PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted - steering/noise issue.

Mr_will
05-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Ok heres the symptoms -

at lowish speeds (1st, 2nd gears) when cornering, a knocking/tapping noise comes from the engine bay.

- doesnt transmit to steering wheel

- doesnt happen when at same speeds in straight line

- is proportional to speed - ie faster = more frequent knock/tap

Its on a 92 LS teg, and I have shit all idea what it is. any ideas appreciated

|N|
05-02-2006, 01:24 PM
have u checked ur CV boot?

scott1e
05-02-2006, 02:46 PM
I have exactly the same problem mate (which Im getting fixed next week).. I cant be positive but I would say its highly likely one, or both of your CV shafts are broken/braking..

My right CV shaft is broken and all the oil has leaked out so now when turning hardish right I get a clicking sound.. and when turning left a sort of grinding sound (this is the one about to break)

Get them replaced mate, problem is ive been quoted $145 for each shaft, and god knows how much for labour..

Mr_will
05-02-2006, 02:50 PM
hmm if youre having such similar symptoms then you probably are right, although id be kinda pissed off if this is the case, as i get it serviced at my local honda dealer, its been there 3 times since i bought it and theyve never mentioned it...id assume this would be something they would check as it is a reasonably common issue...

would i be expecting to see oil puddles after being parked as a result of this?

cheers for the advice!

|N|
05-02-2006, 03:03 PM
hmm if youre having such similar symptoms then you probably are right, although id be kinda pissed off if this is the case, as i get it serviced at my local honda dealer, its been there 3 times since i bought it and theyve never mentioned it...id assume this would be something they would check as it is a reasonably common issue...

would i be expecting to see oil puddles after being parked as a result of this?

cheers for the advice!

just check the CV boot to inspect for any crack .... or unusual oil leak in that area

scott1e
05-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Mister will I dont think that you would see any oil puddles because it isnt a massive ammount of oil that is in them.. It would likely leak out gradually over time and im not sure that it would make it to the ground as it is (perhaps dripping onto other things...

bennjamin
05-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Mister will I dont think that you would see any oil puddles because it isnt a massive ammount of oil that is in them.. It would likely leak out gradually over time and im not sure that it would make it to the ground as it is (perhaps dripping onto other things...

its not "oil" as such - and wont "leak" out. Its grease , which with intertia ( the wheel spinning while driving) it gradually leaks out and other crap gets lodged in like dirt , sand , rocks etc.

scott1e
05-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Granted.. Im no expert, just going on what I was told by mechanic, and he may well have mentioned it as grease but I interpreted otherwise..

I assume that is your problem anyway..