PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Installation

KB
05-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Does anyone have any tricks or tips for lining up the clutch assembley properly before torquing down the pressure plate?

Weq
05-02-2006, 12:55 PM
i just got head high with hole and lined it up by sight. there are alignment tools, but i wasnt able to find one.look for a suitable sized socket etc, ive heard of these being used as alignment tools before

KB
05-02-2006, 03:48 PM
thankyou weq

BiGANG
05-02-2006, 04:06 PM
when i blew my first gearbox i cut the input shaft off and used it as a dummy to line up the clutch. Best bet is maybe go to a wrecker, find a blown gearbox and take the input shaft. Thats the best bet. Next best thing is to buy a clutch alignment tool from a tool shop, cost about 20 bux.

ECU-MAN
05-02-2006, 07:30 PM
I allways do it by eye..

allways works

bennjamin
05-02-2006, 08:32 PM
best thing is the actual tool mimicking the inputshaft or an actual input shaft itself (thanks Win :)).

KB
05-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Also one last Q. Am I better off getting another Exedy HD? or just a standard clutch?

Because if it was a standard clutch then perhaps it would of been more inclined to slip rather than bite hard and obliverate itself.

BiGANG
06-02-2006, 08:07 AM
get the exedy heavy duty. It feels heaps better than the stockie. Honda boxes are pretty tough, I wouldnt worry too much about breaking boxes unless your car has a really big snail bolted onto it

fatboyz39
06-02-2006, 08:35 AM
as mention before just get align with the engine and align the clutch up. The alignment tools are useless!!!

BiGANG
06-02-2006, 09:10 AM
as mention before just get align with the engine and align the clutch up. The alignment tools are useless!!!

Alignment tools arent useless. They make sure the job is done properly so splines are correctly lined up and making less work of reinstalling the box. I have used a dummy shaft like i was taught to for every single clutch i have installed and putting the box back in was smooth as. But you wont know unless u try i guess.

ProECU
06-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Kyle,

you know my opinion on exedy clutches.

SPEEDCORE
06-02-2006, 09:55 AM
you know my opinion on exedy clutches.

Kindly share your opinions with us please.....

ProECU
06-02-2006, 10:32 AM
I avoid exedy like the plague.

roar
09-02-2006, 12:58 AM
and why is that? (sorry if it seems i am milking your teats)

barefootbonzai
09-02-2006, 02:29 AM
Probably had one bad experince and now hates them forever!!!!!!muahahahahaha

shmivic
09-02-2006, 07:12 PM

lmfao! :thumbsup:

VT3C
10-02-2006, 04:03 PM
LOL @ simon cause Xtreme Clutches are re-badged Exedy items HAHAHA so if you hate Exedy, you hate your Xtreme also.

what would you RECCOMEND then Pro-Ecu.. I mean you say no Exedy but you dont offer an explanation (substantiated claim) or any option. anyone can say "nah that's shit!"

I'd say whatever clutch you get KB, TAKE NOTICE of the installation instructions and WEAR-IN PROCEEDURE. The Exedy instructions clearly states that you should NOT be hard on the clutch for AT LEAST 1000KMS.. and I DO recall you were doin chirpy's and launches the same day simon installed it.. I left mine for at least 1000 kms before I launched and I havnt had any trouble at all.. if anything my clutch bite is getting firmer and firmer all the time.

barefootbonzai
10-02-2006, 04:13 PM
it's so tempting after it's done though. you must be a patient man to be able to go 1000km before giving it a bit. I hope my clutch doesn't die prematurely

bennjamin
10-02-2006, 04:20 PM

i welcome them like a big mug of chocolate milk. But i say this with an example and reason - when ive had 2 HD exedy's perform well - and heard couintless others using exedy products with no prob...not to say bad things dont happen tho !

Please explain Evan - was it to yourself or to others ?

KB
10-02-2006, 06:43 PM
I actually didn't do chirpies until about 300Kms :P. I think the main factor for the clutch break down was that i didn't get my flywheel machined and had clutch shudder. That plus high rpm changes must of caused it to die.

This time round I got the Stock honda item. Picking up a new pressure plate, clutch disk and throwout baring. I also had the flywheel professionally machined and cleaned, and also purchased a new spigot baring for the flywheel.

I followed the haynes manual like a dog sniffin' ass. Cleaned out the bell housing and cleaned all the bits inside there. Then I greased up everytrhing acording to the manual torquing everything in a criss cross pattern according to spec.

I must say it feels so much better than before, pedal feel is soft, engagement is nice, no shudder at all. Ohh and for everyones information I used my eye when lining up the clutch disc to the flywheel. by making sure i could see the outer rim of the spigot baring whithin the confinds of the spline indents od the disc :).

Thanks for help

shmivic
10-02-2006, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=VT3C]LOL @ simon cause Xtreme Clutches are re-badged Exedy items HAHAHA so if you hate Exedy, you hate your Xtreme also.
QUOTE]

and what do you base this "expert" knowledge on???

xclutch is an entirely different brand to exedy and of much higher quality

ie: rb25det 328rwhp (a friends car) , exedy twin plate properly bedded in etc lasted only 4 low 12 sec passes

same car now with xclutch super single (aussie eqivalent to orc super single) has been running now for almost a year and no sign of slippage

lol @ bede

ProECU
10-02-2006, 07:07 PM
I bought 2 exedy clutches, both were of the organic variety.
proper installation, proper run in.

BOTH slipped almost imediately. The pedal was always VERY high, almost no clutch travel. (i'm told no adjustment in a hydro clutch)

When I asked Brenton about this, they admitted they had some issues with their earlier products.

They're probably a lot better now, but I wont chance it a another time with their oranic discs.

Also, the flywheels they supply are the US Fidanza brands, the ones that are known to shatter.
Personally, if the car is close to stock power, i'd stay with OEM clutch & fly.

Having said all that, I use a ACT Pressure Plate and exedy "ceramic" to hold the power, seems to be fine I guess.

oh btw: every exedy I have had "shudders"... without fail.

Thats just my experience, like anything I guess we need to find these things out for ourselves.