PDA

View Full Version : help - prelude starts then shuts off

zoopsta
08-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Hi guys

My 94 lude vti-r has a problem.

I go in to start the car normally and it starts fine, but then when i let go of the key (so it goes from "start" position to "on" position"), the car just shuts off.

Whats going on?! :confused:

flipmods
08-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Sorry to be negative but it can be one of many things, firstly you will need to give us more info, like when it started doing it, how long does it stay running?, does the engine revs struggle before dying? Your bank account details? Just joking, yeah could be many things.

EuroDude
08-02-2006, 11:55 AM
When you say "Starts fine", do you mean the engine actually fires up and starts running? Or does it just keep on cranking over unable to start the engine?

First thing I would check is the Spark plugs, then the Distrubutor.

Bowzer
08-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Sounds like the ignition swtich is on its way out. Over the years the contacts wear out you can try take it out and clean the metal contacts but most cases you need to replace it.

Slow96GSR
08-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Sounds like the ignition swtich is on its way out. Over the years the contacts wear out you can try take it out and clean the metal contacts but most cases you need to replace it.

Cheaper and easier to just replace it if you have to take it to a shop to have it done.

ECU-MAN
08-02-2006, 09:40 PM
sounds like the ignition switch

do you loose reds when it dies, ( as in your cluster lights )

check the DIY section,

Mr_will
08-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi guys

My 94 lude vti-r has a problem.

I go in to start the car normally and it starts fine, but then when i let go of the key (so it goes from "start" position to "on" position"), the car just shuts off.

Whats going on?! :confused:

i agree with the guys who've said ignition switch, but if that doesnt fix it, possibly fuel pump relay?

zoopsta
09-02-2006, 01:47 AM
Yes to those who said it was the ignition switch, cheers

spanks
14-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Has become a problem over recent years that the ignition switches contacts wear especially with SRS equipped cars..as the SRS system goes through its self diagnostic checks at every start up,it sends higher voltage through the switch and effects the contacts at a higher rate than that of non SRS cars..