PDA

View Full Version : D16a8 turbo or n/a ?

geo41e
10-04-2004, 12:39 AM
Hey,I've been searchin the threads, and can't find that help.

What is a better bang for buck AND reliable?
Turbo the civic si, or N/A

What can you do to make the d16a8 go harder via N/A ?
How much for N/A stuff or Turbo stuff.??

From sydney,

cheers

wynode
10-04-2004, 01:01 AM
bang for buck = turbo

As for reliability anything more than 6psi DAILY and you are pushing it IMO

McChook
10-04-2004, 01:08 AM
Well, I am the opposite.
GO NA!!!

wynode
10-04-2004, 01:24 AM
Yes, but staying NA won't give you the best bang for buck.

McChook
10-04-2004, 01:27 AM
Not necessarily.
It all depends on how you do things.
$5-6000 on a turbo, or the same on a NA B20/16... depends on how you drive as well I guess. If you like to go fastin a straight line, go turbo. If you like corners, stick to NA.

It all depends on what you want to bang

wynode
10-04-2004, 01:31 AM
Well he did say d16a8 turbo or n/a so i'm assuming he is not opting to go for a b20.

McChook
10-04-2004, 01:40 AM
Possibly, but I think if you are prepared to spend that sort of money, an engine conversion shouldn't be so far out of your thoughts. My opinion, but I do say, keep your options open.

In the end, it comes down to personal preferences. What you want to drive, what you like to fel, how you like to drive, where you like to drive, and your own ideals.

Me personally, Hondas are meant, and will probably always be, FWD and NA. It works. It isn;t as restrictive as some narrow minds will have you believe.

wynode
10-04-2004, 01:47 AM
Excatly, and we all know you don't like turbo honda's matt (points to sig), but just look at the original subject and it doesn't mention anything about an engine swap.
He merely asked whether to turbocharge his D16A8 or keep it N/A. So untill he says otherwise it is cheaper for him to turbocharge his 1.6L to make more power than staying N/A.

-Win

McChook
10-04-2004, 01:56 AM
Tell me, how much can you go turbo for these days?? Any change from $4000 on a decent 2nd hand kit?? I really don't know, not my area of interest...

Is the issue money? Well no, if you have the money, the only important thing is what you do with it. Right??

Should the question be
Turbo or Normally aspirated? I have a D16a8, which delivers best bang for buck? Does it matter how I achieve either result?? engine swap or not??

I just wanted to open up the door. Is it about keeping the same engine?? It shouldn't always be about keeping the standard engine. If it is "bang for buck, turbo or NA?", then why restrict it to stock engine....

I hope you see what I am getting at here. Hard to explain....

If the question is - "I have to keep my D16a8, should I go turbo or NA on bang for buck??" then the turbo option is most certainly going to be a better option (for most, not myself, I have the resources) due to little off the shelf products stil made for the engine in NA form....

The question asked can change the answer given

It is not that I am agaist turbos - just take a look at my garage and avatar. There is a time and a place remember.

wynode
10-04-2004, 02:22 AM
I hope you see what I am getting at here. Hard to explain....

How am I to understand if you can't express yourself clearly?

Mate, i'm not sure what you are on but all i read was a bunch of rhetorical questions in your post.

For say 4-5K you would make more power with a turbo setup than you would in NA form. With around 5K you can get upto double factory power at the wheels with a turbo setup. Try doing that NA for the same price

Edit: typo

punhatch
10-04-2004, 02:25 AM
[quote]

For say 4-5K you would make more money with a turbo setup than you would in NA form. With around 5K you can get upto double factory power at the wheels with a turbo setup. Try doing that NA for the same price

I agree with that. At least i feel it that way. :D

EG5
10-04-2004, 07:36 AM
i will go turbo if you are chasing good quater mile time , as i did help on m's racing EF7 crx zc turbo powered .. it did hit 12.9 sec down the quater mile at meremere-Auckland back in 1998
stock internal was used. blew up the engine after 5 race.

McChook
10-04-2004, 09:47 AM
For say 4-5K you would make more power with a turbo setup than you would in NA form. With around 5K you can get upto double factory power at the wheels with a turbo setup. Try doing that NA for the same price

Double factory power output with 4-5K in NA

Easy - A stock D16A8 only makes about 50fwkw. So, aim would be a 100fwkw in NA... I can do an H22a engine conversion for $3,500 ( I could do it myself cheaper, but a fair price). I can port, shim, match and take a layer off the head gasket for $900, and there's my 100+fwkw, and I spent the same amount of money.

Is the target HOW you achieve NA power (engine conversions to better NA engines), or must everyone stick with underpowered D-series engines. It is unfair to compare turboing a D16A8 to NA modifying a D16A8, it just doesn't make any sense at all.

