PDA

View Full Version : Oil Abit Over Full

xcwizit
07-02-2006, 12:09 AM
SUp guys,
Can having my oil tank abit over full be a problem with the car? :confused:

Can having a full tank cause your car to use more petrol, thus not get enough kms out of the your full petrol tank? :confused:

THanks guys!! :D

e240
07-02-2006, 12:35 AM
SUp guys,

Can having a full tank cause your car to use more petrol, thus not get enough kms out of the your full petrol tank? :confused:

How much over is it?
I'm guilty of running too much oil too. 5mm over the top mark on the dipstick.
Maybe one day I'll drain it... :-p

EGB16A
07-02-2006, 07:30 AM
SUp guys,

If you have a little to much oil, it shouldn't be much of an issue (depending on how much over full it is)

fuel ecconomy shouldn't be affected

chameleon
07-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Fuel economy could be effected if the crank shaft is constantly in oil.... too much drag.

With me i do notice a decrease in economy if i overfill a few mm over the upper limit.

i suggest just fill to the top marker.

blitz_euro
07-02-2006, 09:24 PM
If you over fill your engine with too much oil, this can cause the piston rings to wear and if this happens pretty much the engine will need to be rebuilt.

I've done this before on my 180, i used a really thin oil and thought it was not topping up so i poured a bit more in and next thing i noticed was my piston rings wore out and the whole engine needed to be rebuilt.

Zdster
07-02-2006, 09:52 PM
As others have said, are we talking a little over or alot over?

ECU-MAN
07-02-2006, 10:56 PM
if its 2mm over then drain it to the corect level.

this can also cause oil leaks

xcwizit
07-02-2006, 11:15 PM
oh sorry guys..
mines just abit abit over. Probably 2mm over the full mark on the dipstick. Il probably drain it a lil. C&D's (car tuning place in BRAYBROOK, Melb.West) said always have it just beneath full!!

Cheers guys!!

ECU-MAN
08-02-2006, 08:10 PM
id rather have it on the dot, and not under

elim
13-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Can someone confirm when is best for checking dipstick ? (when car is completely cold or when it's warmed up for 10 mins etc )

xcwizit
13-02-2006, 11:59 AM
i hear its best to check when car is cold, so all the oil is down . but my dads mechanic said that wen its hot, so wen the oil is moved around in there, it should show full as well on the dipstick!!

elim
13-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah I've been told different things.

Thanks for your help dude.

DomenEK
13-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Can someone confirm when is best for checking dipstick ? (when car is completely cold or when it's warmed up for 10 mins etc )

When you fill up your car, check your oil AFTER you've filled up and paid, and maybe cleaned your windscreen. This gives your oil a chance to drain back into the sump to give you a better indication of your oil levels.

blitz_euro
13-02-2006, 12:18 PM
The best is when cold as this gives true indication on oil level as it has settled all the way to the bottom. When its hot it would have moved around etc and will not give you the correct readings.

civiceg9
13-02-2006, 12:19 PM
I check when is cold until it reach the upper mark on the dip stick
a bit over is ok but not too much.

n/a
01-04-2006, 11:58 PM
so hot or cold?

i check mine when the temp is ready normal, and i turn the car off, wait around 10mins and then check it while the engine is still warm.

Benson
02-04-2006, 08:25 AM
best to check when it is COLD!

elim
02-04-2006, 08:53 AM
mixed answers, guys at hanny's told me to warm it up, shut it off and check the dipstick in a few minutes time.

T-onedc2
02-04-2006, 08:57 AM
mixed answers, guys at hanny's told me to warm it up, shut it off and check the dipstick in a few minutes time.
That's what i've always done with my cars, if you top it up you should run for a few min to circulate then turn off for a few min then check. Don't be in a rush and take shortcuts as it could cost you more than a little time in the end.

Garage-R
02-04-2006, 11:51 AM
If you use way to much oil and I mean say 5-10mm above the line and start giving your Honda "What for" you run a chance on poping a few seals ie cam seals and crank shaft seals due to to much pressure I did it in one of my old AH's about a month ago, it had a cracked ring but it still whent hard so I took it to the track and toped the oil up cause I knew it would burn it up asap and it ended poping a cam seal, I was hitting 7000 rpm and pissing oil out from the top, it wasnt that bad and the old girl got me home.

when we service Honda's we always fill jast past the line 5mm then start the car up for 1 min then shut off, wait 2 min and check level then top up just past the line,
(this method only works when replacing the oil filter as well)

thats what Honda Aus Recomend and how it is done through every dealership

turtleEK1
02-04-2006, 10:19 PM
not sure if it would make a big deal, but i always put in abit more oil in so that when i race out on track it has more chance of being collected by the oil pump while going around hard corners... i know, thats what baffle sumps are for... but just been told that this works fine!

yet, are you guys just talking about daily driving levels?

tanalasta
14-06-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm surprised they haven't built a more tolerant "safety" limit into the dipstick measurement to make it harder for people to overfill.

Mine's just over the 'dot' by several mm. It's hard to measure it exactly as it's new oil and there's a thin smear that ends just above the dot and a thicker smear below. Hmmms... it was just serviced today!

Measured after a good 15 minute test-drive on the freeway, stopped ... filled up half tank of BP ultimate before checking the dipstick.

aaronng
14-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Mine was also 5-7mm above max when cold. I went under to drain the oil out. It's quite irritating. I think they do that so that if the engine burns any oil, the oil level won't be lower than minimum by the next service interval.

