PDA

View Full Version : Weird clicking sound

Munchkin
06-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Hey,

I am new to this forum, only just recently purchased my car (DC2 Type R). :D

I have noticed this weird click sound when ever I take off. Usually only happens once when taking off then will click again when I brake, seems to only happen when the weight of car is shifted forward or back, doesn't seem to make any difference if I am turning or not. The sound is coming from front of car. Any ideas what could be causing this?

BTW car is 2000 Type R with 80k on clock and is completely stock.

Did quick search on here and the only thing I seem to have found is that it could be worn CV joints?

Cheers,
Matt

EGB16A
06-02-2006, 12:33 PM
does it make a rapid clicking noise when turning corners?

Munchkin
06-02-2006, 02:11 PM
does it make a rapid clicking noise when turning corners?

Nope it's only one click when taking off or braking. Turning steering wheel or cornering doesn't seem to affect it.

BiGANG
06-02-2006, 02:26 PM
it could be a engine mount on the way out.

Munchkin
06-02-2006, 02:59 PM
it could be a engine mount on the way out.

Mmm damn! I better get it to a mechanic n get it checked out..

EGB16A
06-02-2006, 03:50 PM
it could also be something not quite right in the sub frame...
maybe a bush worn out, or even a bolt loose. Just chuck it up on a hoist and see what you can see :D

jaffa_cree
06-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Hey,

I have noticed this weird click sound when ever I take off. Usually only happens once when taking off then will click again when I brake, seems to only happen when the weight of car is shifted forward or back, doesn't seem to make any difference if I am turning or not. The sound is coming from front of car. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Did quick search on here and the only thing I seem to have found is that it could be worn CV joints?

Cheers,
Matt

This sounds very similar to the clicking noise i hear on my car, a 98 Prelude VTIR. You hear this clicking noise to the front right of the car when taking off or slowing down. Generally only occurs in 1st and 2nd as the car picks up speed (e.g. when you release clutch and start to gas). Can be multiple clicks at time.

Read my thread and see if it is the same

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36116

Munchkin
06-02-2006, 05:32 PM
This sounds very similar to the clicking noise i hear on my car, a 98 Prelude VTIR. You hear this clicking noise to the front right of the car when taking off or slowing down. Generally only occurs in 1st and 2nd as the car picks up speed (e.g. when you release clutch and start to gas). Can be multiple clicks at time.

Read my thread and see if it is the same

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36116

Yep sounds similar to my issue.. Mine seems to click once just after i have shifted up or down & and am putting my foot back down to accelerate..

Is LSD meant to make noise when engaging?

pashka
06-02-2006, 05:45 PM
mate i got excectly the same problem
have a look at my thread http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37299

iam gonna call my friend he is a mechnic so ones ill find out what is it ill let u know guys

Bluish
06-02-2006, 05:49 PM
i had this problem a year ago when i got my sound system installed with poor grounding. Looks like is coming from the front of the car , only when u accelerate and slow down, just louder repeated mouse click sound?

Do you have Sound System(Amp/splits/sub) installed? worth ask the mechanic to check this for you as well.

jaffa_cree
06-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Get some one else to drive your car.

When i got my dad to drive it, the clicking noise didnt appear and when it rarely did it was much softer. So maybe it was the way i was driving seeing i was new to the car.

I am still paranoid though because it happens everytime i start off in 1st and occasionally in 2nd when i upshift or downshift.

I have stock stereo so doubt it can be an electrical related issue.
Though i will be very interested if someone gets a diagnosis from a mechanic.

Munchkin
06-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Get some one else to drive your car.

When i got my dad to drive it, the clicking noise didnt appear and when it rarely did it was much softer. So maybe it was the way i was driving seeing i was new to the car.

I am still paranoid though because it happens everytime i start off in 1st and occasionally in 2nd when i upshift or downshift.

I have stock stereo so doubt it can be an electrical related issue.
Though i will be very interested if someone gets a diagnosis from a mechanic.

Yer i have stock sound system as well. Will get someone else to have a drive n see if it still happens..

pashka
06-02-2006, 06:26 PM
just spoke to my mate and he said most likely its a cv joint so .......i guess ill take the car to his place to let him look at it and we'll see what is it:)

jaffa_cree
06-02-2006, 07:29 PM
just spoke to my mate and he said most likely its a cv joint so .......i guess ill take the car to his place to let him look at it and we'll see what is it:)

I doubt it is CV joints, but then again i aint no mechanic.
Reason i think it is not CV's are the noise is also apparent on straights.

Cartoon
06-02-2006, 08:18 PM
i gto the same problem i belive its my cv join to
when i turn it clicks to but only from standing start.
1st and 2nd gear in a stright line and when im back off in lower gears.

