Zealand at the New Zealand 4 and rota drags a week or so ago... He said the manifolds will crack if u hang giant turbos from them but with smaller units they are fine, - bracing was mentioned if u liked to hang giant sized turbos.. .. Anyway my twenty five cents is go with the diff as Most company's have teething problems when they first start out....

saxman
11-02-2006, 10:10 AM
bah, the manifolds crack regardless of what turbo is on them. It's a result of poor welds and low quality material.

It's worth mentioning that OBX doesn't actually make any parts, they just rebadge and resell, so quality of their parts can vary a whole lot.

spardikis
11-02-2006, 11:07 AM
yeah well know a few guys that have them and they havnt crack'd but yeah no biggie... A

smoknhothonda
12-02-2006, 03:12 PM
$400 AUD for a OBX LSD is a damn good buy! It would certainly be interesting to see how it all goes WEQ! Did you buy this second hand, or from a shop in the US?

There was a trader on hondatech who was selling Quaiffe's for around $7-800 USD around 6-12 months ago, when i was looking for clutch/flywheel combos not sure if he is still selling them at that price though. I do recall him stating that their was a price rise from the manufacturers.

As Saxman stated though, the quality might vary from each unit, coming from a manufacturing industry myself, if the QA procedures in place arent up to scratch it, 1 out of every 50 LSD's could be faulty... Thats the gamble you take i guess!

saxman
12-02-2006, 09:03 PM
As Saxman stated though, the quality might vary from each unit, coming from a manufacturing industry myself, if the QA procedures in place arent up to scratch it, 1 out of every 50 LSD's could be faulty... Thats the gamble you take i guess!
I really was getting more at the fact that the quality of their products varies a lot from model to model. I.e. the lsd's get pretty good reviews, but their turbo manifolds are absolute crap.