CUL8R
14-06-2006, 11:53 PM
i heard the best time is when cold, top up, close up the cap then turn on the engine, leave it for 20 seconds and turn it off.
then take out the dipstick, clean it, stick it in and measure.

aaronng
15-06-2006, 12:26 AM
If you run your engine, turn off and take a reading straight away, the oil is still in the galleries and you'll read a low level on your dipstick.

chicken8
15-06-2006, 02:13 AM
i heard if ur dipstick isnt in properly or if u have no dipstick and u drive around the oil will bubble out of the dip stick tube thingy

any truth to it?

aaronng
15-06-2006, 02:33 AM
I haven't tested it.... but with the K series, the dipstick goes down one of the galleries. Opposite to the old F22 engine where the dipstick tube goes down directly to the sump. Since it goes down the gallery and oil is meant to circulate to the top through the galleries, I guess it would come out of the dipstick hole.

tanalasta
15-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Is half a cm over (maybe about 500mL?) okay for an Euro with a capacity of 4.2L? That's what it looks like on my dipstick.

Except I don't have a proper jack and tools so I can't really drain it. And Honda probably will charge me way too much just for an oil drain (it's a bit embarassing a day after a service)

ECU-MAN
15-06-2006, 06:12 PM
you should always check the engine oil after you just turned the engine off.

the longer you wait the more oil leaks down from the upper engine and gives you the incorect reading.

aaronng
15-06-2006, 06:32 PM
you should always check the engine oil after you just turned the engine off.

the longer you wait the more oil leaks down from the upper engine and gives you the incorect reading.
Arent you meant to check the level after a while?

ECU-MAN
15-06-2006, 06:32 PM
nope ..

aaronng
15-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Hmm, what I've learnt is that if you check the engine oil level when the oil is still in the galleries, you will see a lower level and top up your oil. Once it is topped up, the oil in the galleries continue to return to the sump and there is a possibility that you have exceeded the max level. And if it exceeds too much and the crank hits the oil, then it starts to foam and doesn't provide protection...

Well, at least that's what I learned.

ECU-MAN
15-06-2006, 07:02 PM
if you have to wait a while to check the engine oil, Honda would be pretty specific about how long that while is. ( like AT oil - within 10 sec of key off )

honda performance engines have a splash guard under the crank to prevent what you have mentioned above.

I stand by checking it as soon as you turned the engine off.

worked for me for over 10 years :)

aaronng
15-06-2006, 07:14 PM
if you have to wait a while to check the engine oil, Honda would be pretty specific about how long that while is. ( like AT oil - within 10 sec of key off )

honda performance engines have a splash guard under the crank to prevent what you have mentioned above.

I stand by checking it as soon as you turned the engine off.

worked for me for over 10 years :)
Ah, okok. But will the splash guard protect against overfilling?

Reason why I"m asking is because the dealer keeps filling it about 5-10mm above the maximum hole. This has happened consistently, so maybe I am using a different method to checking oil level...

tanalasta
15-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Checked my oil level within 5 minutes (after taking some pretty nice pics of my Euro) of returning home from work and it was a good cm lower than what it was when I checked it yesterday! Now I know I couldn't have burnt that much oil in a day :P

Limbo
16-06-2006, 12:38 AM
unless your leaking oil somewhere

BLKek
16-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Does oil expand under hot temperatures (I know it changes density), or has it been developed not to?

I'd always check when cold, its what my grandfather taught me, he used to build hot rods so I trust him...

aaronng
16-06-2006, 02:05 PM
It does expand a bit. Accord to my father (diploma in automotive mechanics), whether you check it when cold or after it has drained for 5 minutes, they are roughly the same because of the oil expanding when hot and contracting when cold. But he does say that he waits for 2-5 minutes.

twing
16-06-2006, 04:42 PM
The best way to check oil level is in the your car manual. Spend some time reading manual. It has so many good tips. eg. when to shift for good fuel economy. If you don't have it, borrow from someone else...

ECU-MAN
16-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Ah, okok. But will the splash guard protect against overfilling?

depends on how over full it is

there is a limit to how overfull you can go before oil in the sump will sit to high when the engine is running.

I dont know what that limit is.

I religiuosly set the oil to the top dot after servicing a car and recheck it after road testing.

seems to work ok.

Limbo
16-06-2006, 05:10 PM
i seem to be having a prob getting the setting of oil right also, my posts on the Tech side but my problem seems to be coming from an oil cooler install.

ECU-MAN can you comment on my thread also plz

aaronng
16-06-2006, 05:28 PM
depends on how over full it is

there is a limit to how overfull you can go before oil in the sump will sit to high when the engine is running.

I dont know what that limit is.

I religiuosly set the oil to the top dot after servicing a car and recheck it after road testing.

seems to work ok.
Ahh, ok. Good too know that my dealer overfilling by that little bit won't do damage. Thanks ECU-MAN!

Limbo
16-06-2006, 07:27 PM
guys sorry to burst the bubble but i did some goggling cos i got confused. At the Clubrsx site they told me i was supose to check the oil whilst the car was settled for a while so i did a search.
All these sites tell me to check after a while or even in the morning which is overkill i think.

Have a read!

http://www.suntimes.com/classified/autos/faqs/diy_maint.html

http://www.is-it-a-lemon.com/make/toyota/engine_oil.htm

http://www.wheels.daytondailynews.com/daytondailynews/content/straighttalk/2006/straighttalk030606.html

Limbo
16-06-2006, 07:48 PM
alright now i've done something that i haven't done for along time. I had a look in the car manual. Honda say to wait a few minutes after turning your car off before you checking your engine level

P.S Arronng You were right, you deserve some Rep for that, and i'll give myself a pat on the back for not just going with the flow.

Apparently the measure of the oil is how much is in the crank, so you need to let the oil settle back to the crank area. Thus give it about 5mins.

I've gone and taken the oil out for the 4th time now. After about 5mins its just on full. On hot take its about 2-3mm below the max line.
I think that should make the car less sluggish.