Im 100% its a CV i cant see anything else it would be

Mugen_B16B
06-02-2006, 08:47 PM
I just started getting some loud rattling noise when i take off slowly and in gear 2 aswell at low revs. It only started happening after i got my wheel alignment.

bennjamin
06-02-2006, 10:01 PM
I just started getting some loud rattling noise when i take off slowly and in gear 2 aswell at low revs. It only started happening after i got my wheel alignment.

do u have aftermarket (lowered) springs ?

Mugen_B16B
06-02-2006, 11:11 PM
do u have aftermarket (lowered) springs ?

Nopes, everything is stock. Its just a loud vibrating noise on the front left hand side (EG Hatch) when i take off slowly.. around 1-2k rpm.

jaffa_cree
07-02-2006, 04:48 PM

i gto the same problem i belive its my cv join to
when i turn it clicks to but only from standing start.
1st and 2nd gear in a stright line and when im back off in lower gears.

Im 100% its a CV i cant see anything else it would be

Are you going to get the CV replaced?
If so please report back and let us know if it solved your problem.

barefootbonzai
07-02-2006, 05:04 PM
I think it's the LSD engaging by what you described. I too got this noise in my car too. It's only a slight clink on initial take off.

And my driveshafts are new, and gearbox just rebuilt with new syncros and bearings.

Munchkin
07-02-2006, 05:10 PM
I think it's the LSD engaging by what you described. I too got this noise in my car too. It's only a slight clink on initial take off.

And my driveshafts are new, and gearbox just rebuilt with new syncros and bearings.

Yep sounds like that.. Also sometimes when I change into 2nd and put foot back down to accelerrate. Also happens when changing down from 3rd to 2nd will make clink/click sound. Does this mean there is something wrong with LSD or is this normal?

jaffa_cree
07-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Why would the LSD be engaging though?
It is a simple straight line take off with all 4 wheels on the ground.

jaffa_cree
09-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Any updates from the people who had their car looked at by their mechanic?
Was the problem solved, if so what caused it?

Munchkin
10-02-2006, 07:34 AM
Any updates from the people who had their car looked at by their mechanic?
Was the problem solved, if so what caused it?

Haven't had a chance to get mine looked at yet. :-( Will have to take it in next week sometime..

MRJDM
12-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Mate Check you break caliper and cheak if it has abnormal play in it..
if the clicking sounds anything like when you go into reverse and the caliper shifts abit then that would be you problem

tinkerbell
12-02-2006, 10:04 AM
my car makes the same noise.

but only since i did an engine swap and had the driveshafts out.

once back together, the RHS inner boot started leaking the grease, then a month or two later the noise started...

now it is quite bad, and i am going to replace the driveshafts.

BUT my point is that it ONLY started after the grease came out.

check around your driveshaft boots for black grease, cause driveshafts *should* last way more than 80'000km...

HTH :)

civiceg9
12-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Hey,

Cheer
Matt

I think is the inner CV join
it wouldn't click when u turn. but under power etc u will hear a clicking sound.
Tigten all engine mounts and bolts, and try again. Best if you can get someone to check it before replacing everything.

civiceg9
12-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Nopes, everything is stock. Its just a loud vibrating noise on the front left hand side (EG Hatch) when i take off slowly.. around 1-2k rpm.

Left hand inner CV join, you will need a new CV or a rebuilt (get a new one as is not that much more expensive )

jaffa_cree
12-02-2006, 11:33 AM
I think is the inner CV join
it wouldn't click when u turn. but under power etc u will hear a clicking sound.
Tigten all engine mounts and bolts, and try again. Best if you can get someone to check it before replacing everything.

Thats it.
When i turn it has no noise, but taking off in 1st and shifting into 2nd the car sometimes jerk a little because i am still new to manual. The jerk is a sign of not enough gas or letting clutch out too early which means under power. And it is usually at that moment that i hear the clicking sound.

Are replacements of inner CV joins are big expensive job?

If it is the inner CV joints, would prolong driving damage other areas?

civiceg9
12-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Thats it.
When i turn it has no noise, but taking off in 1st and shifting into 2nd the car sometimes jerk a little because i am still new to manual. The jerk is a sign of not enough gas or letting clutch out too early which means under power. And it is usually at that moment that i hear the clicking sound.

Are replacements of inner CV joins are big expensive job?

If it is the inner CV joints, would prolong driving damage other areas?

I usually replace it with a new one, not a big job as it usual wear and tear item.

I prolong driving will probably make it wear more faster and the vibration would make the engine mounting and other bolts lose.
Just get it change so that it doesn't annoy u everytime u drive the car.
Let the mechanic have a look at it as they can see and tell you what needs to be replace.

