PDA

View Full Version : JDM dc5R review

Breeze
06-02-2006, 09:51 PM
I was asked to do a write up of my JDM DC5R when I first got it.

Background - I moved to NZ and hunted high and low for a good JDM DC5R. Finally found one, CW 2002 with less than 20,000kms on it.

I have owned it for 3 months now.

Looks-

The DC5R shape is a bit of a love hate thing, I gotta say I think it is acceptable with the jap wheels and sitting 15mm lower than the Aus/NZ domestic models. I don't really like the wing. When moving the thing looks very good. Love the HID front lights and the bright back lights.

Handling-

F#ck this thing is jiggly. Every little bump is transferred into the cabin. Freeway stuff is a bit uncomfortable and the springs are hard. Get it on a winding road and it is awesome! The rear sway bar is huge and punting it hard into a roundabout or sharp bend will give you quite sharp oversteer. Gave me a bit of a shock to find such oversteer in a FWD. If you are game to keep your foot on the accelerator it is a point and shoot car but you have to keep your foot buried. The LSD works great. Bumps mid corner tend to unsettle the car a fair bit. The road noise isn't too offensive on the highway though the drivetrain noise and tyre noise is noticable. Rattles and noises are currently non existent despite the stiff suspension.

Engine and box-
When I first got the car I hadn't had a 6 speed before and the choice of gears could be a bit confusing. The gears are closely spaced and at about 100km/hr in 6th the car is pushing on 4000rpms. Because of this you get good accelleration in practically every gear except first between 60-100kms.

Initially I was shortshifting up but now it is generally short shifting down. Third being one of the most usefull gears. Come into a roundabout, knock out of sixth into 3rd and nail it. It picks up its skirts and drags you round the roundabout.:thumbsup:

The shift is smooth and mechanical. A great snick snick with minimum effort.

The motor is great, good on fuel, very tractable all round. The light flywheel is very noticable when moving from a standstill. I did stall it a few times:rolleyes: . If you don't take it to the very top of first then you miss vtec in 2nd. This is not a drag car though even though it can head off quickly. When I say it is not a drag car you have to get everything right and then some. Not like a big torque monster auto you just drop your foot down with.

You just get to 100km/hr at the top of second so I guess the 0-100 in 5.7 could be acheived.

I have taken the car for a number of trips on some good roads and I have found myself having a lot of fun. I am off for a track day with a couple of other DC5R owners and a few renault clio sport owners. It should be ineresting.

Differences to AusDM Car-

I have taken a NZDM car for a spin and the obvious points are Brembos, bigger wheels, alloy lower control arms, proper K20A. Then there are the subtleties. The sway bars are bigger, it rides 15mm lower the spring rates are higher, the exhaust is completely different, there are folding mirrors etc. The HiDs are great. The NZ car didn't have the same poke down low and was actually smoother to drive (the higher comp and on/off throttle can really get the thing hopping about). The jap car has no rear parcel shelf but mine is a C pack (folding mirrors, smoked glass, rear wiper) and the tint is so dark you have to cup your hands to see into the back. The brakes are very good but feel somewhat over biased toward the front. As the car is a bit tail happy anyway this is probably to reduce the chance of tail out spins when braking round corners.

Practicality-

For a coupe there is a lot of rear leg room and the kids are happy with that. The boot is also bloody enormous. The car is good on fuel even when you get a bit trigger happy. The seats fold down well for an even larger boot area. The front seats don't fold overly well and they can get uncomfortable on long drives (but this car is not really about long drives). The stock pads dust like a bastard. One drive with little to no braking will have the front wheels a dark shade of grey after you have just washed it. The side of the car gets the "just gone down a mountain pass" look very quickly. I would say the brake ducts help funnel the brake dust out onto the wheels and the side of the car.

Mods-

I was going to keep this thing stock as it is a great car. I got a 5Zigen exhaust with the car and just put it on Yesterday. I have to say it produced a very large grin. I don't think it goes any harder but boy it sounds good! I just missed a mugen airbox but will mod a stock one and then keep an eye out for a gruppeM. I understand the spoon progressives are very good and may consider them. The last thing on the list (was actually the first on the list) is a Kpro and tune. Bit of cost with that one though.

Overall -

What a blast! A great car that does everything well (except for carting passengers long distances). I am sure I will like it a lot more after taking it to the track.

Sending to Aus -

In nine months I will be upgrading and possibly sending to Aus. The prices for these are still good here (NZ) and in Japan they are selling well because the UK can't get enough of them 15-20K pounds over there when a 97 BMW M3 is around 6K pounds. I assume the most I could get for it in Aus would be about $40K and that is pushing it, more like $30-35. With tax and shipping I will be spending probably over $10K. So this one may not end up in Aus after all.

PICS at
http://www.itr-dc5.com/gallery/showprofile.php?uid=1893

R123
06-02-2006, 10:23 PM
ThanX dude.... been waitting for this kind of reviews in AGES.... er.. there are some one in melbourne got the jap sepc but they didnt write a review like that. Really appearciate of all your input.

Now second of all, as a AUDM dc5 owner, i truely madly deeply wants some one whom had driven the two and give a account for the difference on the road. Most of us knew the difference on paper but if you got some spare times mate, i would luv to hear something like that from u.

Many many thans

nastyazn694u
06-02-2006, 11:44 PM
wow, very nice review mate. wish i had one >.<

Integra
07-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Very good write up! it was really interesting to read! Should post some pics!

EuroAccord13
07-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Great write up..

Moving to the Reviews Department :)

Andys
07-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Thats it, I'm moving to NZ :P

VTECfreak
07-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Good review! Didn't think JDM DC5Rs did 0-100 in 5.7 secs tho? 6.7 sounds more reasonable, since it only has 15kw more than our Aus DC5Rs.

My DC5R hits the limiter just before 100km/h, around 96km/h. Would love to be able to rev that extra 500 rpm and not have to change into 3rd for 100!

One thing i want to know is, does the JDM have Brembos at the rear as well or only the front?

Breeze
07-02-2006, 05:25 PM
The rear callipers are single spots and use the standard rear brake pads. They are red though and are alloy instead of cast iron. They weigh 1.3kgs.

I had a quick look at the specs according to the UK DC5ITR site. They say the stock specs are 14.3s 0-400m and 6.2s 0-100. Who cares, as I say, not a drag car but a very involving and rewarding drive.

R123
11-02-2006, 10:19 PM
man..... did u found the !st gear is abit short?