[[d a n n y]]
10-04-2004, 09:50 AM
just shut up man..

turbo is seriuzly more cheaper than going N/A

and he said on a ZC not a friken h22a

read the topic bro..

Chi
10-04-2004, 09:54 AM
LOL, Matt aka Mr NA seems to be goign a bit overboard, but then thats Mcchook for you.

But imho, I would get a b16a or b18c, more easier to give it a sleeper disguise and dun waste as much petrol if you are using it for daily driving.

But if you want to keep that engine then go boosted, my friend is currently in the process of deciding how to boost his d16a gen 2 crx and he is in syd, mabe u and him can help each other out .

McChook
10-04-2004, 09:57 AM
My question is, why does it have to be a zc... same money, why keep it?

geo41e
10-04-2004, 10:46 AM
LOL thanxx guyz, but i didn't mean you two to start a fight...sorry lol

Anyways, Seems like turbo has better bang for buck, and yes, I'm gonna stick with the D16a8. I'd love to put the B18C, but I rekon I'll get more outta the turbo.

Where can I get a turbo kit from? What brand Is good for value, and not too expensive? How much do the kits go for with installation and tuning>? Any member discounts here? Thanks again guyz.

Oh yeah, McChook, I love N/A cars, I love the engine tone and note, but io rekon my little EG would be crazy with the turbo. I rekon the type Rs are crazy for N/A.

Cheers

McChook
10-04-2004, 10:50 AM
ADVAN Silverwater. $4-5K

:roll:

Chi
10-04-2004, 10:54 AM
You're a stubborn guy mcchook, should be a politician lol

[[d a n n y]]
10-04-2004, 10:56 AM
LOL thanxx guyz, but i didn't mean you two to start a fight...sorry lol

Anyways, Seems like turbo has better bang for buck, and yes, I'm gonna stick with the D16a8. I'd love to put the B18C, but I rekon I'll get more outta the turbo.

Where can I get a turbo kit from? What brand Is good for value, and not too expensive? How much do the kits go for with installation and tuning>? Any member discounts here? Thanks again guyz.

Oh yeah, McChook, I love N/A cars, I love the engine tone and note, but io rekon my little EG would be crazy with the turbo. I rekon the type Rs are crazy for N/A.

Cheers

hahah start a fight?

this is how we treat other normally... :P

McChook
10-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Its OK. they can flame me all they like, doesn't make me think less of them. In fact, it is impossible to think any less of them already :D jk

It would be boring if everyone had the same opinions....

A'PEXi
10-04-2004, 11:58 AM
turbo, if you just want outright more power for less money :D

Weq
10-04-2004, 12:49 PM
ADVAN Silverwater. $4-5K

:roll:
U can import turbo kits for around $2500 - (5psi) at current echange rates. Will give u equal power to that of a vti-r. Add cooler(looses 1psi) + 2 psi, thats a vti-r teg. Add some injectors + 3psi thats type-r.

McChook
10-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Do the kits come with any sort of tuning device??

Weq
10-04-2004, 01:01 PM
a progrogrammed emanage is supplied, along with an injector harness. All u need is the softwre+cable (which can be had cheap via the yahoo group) and u got urself a fully tuneable piggyback.

McChook
10-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Not too shabby..... For that price too, very reasonable, but I guess time will eventually tell..

Whats the comp ratio on a ZC anyway?? or a D16Y...

EG5
10-04-2004, 02:24 PM
Not too shabby..... For that price too, very reasonable, but I guess time will eventually tell..

Whats the comp ratio on a ZC anyway?? or a D16Y...

if im not mistaken ZC compression ratio is 9.5:1
pretty good for 6-10 psi max on stock internal.

try REvhard turbo kit or try AVO turbo kit.

crx2gen
11-04-2004, 12:49 AM
EG5: you're correct on the compression rato.

Chi: You have PM...

wynode
11-04-2004, 01:24 AM
Some people just forget to read the topic title/first thread. And the thread starter even said he wants to stick with his ZC. Anyways i've said what i've had to say.

*sigh*

11-04-2004, 10:01 AM
EG5- does the Rev hard turbo kit include everything that is needed in turboing a car?

EG5
11-04-2004, 10:28 AM
EG5- does the Rev hard turbo kit include everything that is needed in turboing a car?

yes , it includes everything you need to turbocharge your car.
http://www.revhard.com/turbo_kits.html
if u want Zc turbo kit , go for D series kits.

geo41e
11-04-2004, 12:41 PM
That ADVAN place goin for 4 - 5K...
how many psi is that runing, how big is the intercooler? front or top mount?
whats the compression ratio change to, and how reliable?