SKREMN
12-02-2006, 02:17 PM
my car did that and it was aftermarket pads that fitted where a little loose in the caliper they where a tiny bit smaller then stock and would rattle around in there some of that red glue for the pads help stop it
since i have changed pads and now the noise is gone
only ever did it on acceleration and when i used brake

spanks
14-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Is a common problem is ALL model Hondas that the brake pad shifts in the caliper mounting brakets.I cut a piece of brake pad anti squeal shims,hammer them flatter and shape to fit.This always works and doesn't hold the pad to tightly that the pads are holding position after the pedal has been released..

jaffa_cree
14-02-2006, 05:34 PM
my car did that and it was aftermarket pads that fitted where a little loose in the caliper they where a tiny bit smaller then stock and would rattle around in there some of that red glue for the pads help stop it

Wondering whether it could be brake pads. I have DBA slotted pads.
My clicking noise only ever occurs when i accelerate or take foot off accelerator abruptly, never on braking.

jaffa_cree
14-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Is a common problem is ALL model Hondas that the brake pad shifts in the caliper mounting brakets.I cut a piece of brake pad anti squeal shims,hammer them flatter and shape to fit.This always works and doesn't hold the pad to tightly that the pads are holding position after the pedal has been released..

If this is the issue then great as it isnt a problem at all.
Going to take my car to a mechanic this weekend so i hope they can give me a diagnosis.

jaffa_cree
18-02-2006, 08:43 AM

Took it to my trusted mechanic today, and boy did it take awhile for him to find the problem. When he drove it he couldnt make the noise appear, so i had to drive it to show him.

Onto the hoist it went, all nuts and bolts tightened, suspension checked and he still couldnt find the source. Eventually he found what he thought was the source, and it is as SKREMN described.

The after market slotted brake pad didnt fit fully into the calipers hence there was some forward movement. So basically every now and then it will fall out of place and cause the clicking sound. But i was really relieved to hear it wasnt a major problem or safety issue.

So does that mean once i change the pads the sound should disappear?

tinkerbell
18-02-2006, 08:54 AM
glad it was something simple... :)

SKREMN
18-02-2006, 09:45 AM
good to hear i was right
you can get this glue kinda stuff that you put on the back of the pad that sticks it to the caliper its a soft gewy stuff not shure what its called
this reduced the problem but still was slightly there after a while

jaffa_cree
18-02-2006, 10:42 AM
good to hear i was right
you can get this glue kinda stuff that you put on the back of the pad that sticks it to the caliper its a soft gewy stuff not shure what its called
this reduced the problem but still was slightly there after a while

Did the noise go away after you replaced the pads?
I forgot to ask the mechanic was it a problem with the pads itself or was it the caliper.

Does that mean i should get OEM brake pads next time so that they will fit firmly and not make this annoying sound no more?

SKREMN
18-02-2006, 11:21 AM
i got told it was the pads
i never changed the pads i upgraded to bigger calipers and rotors

Munchkin
28-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Took it to my trusted mechanic today, and boy did it take awhile for him to find the problem. When he drove it he couldnt make the noise appear, so i had to drive it to show him.

Onto the hoist it went, all nuts and bolts tightened, suspension checked and he still couldnt find the source. Eventually he found what he thought was the source, and it is as SKREMN described.

The after market slotted brake pad didnt fit fully into the calipers hence there was some forward movement. So basically every now and then it will fall out of place and cause the clicking sound. But i was really relieved to hear it wasnt a major problem or safety issue.

So does that mean once i change the pads the sound should disappear?

Ok so I FINALLY got my car down to a mechanic to get it checked out. Have same problem as above with brake pads. Apparently the spring that holds them in place may be loose. He said it is not anything serious and change of brake pads should fix problem.. :D

zco
28-02-2006, 09:10 AM
i had thsi problem. but it was my wheelnuts

Munchkin
28-02-2006, 09:12 AM
i had thsi problem. but it was my wheelnuts

They did that for me as well.. Helped a bit.. Noise is still there ocassionally. Is good to know there is nothing major wrong but!

Mystic_Integra
13-01-2007, 04:11 PM
[quote=jaffa_cree;594583]This sounds very similar to the clicking noise i hear on my car, a 98 Prelude VTIR. You hear this clicking noise to the front right of the car when taking off or slowing down. Generally only occurs in 1st and 2nd as the car picks up speed (e.g. when you release clutch and start to gas). Can be multiple clicks at time.

i have a 91 teg LS an i justed rotated my tyres from rear to front, coz my fronts wer wearing abit, anyways...after doing so...i noticed my front right makes a weird thumping sound..an i feel it abit in my pedals, well only in my clutch an brake, but i cant hear the problem while im driving coz ma car 2 loud..lol, but pretty much well im rolling along wen parkin or in a slow gear...
so i put in a test....
i was going down a hill and i put it in netural an heard the sound 4 sure..that wasnt der b4...i make no sound or problem when turing either.

i had my radiator service the other month, and before that i had my starter motor reconditioned and lik nearly a year ago now, i had my driveshafts replaced and i think my outer cv's on both sides.
i read this fault could b brake pads, engine mounts, or other mounts...this so???
coz i checkd the tyre and it seem to b putt on fine etc...wat else?any other info would b great, thanks.