PDA

View Full Version : intro w/guestion

curtis
05-02-2006, 04:51 PM
hello everybody
i thought i might introduce myself and ask a question at the same time.
for years my life revolved around the gym subculture and really didnt give a shit what car i had to drive around in. for some reason i decided to buy a little stock 91 model honda civic. my mates (who are all into big v8 cars) got in my ear telling me to do this and do that with it, next thing im obsessed with this little civic.
i spend the majority of my down time reading posts in this website and researching honda cars
i have put 17" wheels, lowered springs and suspension, window tint, and full sound system. i am really happy with the car aesthetically.
performance wise i am considering putting a an injected engine into it but this will come in a few years time. i find this forum awsome for research into engine conversions and have learnt alot while doing coversion searches.

my question to the civic gurus is this- my car has a stock twin carby motor, what can i do to this to increase its performance?

thankyou for your time and appreciate any form of communication you have

LowEk
05-02-2006, 05:28 PM
its not worth doing that motor up man save up for a b16 conversion easy and cheap.

ECU-MAN
05-02-2006, 07:03 PM
yeah dude save your $$$ for an EFI convertion

jdmlvn
05-02-2006, 07:09 PM
yeah.. a ef with a b16 engine flyys..because it has mad power to weight ratio.

EGB16A
05-02-2006, 07:14 PM
its not worth doing that motor up man save up for a b16 conversion easy and cheap.
:thumbsup:

Weq
05-02-2006, 09:59 PM
hello. u sound like a nice guy.

for the price of a b16 conversion u could do a turbo d16 (swap in a d16y1) but its upto how handy or dedicated/much research u wanna do :) just throwing a spanner in the mix :0

michael_antoi
05-02-2006, 10:25 PM
welcome to the forums.

u have a few options. as people have discussed. here are some that are available to you.

1. do up your carby..

carby's can be done up to be powerful engines if you know what you're doing. I know barely anything about how carb's work but i've heard good things about 'weber' carby's. Google that might come up with something. I've also heard that ITB's can be done on carb's easier than on efi due to the fact that a tune is not so much a necessity.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong there.

2. Do an engine swap. These can be done relatively cheaply for sohc vtec. My total swap cost me under 1k (just), if you're dedicated to sourcing parts on your own and learning how to do the swap on your own. It was a huge learning curve for me and as stressful as it was i'm glad it did it.

3. Sell the car and get an Si or Vti. These can be had for quite cheap. This would have been an option I would go for but because the car was in an accident, the resale value wouldn't be as good as I want. Say u sell your car for 4 or 5 grand. You could pick up and Si for 6 or 7 grand. Same power as the vti.

Have a think about it.

jimmeh
05-02-2006, 11:53 PM
hello. u sound like a nice guy.

for the price of a b16 conversion u could do a turbo d16 (swap in a d16y1) but its upto how handy or dedicated/much research u wanna do :) just throwing a spanner in the mix :0

i was waitn for u to say this. im trying to convince a friend of mine to turbo his d16y1

curtis
06-02-2006, 01:03 PM
thankyou guys, really appreciate your imput.

sounds like a conversion is the go. im leaning towards this as its the first car ive given any sort of attention to so i will probably go the whole way to get some personal value out of the time and money spent on it.

another question, i have done a heap of google and forum searches trying to find places that deal with engines and half cuts. i have found quite a few numbers, made phone calls (been quated 6500, drive in drive out)etc.

can anybody who knows or has had any first hand experience with engine conversions put me in contact with somebody or companies that i can source quates and further information from?

thankyou for your time.

michael_antoi
06-02-2006, 01:15 PM
try this link

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259

and this also

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14136

[[d a n n y]]
06-02-2006, 01:46 PM
no actually carbies are harder to tune than efi cars
it is actually hard to get the tuning spot on.

Twincam16
06-02-2006, 02:08 PM
carby's are worthwile on a v8... carby + power = time+effort+care = money

money which would be better spent on efi conversion, and will save you money in long run...

iamhappy46
06-02-2006, 04:31 PM
The twin carb motors best modification is using it as a BOAT ANCHOR. There are simple mods that can be done like extractors and 2¼" exhaust, new plugs, air and fuel filters. Best bit is, the extractors + exhaust can be used on the D15B VTEC engine swap :)

Do the D15B VTEC conversion, much cheaper than the B16A engine swap... Have a look at my signature to see what it looks like ;)

curtis
06-02-2006, 06:43 PM
thanks for the link to those threads micheal. i actually had a good look at them before i put this thread up. i just thought id ask the carby question before i jumped straight into the efi engine topic.

boat anchor eh, suppose its good for something then.

engine conversion or engine swap?
what would i need to to to my currant engine in order to complete an engine conversion? i didnt know that a conversion was an option.

what about the D16 SOHC VTEC engine? would this be an option?

thanks again for your time

iamhappy46
07-02-2006, 02:02 PM
I would not bother with your existing engine as engine swaps are about the same amount of work for a much better result.

Just about any D series engine will bolt up to your existing gearbox, CV joints, etc

D16Z6 SOHC VTEC engine is ok, used the the Australian EG VTi Civic and pretty easy to get parts for. If you are able to do most of the labour yourself and bought yourself an EG VTi motor, wiring harness, ECU, EF CRX fuel tank/pump and a few parts, it should cost less than $2000 easily!

curtis
07-02-2006, 06:32 PM
thanks for the info guys.

imhappy- i have just spoken to the guys at honbits and hontoys, they have quated me between 1500 and 2000 for efi engines that have done 120 yo 150 thousand kms. just wondering, (as i have seen what you have done to your civic and want mine pretty much the same) where did you go to get your gear? how many kms was on the engine? and what was the cost?

thanks again.